How about YET another "Guess the Camera?"

bootsie

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I think these things are more fun when you do the following:

- Expose properly
- Use an interesting shot to grab peoples attention
- Have 3 or more comparison shots, shot using different cameras
- Tell us what those cameras were, then allow us to link the shot to the camera
- Shoot wide open on the lens so we can tell look the sensor size / optics are giving. The shot you used is flat and doesn't give anything away at all :)

5 minutes ago, hmcindie said:

It's probably an AVCHD camera edited in Premiere Pro with deinterlacing on (the couch has some weird things going on in the lines there).

It could be a Sony FS100/FS700.

I think he upscaled 1080p  to something 4K with a simple method, that's why there are stairsteps. But it could even be both things at the same time.

On 6/18/2016 at 3:59 AM, Zach Goodwin said:

Underexposed like this can serve its purpose in films. My theater professor uses it to show it is so dark in the room that people can not tell where everyone is. Like in a Scooby Doo situation where there is stuff bouncing everywhere and lights turn on and you see people. Or a murder or anything dealing with not seeing anything. Again movies are visual communication, so what we see in that picture is what we get.

I dunno, I think exposing properly and creating the ambiance in post was the way to go with todays codecs that do not hold shadow information properly.
But I guess there's not one way to do it. Only the end results matters.

On 18/06/2016 at 11:59 AM, Zach Goodwin said:

Underexposed like this can serve its purpose in films. My theater professor uses it to show it is so dark in the room that people can not tell where everyone is. Like in a Scooby Doo situation where there is stuff bouncing everywhere and lights turn on and you see people. Or a murder or anything dealing with not seeing anything. Again movies are visual communication, so what we see in that picture is what we get.

There's a difference between creative under-exposure, or balancing levels of exposure relative to the chosen aperture, and general under-exposure.

Take this example frame from Miller's Crossing. It's not underexposed, everything is designed in such a way that it feels like night-time. The important thing is ensuring your bright spots are sitting right - in the OP shots, the bright spots are underexposed, and so the exposure should be bumped. Alternately, it may be a log gamma shot, or not have had it's exposure corrected properly from a log shot.

Millers_Crossing_Example.jpg