5D mk4 Spec

Rinad Amir

2 hours ago, Phil A said:

But aren't the "main people" from Magic Lantern involved in the Apertus Axiom project now? Wonder how much time to spare they have for a 5D IV hack.

Exactly Phil.

My guess is very very little, especially considering one is a paid project whilst the other (ML) is basically for free...
How much time do you have for serious work you're not paid for whilst you have a stack of work to do you are being paid for??? Common sense tells me ML for 5D4 will be a long way away (if ever).

p.s. (7Dmk2 still doesn't have ML).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The fact that you guys are using terms like "aren't the main people..." and "my guess is".... shows that you, like us... know very little about who is doing what, or even the hierarchy of ML.

Alex is certainly still very active on the ML forum.... So maybe it is just better to wait it out, rather than both sides using guesswork.

23 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

The fact that you guys are using terms like "aren't the main people..." and "my guess is".... shows that you, like us... know very little about who is doing what, or even the hierarchy of ML.

Alex is certainly still very active on the ML forum.... So maybe it is just better to wait it out, rather than both sides using guesswork.

Imagine a 5dmkiv with ML and CFast :)

It's the dream.... New sensor with 13-14stops.... good ISO.... raw

I'm hoping the huge demand might bring the ML team back... but like I said, no point guessing or getting excited. For now, let's quietly dream.

Would be surprising to see 4k60 on the 5Dmk4 when the recent 1Dxmk2 can only does that at the expense of massive file size due to processing and heat issue.

Canon will most likely release a crippled 4K just to be able to put the "4k ready" sticker on the brochure. I would expect:

- 4K at 30p max

- Massive crop in 4k mode

- No peaking, no zebra, nothing to help

- No log or any video profile (Cinelike, etc.)

- 8 bits of course

- Then I'm curious about the dual pixel and touch screen. Are they going to be implemented ?

We are talking about Canon, should be a boring "major release" that is going to look outdated with the GH5 and new Sony Camera.

51 minutes ago, OliKMIA said:

We are talking about Canon, should be a boring "major release" that is going to look outdated with the GH5 and new Sony Camera.

I don't know... Am not really sure why people expect so much from Canon? How many times do you have to get rained on before you bring an umbrella? I mean... They have outright said they are delineating their camera lines. They have outright said their issue with 4K was solving the overheating issues. But one thing is for sure, when they do have all the bells and whistles that Sony cameras have... They will work. 

Actually I don't expect anything from Canon anymore since I already took massive rain showers of disappointment from their lastest camera releases. I just wish to have the bare minimum in 2016 which is decent 4k. For the rest I'm aware of the Canon policy with the C serie camera, I'm sure it works great for them because I bought a GH4 and I might even buy an A7S/R3 next instead of a 5Dmk4.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 6:12 AM, Rinad Amir said:

How is it a lies? Canon confirmed 

4k and 120fps 1080

U got other prove? Ya fool

Confirmed by Canon? Where? Last time I took note of these things, Cameraegg was not the spokesperson for Canon.

23 hours ago, Django said:

these specs have been rumoured for months and come to no surprise. actually as soon as the 1DX II specs were confirmed we had a pretty good idea what the mk4 would be like. i'm sure it'll have DPAF, Canon don't renew often and the 5D is in dire need of a refresh, besides even the amateur 70/80D got it. C-log not a chance, C line only. ML raw, even more unlikely, Canon killed the hack install on latest 5d3 batches. I'd be happy if they at least put in peaking or zebras but i highly doubt that (even if Nikon added it to latest DSLRS) Canon seem less interested in competing with others then they are at not competing against themselves (and the pricey C line) almost the opposite strategy of Sony (which consumer A7 line sometimes trump FS series)

Presumably the 1DXII hit the hardware limits as far as 4K is concerned, so the 5D4 will be less than that, especially if it has a single processor.

13 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I'm not 100% giving up on ML getting their hands on this.

People point to a lack of activity, but the 5D4 will be the first massive launch that could see them interested again.

Unfortunately that is what people thought about the 7D2, and look what happened there. So don't hold your breath. In the end Canon are going to be limited by what their hardware can do, and barring any new surprising development, we already have a good idea of what that is going to be. I think the 5D4 will be a very good stills camera, but realistically chances are we will be disappointed with video relative to what else is there.

5 hours ago, tweak said:

Exactly Phil.

