28mm lenses with long focus throw? Usability of combined wideangle adapter

PannySVHS

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

the Nikon AIS 28MM f2.8 is one of the best 28mms ever made optically no distortion edge to edge - it is Nikons finest hour! not much comes even close to it - plus long throw for follow focus ,these Nikon AIS lenses (the glass out of them )were used as the base spherical elements in Panavision E series Anamorphics - they are that good!! 

ps - if you are shooting micro 4/3s just stick your 28mm  on a Metabones speedbooster that gives you x0.7 on the back of the lens - saves adding a front wide adaptor which are optically inferior

also consider the killer SIGMA 30MM F1.4 - its APSC only so wont work on a FF camera but is stellar on APSC and Micro 4/3 I use it on a Metabones XL alot

I had the Nikkor 28mm f2 and it was a beautiful lens. I only sold it because I have two Minolta 28mm f2 lenses... One MC version (which I am currently selling if anyone is interested) and also the MD version. I decided to go with the Minolta MD version because it is smaller, lighter and has a shorter focus throw... Which I like better since I use focus levers instead of follow focus units.

2 hours ago, andy lee said:

the Nikon AIS 28MM f2.8 is one of the best 28mms ever made optically no distortion edge to edge - it is Nikons finest hour! not much comes even close to it - plus long throw for follow focus ,these Nikon AIS lenses (the glass out of them )were used as the base spherical elements in Panavision E series Anamorphics - they are that good!! 

ps - if you are shooting micro 4/3s just stick your 28mm  on a Metabones speedbooster that gives you x0.7 on the back of the lens - saves adding a front wide adaptor which are optically inferior

also consider the killer SIGMA 30MM F1.4 - its APSC only so wont work on a FF camera but is stellar on APSC and Micro 4/3 I use it on a Metabones XL alot

Hey Andy, have you ever used the Sigma 28mm f/1.8? I have seen a couple videos online, it looks decent, but they can be a little hard to judge from Vimeo. They also made a 20mm and 24mm in the 1.8, which may make more sense for me since I am only shooting with the BMMCC now. 

On 24.6.2016 at 1:21 AM, andy lee said:

Hallo Andy,

Thank you for your answer. I´m enjoying my FD lenses on a Chinabooster and just bought a Tokina 28-85 F4, one of your many great recommendations!

About the wide angle adapter from century optics, Fritz Pierre posted an awesome DIY, how to adapt the Century Optics to our lenses. Do you know if there are any

century optics apdapters outthere with a screwmount rather than with a mount for the SonyFX1?

On June 26, 2016 at 9:07 AM, andy lee said:

not tied any of them - but I should do as the sigma 30mm f1.4 is very good - I do use it alot of night time exteriors shoots -  alot of the night stuff on Pandora Movie was the Sigma - its is very very good on a Metabones XL speedbooster in EF mount - micro 4/3

I almost bought the Sigma 28mm f1.8 the other day for a steal, but since I started shooting with the BMMCC, I have really found an appreciation for S16 c mounts and micro 4/3 lenses... Mostly the Sigma 2.8 line, and possibly a Rokinon 12mm. Instead of going the speedbooster route, I like the idea of using lenses intended for that format to take advantage of the quirks and flaws of lenses designed for a sensor/camera of that size. I am curious what your thoughts are involving only using lenses made for full frame with these huge crop sensors... Do you feel by only using the center most portion of the lens, that we are losing some of the characteristics those lenses were designed for?