THE BEST OF CANON 5D4 IS THE CANON 5D3

Katrikura

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Alex himself and ML are really working on getting ML to the 7D Mark II?

That camera has a huge buffer and card speed thus will do FULL HD RAW 14big Continuous like the 5DIII. 

It'd kill pretty much everything else on the market as a film/video/stills hybrid (nx1, gh4, etc). 

Canon always come off on top due to a third party tweaker, while their own official delivered products are severely lacking vs the competition. 

I will DEFINITELY  get a 7D MARK II if it gets a magic lantern built and shoots RAW! 

5D s35 raw 14bit image, I can use my beloved 10-18mm STM for wide colourful 14bit labdscapes, 35mm IS for cinema, tack sharp 55-250mm for teles, all with perfect Autofocus whilst shooting raw. A non paralleled proposition for camera geeks and image lovers. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

please stop this "raw video color looks better because its 14 bit" notion. raw has no looks. you give it to that. in case of raw DNG file, probably Adobe gives it to that. Jpeg is 8 bit. all the fine art photographs you've ever seen in 500px.com are 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 8 bit (heck many of them are HDR). so even heavily subsampled heavily compressed files can contain the color magic you are looking for. blame the "looks making engine" inside the camera, not its internal bandwidth. 

36 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

please stop this "raw video color looks better because its 14 bit" notion. raw has no looks. you give it to that. in case of raw DNG file, probably Adobe gives it to that. Jpeg is 8 bit. all the fine art photographs you've ever seen in 500px.com are 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 8 bit (heck many of them are HDR). so even heavily subsampled heavily compressed files can contain the color magic you are looking for. blame the "looks making engine" inside the camera, not its internal bandwidth. 

There are two problems, firstly the image processors in most cameras suck, second, if you want to make adjusments, you need more bits or even pre-debayer data

But you already knew that.

56 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

This is precisely what I have been saying. RAW definitely has an advantage in post, but a camera's color science is far more important than the fact that it shoots in RAW. This why so many 8-bit Canon cameras look so good when it comes to skin tones or true-to-life color capture. It's also why RED cameras have such an advantage over BMD, despite the fact that they both give you 12 bit RAW.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
2 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

please stop this "raw video color looks better because its 14 bit" notion. raw has no looks. you give it to that. in case of raw DNG file, probably Adobe gives it to that. Jpeg is 8 bit. all the fine art photographs you've ever seen in 500px.com are 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 8 bit (heck many of them are HDR). so even heavily subsampled heavily compressed files can contain the color magic you are looking for. blame the "looks making engine" i

You're saying stop saying X whilst noone actually did.

Nobody is saying 14bit is the ''only'' reason the colours look better. 

13 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

The 5D MKII is lower than full 1920x1080p so needs upscaling a bit. It also has horrendous moire and aliasing due to the nature of the sensor downsampling method (line-skipping), therefore needs a quite not-so-cheap Anti aliasing filter to be placed inside the lens mount (making the camera only usable in liveview as the mirror cannot come down with the filter installed, thus you have to remove-reinsert the filter if you use it for stills, and it's an amazing FF stills camera that you'll want to use it I promise. It also has no slowmotion raw capability or 2K + resolutions. 

It IS very pretty and very close image wise to the 5D IIi RAW, but if you want to have more than an experimental camera and have a production ready FF raw camera, I advice very much stretching for a used 5D MKIII. 

The image has no aliasing or moire straight off the box, has at least 2 stops lowlight advantage, is sharper (Card can write the full 1920x1080 raw continuous plus the downsampling of the sensor is pixel binning rather than the line-skipping on the 5DII, this makes the MKIII overally a clearer modern-standard 1080p (C100/300 standard). The Feature and overall Magiclantern development is more stable and is performed by the top ML mods, plus there seems to be other great featurea coming in the future. 

I wouldn't worry about a 5D IV at all becauae we all know it's not going to shoot 14bit Raw 444 internally and will be a different kind of camera (8bit UHD most likely) without all the usability features ML provides. 

As I said earlier it will take canon a few generations to catch up to the 5DIII feature set and 14bit 444 raw image quality aside from reaolution. 

Thanks for the info Ebrahim. 

The stuff I've seen shot on 5D raw is pretty special. Love the motion cadence and deep colours.