Sony FS700... worthwhile investment in 2016?

John_Harrison

2 hours ago, Liszon said:

Hey Ben,

I would be very interested in seeing some original 4K raw files since I might be in the market for an FS700 in the future.

If you would be so kind to upload something I would really appreciate it.

Totally. The HQ might be too big, but I can send you some Pro Res LT S-LOG 2 stuff for you to play with tomorrow. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, BenEricson said:

5D3 blows it away. It's nearly impossible to get a saturated commercial look out of the FS700. You can get a nice grade, or something interesting, but you won't get that canon look. 

The F3 actually produces really really nice, cinematic looking color. The FS700 can't even come close to the F3...

I have to disagree with this. Not with the fact that you don't like the look, this is clearly a matter of taste and many people don't like sony's colors. But with the "blows it away" thing. i would agree if were talking about it's internal codec where the image (especially when shooting slog) brakes apart when you try to bring it on par with Canon. But with a Shogun or an Odyssey device there is no look that can't achieve with this camera. I can ensure you that i had a really hard time to make the opposite: to match the 5d iii with Sony and bring up those silky ugly skintones which everyone hates (i totally understand this) but i kinda like them...I guess a more talented colorist can do this though...

11 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Totally. The HQ might be too big, but I can send you some Pro Res LT S-LOG 2 stuff for you to play with tomorrow. 

That's great Ben, thanks a lot! I will hit you up with a PM.

16 hours ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

I have to disagree with this. Not with the fact that you don't like the look, this is clearly a matter of taste and many people don't like sony's colors. But with the "blows it away" thing. i would agree if were talking about it's internal codec where the image (especially when shooting slog) brakes apart when you try to bring it on par with Canon. But with a Shogun or an Odyssey device there is no look that can't achieve with this camera. I can ensure you that i had a really hard time to make the opposite: to match the 5d iii with Sony and bring up those silky ugly skintones which everyone hates (i totally understand this) but i kinda like them...I guess a more talented colorist can do this though...

I get what you're saying. The FS700 is really nice to use because of the slow motion, internal ND, XLR, and the 4k. The sony FS7 seems to nail color a lot better and there's some magic cameras like the Sony F3 that just have beautiful color. I use the c300ii at work, the 5D raw for personal stuff, and I just recently picked up a micro cinema camera as well. The only camera I struggle with color wise is the FS700. It doesn't matter how flat the image or how many bits I am supposedly getting...

The first frame below is 4K FS700, the second is 1080p Black Magic Micro. I just can't get a film look out of the Sony. It always makes skin look too white, and if I warm up the scene, everything gets murky looking.

I have some 4K footage currently uploading if anyone is interested in grading it, I would love to see your results.

That being said, the Sony FS700/7Q is not a bad investment. I doubt the value will drop too far below what it is currently. It is probably good for another 4/5 years, which is insane because it's already 4/5 years old.

4k_FS700.jpg

BMCC_!.jpg

Edit: Link to raw footage if anyone wants it. A bunch of 4k/60p in various lighting.

https://we.tl/xE0joWj5Tw

9 hours ago, BenEricson said:

I get what you're saying. The FS700 is really nice to use because of the slow motion, internal ND, XLR, and the 4k. The sony FS7 seems to nail color a lot better and there's some magic cameras like the Sony F3 that just have beautiful color. I use the c300ii at work, the 5D raw for personal stuff, and I just recently picked up a micro cinema camera as well. The only camera I struggle with color wise is the FS700. It doesn't matter how flat the image or how many bits I am supposedly getting...

Thanks for the footage! I am downloading it right now to see what you are facing. I guess the problem lies on the skintones because the overall scene (1rst frame) seems nicely saturated.

10 hours ago, BenEricson said:

I just can't get a film look out of the Sony. It always makes skin look too white, and if I warm up the scene, everything gets murky looking.

I had a go with your footage - for which I can't thank you enough.

I am pretty satisfied with what I am seeing here. Well, I only spent a few minutes on it but so far the image feels very similar to my BMPCC.

That first image with the girl standing in front of the river, I think it's just a matter of a few unfortunate circumstances. When I checked that in 4K the focus seemed off, the highlights were clipping a bit and there's some ghosting around them too. Hard to pull a decent grade on it. Actually it is always hard to work with skin tones if they are in the shadows with a strong back light.

I found the rest of the shots very agreeable, for example this one I could drag in any directions:

04.jpg

03.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

I intentionally pulled up the luminance on the oranges and yellows, to separate the guy from the background better, but I could have easily made them more contrasty. This one is a good scenario, you have the black asphalt and the blue sky, easy to make the skin tones pop without changing the rest of the shot, unlike the other one with the girl where the colour of the sand/rocks were in a similar range to her skin.

11 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Edit: Link to raw footage if anyone wants it. A bunch of 4k/60p in various lighting.

Here is my go at it. Added a custom Slog3 curve to the"main" node and then two more nodes to adjust shadow/mids/highlights and added some Saturation. No colorgrading.

fs700_01.jpg

fs700_02.jpg

fs700_03.jpg

fs700_04.jpg

another shot this time with ColorCorrection. BTW something weird happend The skateborder is way darker in the picture above than in the uploaded file. Uploaded it again, first one how it should have been second one the cc version. Note to admin: If a post has a quote you can't edit it later on.

fs700_01.jpg

fs700_01cc.jpg

fs700_04cc.jpg

2 hours ago, bunk said:

another shot this time with ColorCorrection. BTW something weird happend The skateborder is way darker in the picture above than in the uploaded file. Uploaded it again, first one how it should have been second one the cc version. Note to admin: If a post has a quote you can't edit it later on.

fs700_01.jpg

This is probably my favorite look out of the lot. Close to canon in a  lot of ways. A nice light blue sky, nice looking skin as well. 

6 hours ago, Liszon said:

That first image with the girl standing in front of the river, I think it's just a matter of a few unfortunate circumstances. When I checked that in 4K the focus seemed off, the highlights were clipping a bit and there's some ghosting around them too. Hard to pull a decent grade on it. Actually it is always hard to work with skin tones if they are in the shadows with a strong back light.

That lens is actually a vintage 50mm 1.4 Olympus Lens. It was all the way open so looks kind of soft. I wanted to get away from the super super sharp look. Also, you basically have to expose your shadows to at least 20 IRE, anything below that will result in a ton of noise. The 4k/60p is probably my favorite thing from this camera. 

If I get time, I can post some more footage. This is my favorite looking FS700/7Q footage. I think he shoots raw...

https://vimeo.com/121079207

• 11 months later...
20 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I think now with the Atomos having a new recorder to do 4K 60fps and even their oldest 4K recorder the Shogun being able to do FS raw, it makes the FS700 still quite attractive even another year later in 2017!

I am having mixed feelings from my first tests. IQ is stunning but i am having lots of those kangaroo skippy warnings on screen and the device splits my recording every time this happens. I am using a brand new Sandisk Extreme Pro 512 GB SSD (recommended) and a proper 3G-SDI cable, so i have no idea why this happens. It's a pain, and the extra step in Resolve...hmmm...maybe i will give this a pass.

• 1 year later...
On 6/1/2016 at 1:37 PM, BenEricson said:

That being said, the Sony FS700/7Q is not a bad investment. I doubt the value will drop too far below what it is currently. It is probably good for another 4/5 years, which is insane because it's already 4/5 years old.

Is funny looking back at this thread, as only two years later it dropped even further! To half or even a third of the price!