Compact camera for run&gun filmmaking

JazzBox

Ciao! 

Most of the time I shoot music video with very low budget  and little time.

For the last video I shot we had less then 3 hours, because the location's owner gave it for free to this band just for the lunchtime. I had to put the lights, to dispose the band, to shoot and to change lenses between the shots... so it was a very "run&gun" situation. I wanted to use the Micro Cinema Camera with Video Assist, but I felt safer with my trusty GH4, easier to control for WB, shutter etc...

So, I'm thinking to buy a little camera that could help me to go even quicker without loosing quality. 

I have read Andrew's review of Sony RX IV, Panasonic GX80 and Panasonic LX100. I also saw a nice Leica D-LUX Typ 109, that seems the LX100 twin.

Of course with GX80 I could sell my GH4 and continue using my Contax Zeiss lenses, but maybe I could have great results also with the compact cameras.

Do you have any suggestion about those four cameras?

How about codec quality in 4K (and 1080 slow motion), color science, dynamic range, battery life, eventual overheating issues, LCD / EVF quality etc...? 

Which one would you pick? Would you take the GH4 or sell it?

Thank you very much!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey!

With compacts such as LX100 it´s tricky with manual focus, since it´s fly by wire. I myself handled the LX100 in a store. From that though limited experience

I must say, I didnt like the fly by wire focus, neither the ergonomy, neither the EVF for videoshooting or updating from my cheap G6.

Jase has quiet some experience shooting with it so maybe he can say more about handling and focussing.

For professional filming with little time I think GH4 is just great. Battery life, large EVF.

Don´t sell it unless GH5 comes up:) Maybe you like the handling and stabilization of the GX80. But still GH4 with Hdmi out, long battery life,

mic input, things the GX80 doesn´t have.

cheers

Since I am a run & gun type of guy I can tell you about my experiences with The LX100, the RX100 IV and the GX80. In my opinion, the whole choice boils down to the following aspects:

- how important is a zoom for you?

- how important is size for you?

- how important is focus pulling / grading for you?

I first started with a GM1 in combination with a fully manual prime. Loved it, but due to GAS i thought i could even ante it up. Then I had a odysee of different cameras: A7s, which I liked for low light and hated for the price and the color (although one can achieve pretty good results out of the box with manual WB and a good profile). Went with an A6000. Liked the Zebras, the punch in zoom (in fact i liked the functionality), didnt like the colors that much. Then I went with the LX100. Perfect compromise for a small package with decent DoF and a good stabilized zoom. Didnt like focus pulling, started to hate fly by wire. However, although I did know better, GAS once again striked back after reading the awesome review of the RX100 IV by Andrew. Bought it, it has amazing features, but the image just dont feel right. In the end, i kept on tweaking and tweaking and did not take the camera for many shots with me because I just was not satisfied. And DoF just sucks. Really, if you want decent DoF control, dont go for it.

After using both the LX100 and the RX100, i kind of went back to the roots. Rebought my Voigtländer - back in prime land. Bought the GX80 and I love it. Awesome stabilisation and the image feels right.

Long story short: 

RX100 iV if:

• you need 120fps
  • you need the smalles package
  • you dont need DoF
  • you dont mind fly by wire
  • you somehow are able to grade Sony cameras

LX100 if:

• you need a compact package with zoom and stabilisation
  • you somewant need DoF but it is not on your primary list
  • you dont care about shitty focus pulling due to fly by wire

GX80 if:

• you dont necessary need a compact package with a zoom that has a better f-Stop than a kit lens
  • you like stabilisation
  • you like manual lenses
  • you like easy grading capabilities
  • you like changing lenses in general

In general I can sign all the people saying they dont "feel" the Sony image. I tricked myself by telling "i can surely do better". However I dont. In fact I like the Panasonic image.

Thank you very much to you both!!

Did you made any comparison in the Panasonic family (GH4, GX80, LX100)? Did you tried the Leica D-Lux Typ 109?
The stabilization is gimbal-like (something you can walk with) or for slow movements? 

Huge thanks for your great tips! 

Compacts like that tend to have a lot of compromises that get in the way of effective shooting--no headphone/mic jacks, no nd, no filter threads, lousy battery life, limited zoom, flimsy build, no hotshoe, etc.

The absolute fastest run and gun camera I've worked with is the RX10 (II). Fast aperture, comprehensive zoom range, 3 stop internal nd, filter threads, mic and headphone jacks, excellent stabilization, decent preamps, very sharp 1080p, solid hfr, not bad in low light, weather sealed, evf, articulating screen, and okay battery life. It just gets out of the way and gives you the shot.

The original RX10 can be had basically new for ~$450. If you're okay with the bridge camera form factor instead of a compact, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

When you try to keep it steady, you can also walk with the lx100, but you have to walk carefully.

batterylife is awesomely crappy on rx100 side of things. Lx100 has the same battery as gx80 and last twice as long although i did not run any scientific test..

Charging can be done via usb or via external charger, however the big flaw is that you only can charge while being powered off unless you have a special adapter. Rx100 can charge while using it, which is a big plus for timelapse stuff.

After using 5axis stabilization for a year and a half now, I gotta say I'm somewhat reliant on it. The ability to shoot clean stable shots without a tripod is wonderful. Also, drifting and creating small dolly shots is easy and fun. 

I'd love to get a GX7markII, but really need the audio input for a documentary series I'm doing.  (Not enough time in post production to record then sync hours upon hours of outboard broll audio) so I'm sticking with my EM5II for now.

If you don't require that sort of audio, Pany's new cam with 5axis would be my ideal; also, manual lenses with a speedbooster. 

Got my hands on the camera yesterday. The stabilizer is on par, if not a touch better, than Oly's