How Do You Record Audio To Your Arri Alexa Mini?

bowielow

I was just curious what do you guys usually do when recording audio to or with the Alexa Mini. Do you record it separately from the camera? How then do you sync it? If you are recording it directly to the camera, how do you do it? The way I do it is through an external timecode generator and I record audio separately, but one one-man shoots that is usually a huge pain in the butt. The Alexa Mini has a 5-pin lemo connector, which is so new I think I've only seen on this camera. There might already be some adaptor solutions out there but the fact that the camera only accepts line level audio means I can't use those portable preamps because they usually output to a 1/8" stereo mini jack. Have you guys found a preamp that outputs to one or two XLRs? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You can sync dual system audio using Genlock timecode and/or with a slate.

I don't know how you'd monitor your internal audio either, unless maybe you use an external monitor or recorder with a headphone jack. Realistically, unmonitorable line-level audio is little more than a good cue/scratch track.

I'm doing a documentary in rural parts of South East Asia (i.e Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia etc), it's going to be a two-man (max) film crew with a one host. We could've used a cheaper camera and gotten a sound guy but I wanted to use the Alexa Mini. I actually bought the Mini. I'm coming from the FS7 so I have pretty much very little idea what I'm getting myself into here. I will be using an external recorder that's for sure, but I need some form of scratch audio into the video footage so I can sync them afterwards. I thought about timecode using the Tentacle Syncs that I'm contemplating to buy but honestly I have no idea how to use them, I always synced my audio using waveforms. I've done a little bit of research into timecodes and the timecode modes, and realised that the best option is just to set it on 24 hour run because I can't possibly be timecode jamming all the time when I'm moving around. 

I just found out about the MixPre-D that allows me to output to two 3-pin XLR that I could possibly just adapt to the 5-pin lemo but that seems like a very bulky option. I really hope someone makes a portable preamp that outputs to a 5-pin lemo so I don't have to go through all these conversions. 

11 hours ago, bowielow said:

I'm doing a documentary in rural parts of South East Asia (i.e Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia etc), it's going to be a two-man (max) film crew with a one host. We could've used a cheaper camera and gotten a sound guy but I wanted to use the Alexa Mini. I actually bought the Mini.

Let me know if you're looking for a second crew member! I have a lot of experience with one or two man band style shooting and am interested in making docs and traveling... especially interested in South East Asia, even spent 10 days in central Asia shooting on and off this past December. Plus I'm a pretty good sound guy with my own kit though admittedly a much better camera guy. I'm from the wedding video industry too (shot around 50 this past year), but I'm transitioning out to focus more on commercial work and documentary stuff now. If you just cover travel and living expenses over there for me with 2 days of break to enjoy it then I'd gladly go out there for a week or two without worrying about taking into consideration daily rates and what not. I went to Nicaragua, China, and Cuba last year to shoot with at least Colombia (2x), El Salvador, Jamaica, and the Bahamas on the list for this year. 

11 hours ago, AnthonyWithNoH said:

Let me know if you're looking for a second crew member! I have a lot of experience with one or two man band style shooting and am interested in making docs and traveling... especially interested in South East Asia, even spent 10 days in central Asia shooting on and off this past December. Plus I'm a pretty good sound guy with my own kit though admittedly a much better camera guy. I'm from the wedding video industry too (shot around 50 this past year), but I'm transitioning out to focus more on commercial work and documentary stuff now. If you just cover travel and living expenses over there for me with 2 days of break to enjoy it then I'd gladly go out there for a week or two without worrying about taking into consideration daily rates and what not. I went to Nicaragua, China, and Cuba last year to shoot with at least Colombia (2x), El Salvador, Jamaica, and the Bahamas on the list for this year. 

That's really nice to hear mate but I already got a guy. To accommodate you we'd probably have to give up the Alexa Mini but this is a once in a lifetime experience and I want to use that camera. I really hope you get to go on projects like mine too though, I was lucky. 

On 5/31/2016 at 6:25 AM, bowielow said:

I've done a little bit of research into timecodes and the timecode modes, and realised that the best option is just to set it on 24 hour run because I can't possibly be timecode jamming all the time when I'm moving around. 

Unlike other cameras, Alexa cameras do a great job and holding to correct time code. Set it up in the morning, rejam at lunch, and  you should be fine and good to go. 

I can't see why you couldn't have your audio guy set you up with a feed just like any other camera. Most of the time, this comes in the form of a wireless pack that plugs into the camera, which assumedly would be sending line level. No reason why you couldn't get/make an adapter to put line level into the Mini from the 1/8" wireless pack.