Sharp full frame lenses for 2X anamorphic

zerocool22

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 21 June 2016 at 10:09 AM, zerocool22 said:

Yeah I have a kowa bell and howell, that should be the sharpest cheap anamorphic out there. but if I start with a unsharp lens, it will not improve the sharpness overall. So I just want to make sure I got the sharpest lenses out there. 

Well Elmo II, 8Z are exactly the same as B&H but cheaper again, although I get your point.

my copy of Canon FD 55mm f1.2 is very sharp even wide open, and the bokeh @ 1.2 is just sick!

but for 5Dmkiii i am afraid 55mm is not wide enough, 85mm f1.4 rokinon is dirt cheap and has very good picture, Nikon AI is a bit more expensive but it's an excellent piece of glass.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course it all depends on a thousand different factors including the specific sample of the lens you get, but I've found that my Russian Helios 44M, Zeiss Jena 35mm f2.4 Flektogon and Minolta Rokkor 58mm f1.2 are all tack sharp at "reasonable" settings.  Maybe you could explain your shooting requirements and environment a little more.

Honestly I will never understand the rat-race for sharpness. I don't need that for video. furthermore I often tend to blur that clinical sharp digital image... Iam more interested in Resolution, color rendition, practicality. Just think about all the modern glass, most of them are super sharp I think.

9 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Well I shoot a lot at open apurtures at F1.4 at night , So I would need something that is sharp at 1.4 (or 1.8, max fstop 2.0) 

I think if a lens is sharp, don't need to stop down.  It is always sharp.   I have OM 55 1.2 and 50 1.2.  Both are sharper than Nikon Ais 50 1.2 at 1.2. 

14 hours ago, Rudolf said:

Honestly I will never understand the rat-race for sharpness. I don't need that for video. furthermore I often tend to blur that clinical sharp digital image... Iam more interested in Resolution, color rendition, practicality. Just think about all the modern glass, most of them are super sharp I think.

well it depends on what camera you are shooting with, yeah if you shoot with a GH4 sure you dont need sharp lenses. if you shoot with a 5D then you best can get  the sharpest lenses out there as the image is soft.