Can I do slow Motion with ablackmagic pocket camera

muhammadahmad

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is a cool test with the bmcc with Davinci's twixtor-like tool. Probably only works this well because there's so little movement. And there's twixtor.

Or you could do choppy slowmo which is good enough for Tarantino and others. Depends on the situation. If it's in a good story, I might not even notice it

Oh yeah! Many filmmakers like to mimic optically printed slow-mo which is essentially doubling frames to slow things down to half speed. For many, many decades this was the only available method for post slow motion. And I actually prefer its analog feel to most optical flow post slow motion, especially when it's digital artifacts are obvious.

I shoot some music videos at 30p, with the synch music sped up to match, and edit at 24p. It gives everything a little more "weighty" feel. Moving hair gets a little more float to it. I also tend to do steadicam shots at 30p if there's no dialogue - not every single one but if the feel of the edit calls for it, it makes things feel a little more "floaty" or adds some gravitas or emotion. Subtle but there. You can always speed it up since you're throwing frames away vs. creating from scratch.

Timewarp and Twixtor - when they work they work, and when they can't do it, it hurts. Great slowmo and suddenly someone's hand or hair turns to a deformed alien morph-thing. If you shoot specifically for those plugins, you need fallback just-in-case takes as well. 

I've gotten better results with Timewarp (I don't own twixtor) with 4K footage - more pixels for the software to chew on I suppose - it's all about detail with those. Motion blurs can be a huge problem, too. So figure on more light for those shots and up your shutter speed.

The micro cinema cam does 60p which slows down nicely, you might look into that, especially if you already own a pocket-specific speedbooster.

Twixtor / Post solutions can work to get beyond that 30p --> 24p range sometimes, but as others have said, it's very hit or miss. Seems to depend alot on the speed of the subject's body parts and what's going on in the background. Movement against a messy background usually trips it up. Fast shutter speeds definitely help.

Premiere's new optical flow slow motion can produce acceptable results sometimes, and it renders MUCH faster than twixtor. 

Surprised no one has mentioned that you need to shoot with a really high shutter speed for twixtor to work well. The first ten seconds of this is all twixtor. A lot of of it was handheld, so it helped smooth out the movements. Like everyone has said, it all depends on how slow everything is. I consider twixtor to be an editors trick... It's not really something you can rely on all the time.