Chasing a simple GH4 Matte Box shade / flag solution

Matt Holder

I have a gh4 and all my lenses (all native and blessedly compact m43s) have variable NDS that can be easily removed.

I am chasing a simplified mattebox WITHOUT the need to drop in filters / nds etc - effectively just the ability to flag / shade light (especially backlit stuff) and reflections coming into the lens.

While still having easy access to the variable nd rotation

Does anyone out ther have any experience with a simple solution to this? 

Cheers!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 hours ago, tupp said:

For years, I've used this plastic, rod-mounted lens shade.

The backlight on those plastic-flag boxes seems like a big problem. Unless you bring a roll of black tape, it's just covered with gaps. With 4x4's you have to really watch backlighting or there's a reflection of a focus gear in your footage. (Though the OP isn't concerned with 4x4's). Those things seems like they're just made to "look like you have a matte box", but I guess the flags may help when there's nothing else?

I got an Indian matte box for my son, 2 stages, one rotates, metal flags, standard rod mount and height adjustable - I still use the thing, for $300 it was pretty surprising. But that's a big leap from twenty bucks...

14 minutes ago, M Carter said:

The backlight on those plastic-flag boxes seems like a big problem. Unless you bring a roll of black tape, it's just covered with gaps. With 4x4's you have to really watch backlighting or there's a reflection of a focus gear in your footage.

That's not a problem as there are no filter stages -- you still have to use screw-on filters with this lens shade.  So, there is nothing (other than the black doors themselves) that would reflect the "backlight" back into the lens.  However, you could use a  foam matte box "donut" if you are really concerned about bounce-back from the doors.

The doors and eyebrow have saved me on countless occasions from having to set flags.