Can I fix a Speed Booster's smeared edges?

Zak Forsman

I own two Metabones BMPCC EF mount Speed Boosters. Today I was trying them out with an anamorphic rig (Kowa B&H) using an EF mount Voigtländer 40mm f/2 as a taking lens. Seen here...

Wh2OOxO.jpg

Sadly, I saw soft, smeared edges at the far reaches of the frame. Before deciding that this particular setup just wasn't going to work, I tried the second Speed Booster and noticed a big improvement. So I immediately did a quick test of identical frames, seen below. These are grabs from the very top of the frame.

b4arxpw.jpg

This shows the worse of the two, on top. And the better booster on the bottom. I've verified that the smeary edges on the top are not motion blur from wind or anything like that. The second one, while sharper, is not quite as sharp as the center of the frame. but it's much closer, so i wonder if it's improvable.

Both of these Speed Boosters have been adjusted to lock in infinity focus by loosening and rotating the rear optic. and they both keep my Sigma 18-35mm parfocal. But now i'm wondering if there is something else I can do, or a specific adjustment to be made that will eliminate the smeared edges for this particular setup. Anyone had success tinkering with their Speed Booster optics to get rid of soft edges?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Zak Forsman said:

zach, i love you, but please... i'm hoping for some insight from people who have first-hand experience with optics. don't derail my thread before it's even had a chance to begin. in that spirit, this post does not require a reply.

I don't have first hand experience but I would check every corner and compare. One might be better in one corner and the other way around. Maybe the optics don't sit correctly in the helicoid?

yeah, it's definitely improved across the board -- top, bottom, left, right. and center frame is equally sharp on both. the difference is only at the edges. if I can find the time, I'll start experimenting with how the rear optical cell is seated, but was hoping someone else out there might have already done the same.

What exactly do you mean by 'rear optic'? I have two Lens Turbo's and  both were adapted ...but I did so by adjusting the lens unit, not a by adjusting the rear optic within the unit.
First thing that come to mind is the little screw on the side. It should only fastened so slightly. Enough to not get stuck within the mount and loose enough to not push the unit out of it's center position ...and mess up yor corners(?)

Thanks for the input everyone. Truly appreciated. I believe gsenroc was right. This morning I went to work on the worse of the two speed boosters, adjusting the rear optical element for infinity focus again, but also holding it in place with my thumb so that tightening the holding screw wouldn't lift it up. that basically did the trick. at f/1.4 I can still see the slightest variation at the edges, but at f/1.8 it's sharp across the board.