If you were to design a Canon 5Dc, what specs would it have?

Michael Ma

I know we're in fantasy land, but a camera like this would make sense to me.

12MP full frame (like the A7S)

Great battery life.

Dual sided fully articulating screen (180 degree flip like the 70D/GH4).  Dual sided for camera rigidity.  I never needed the tilt.

C-Log

10bit 4:2:2 and raw

Some weight reduction over the regular 5D Mark IV.

4K up to 60p

1080p up to 240p

Under $3000.

You might be saying, why not just get a A7S II?  The articulating screen.  I really need one.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Well, let my post be a one on how it's going to bevrather on how I dream it to be: 

-24-28 mp sensor 
DPAF 
FF UHD (not 1.3x or 4K)
120p HD
No Clog
8fps shutter
cfast 2.0 slot and CF SLOT
fixed higher res LCD
30p max UHD 

First of all, what is a "5DC"? I've never heard of such a thing from Canon corporate.

Canon won't even give you the features you have listed in the $6000 1DX II. Do you really think they will give them to you for under $3000 and in a 5D body within the Cinema EOS line?

4K 4:2:2 10 bit internal would be a stretch for the 1D body, with its far superior heat management, recording data rate, and processing power relative to the 5D cameras. It would simply be impossible in a 5D form factor with current sensor and heat sink technology.

Here is what you are going to get in any future 5D Mark IV (which Canon hasn't even announced or acknowledged):

UHD 8 bit 4:2:2 XF-AVC (just like the codec in the XC10, if you are "lucky")

UHD 30p / HD 60p

No C-Log

No DPAF

Look at it this way, it could be much worse. At least, unlike the 1D cameras, it might get something from Magic Lantern . . .

Since we are in fantasy land, I would scrap the 5DC idea altogether and create something totally new....

We want small, DSLR-esque cameras... not too big, not too small.

In my opinion, they had a good idea with the XC10 - only down side (for me at least) - small sensor & fixed lens.

If I were to design a camera it would be a prograde version of the XC10 (minus the red button) super 35mm - ILC - 18-20MP

5K at 60fps (no crop)

4K at 120fps (slight crop)

3K at 240fps (more crop)

2K @ 300fps (most cropped)

All of them relatively sharp, C-Log, better and usuable codec.

All for $6K to $7.5K (USD)

I mean the whole premise of Canon releasing a camera with these specs is kind of ridiculous. That being said...

24 MP Full frame

Shoots 4K in two modes: Full Frame (downsampled from 6K) and APSC (downsampled from ~5K) (APSC optimized for rolling shutter performance)

4K 60p (crop), HD 120p

Native 800 ISO

C-Log

more robust codec

Built in NDs

Outputs 12 bit Raw to an external recorder