What are the best taking lenses for the Iscorama 36?

roccoforte

I've been experimenting with a bunch of older M42 and M-Mount lenses on Sony's, including:

SMC Takumar 50 1.4, Auto Takumar 55 1.8, Helios 44-2 1.8, Leica 90 Summicron 2.0 and others. They all seem great but what's the "general consensus" about taking lenses for the Iscorama? As I understand it, modern or multi-coated are considered not as good; why is this? Does this include the SMC Takumars? What's the sharpest and "cleanest" 50mm for full frame or 35mm for APS-C? Any info appreciated. Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

As a rule of thumb, simple recipe lenses do work best & the least amount of MC the better.

A good copy of the Helios 44-2 58mm f2 is one of the best, if not the best.

The Super-Takumar 55mm f1.8 or 50mm 1.4 are good (not the SMC versions).

The Nikon Ai-s 50mm f1.8 pancake, as are the other ai-s lenses (don't go E version, they're not in the same league).

As for 35mm, I have found the Mir-24M 35mm f2 (M42 mount) is an amazing lens.

But in the end it's all about personal taste, so it's your choice/opinion that counts.

3 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

As a rule of thumb, simple recipe lenses do work best & the least amount of MC the better.

The Nikon Ai-s 50mm f1.8 pancake, as are the other ai-s lenses (don't go E version, they're not in the same league).

As for 35mm, I have found the Mir-24M 35mm f2 (M42 mount) is an amazing lens.

But in the end it's all about personal taste, so it's your choice/opinion that counts.

Oh, I don't know there are different version.  I thought pancake lens are E version.  You are right.  E version is AI lens.

But I really mind radioactive lens, especially majority  of Super-Takumar.  And also yellowish is not good color too.

I said OM 50 1.2 might be the only f1.2 lens with 49mm filter thread.

Interesting, I hadn't considered a zoom lens.

I'm leaning towards the Mir 1b 35mm (although they all seem to be multicoated) and/or Olympus OM F2 35mm for APS-c. Reading a lot of complaints about the Takumar 35mm though. I do like the look of the auto-Takumar 50 for FF.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Generally, zoom lens has disadvantage, IMO.  I used 70-210 with Elmoscope II on FF camera  Need at least 100mm to get rid of vignettes.  And at 210mm end, the IQ is poorer too.  Usually, fixed focal prime lens filter thread size is smaller then zoom lens with the same aperture.  Or other words, with the same size filter thread, prime lens has larger aperture to use.

• 1 year later...
On 30/06/2016 at 3:22 PM, Bioskop.Inc said:

Aren't the AIS Multi coated though ? From what i've read, only some really early E versions have single coating, like this one. Those after 1972 have MC : 

50mm-f2-KEN_4011.jpg

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/50mm-f2.htm

The rule of thumb is that not all MC lenses are equal - some lenses say multi-coated & are in fact single coated. A case in point is the Mir24M, which states is MC but flares very well. Basically, for the best flares look for a lens that has a gold type coating - when you hold it up to the light you'll know what i mean by gold coating.

As far as the AIS lenses go, whether they flare or not, they are a very good match for the Iscorama.