My guess is very very little, especially considering one is a paid project whilst the other (ML) is basically for free...
How much time do you have for serious work you're not paid for whilst you have a stack of work to do you are being paid for??? Common sense tells me ML for 5D4 will be a long way away (if ever).

p.s. (7Dmk2 still doesn't have ML).

Canon will likely make more modern cameras less hack-friendly, since it is not in their interests from a service point of view for people to be fiddling with the firmware.

Not sure the 7d ii was a huge video success that got everyone salivating and hoping for ML?... 

Nothing since 5diii caught the imagination...

4k, new sensor and DP-AF might just bring the ML boys back.

don't forget sony is planning to buzzkill 5D4/GH5 at launch with their new professional A9 series which will sport DSLR form factor:

http://petapixel.com/2016/04/07/sony-a9-dslr-like-camera-unlimited-raw-burst-report/

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-bomb-rumor-first-a9-specs-dual-xqd-card-slot-unlimited-raw-burst/

on the stills side latest rumours say 72MP, unlimited raw burst, dual XQDs..

now if on the video side they manage 10-bit 422, strong codec, raw output

that would be a killer cam!

13 hours ago, tugela said:

Confirmed by Canon? Where? Last time I took note of these things, Cameraegg was not the spokesperson for Canon.

Presumably the 1DXII hit the hardware limits as far as 4K is concerned, so the 5D4 will be less than that, especially if it has a single processor.

Unfortunately that is what people thought about the 7D2, and look what happened there. So don't hold your breath. In the end Canon are going to be limited by what their hardware can do, and barring any new surprising development, we already have a good idea of what that is going to be. I think the 5D4 will be a very good stills camera, but realistically chances are we will be disappointed with video relative to what else is there.

Canon will likely make more modern cameras less hack-friendly, since it is not in their interests from a service point of view for people to be fiddling with the firmware.

I dint say cameraegg is canons spokes person it simply has spec sheet from reliable source CR

On 24 May 2016 at 5:31 PM, Jimmy said:

Cheers for that piece of guesswork, guess we should all just wait it out then... :glasses:.

If we look at what's been happening lately with ML (no new ports, no devs wishing to take on more work, 7DmkII needing new code, etc.), I'd say my comments are pretty reasonable conclusions to draw. Also add to this the fact that the main Devs are now working on their own camera project (which I'm assuming they actually want people to buy), so why would they spend their time making the competition a better product??? I'd like a new ML as much as the next guy in this thread, but it's pretty reasonable to conclude that the odds are stacked against that happening.

40 minutes ago, tweak said:

If we look at what's been happening lately with ML (no new ports, no devs wishing to take on more work, 7DmkII needing new code, etc.), I'd say my comments are pretty reasonable conclusions to draw.

There was a new nightly build for 5D3 on 16th May 2016... Is that not recent enough?

Your guesswork is fine, an educated guess, much like my educated guess that they have limited interest, currently, because they have hit a limit with the current Canon offerings and the demand is pretty low for the likes of the 7DII. The 5D4 will see massive demand and new challenges. Hackers like a challenge. 

As for the Axiom stuff... none of us know what is going on, if they are paid staff, own a %, ... if it is the "main devs" or just a couple..... or even if, like so many kickstarter projects, the shit has hit the fan and it will never see the light of day.

7 hours ago, Rinad Amir said:

I dint say cameraegg is canons spokes person it simply has spec sheet from reliable source CR

Well, CR "reliable sources" have claimed all sorts of things in the past that have not turned out to be entirely true or just flat out false.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

There was a new nightly build for 5D3 on 16th May 2016... Is that not recent enough?

Your guesswork is fine, an educated guess, much like my educated guess that they have limited interest, currently, because they have hit a limit with the current Canon offerings and the demand is pretty low for the likes of the 7DII. The 5D4 will see massive demand and new challenges. Hackers like a challenge. 

As for the Axiom stuff... none of us know what is going on, if they are paid staff, own a %, ... if it is the "main devs" or just a couple..... or even if, like so many kickstarter projects, the shit has hit the fan and it will never see the light of day.

The only reason ML were able to hack the earlier Canons was because they used a fairly basic method to acquire video. Going forward there is no guarantee that they will do things that way. If they handle it more in hardware then hacking will be that much more difficult. And no doubt their firmware writers will not be making things easy either.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

That's a build, not a port. Updating an existing build is far simpler and takes way less time and knowledge than porting to a whole new device (hence the reason there's no eosmk2 or 7Dmk2 ports).  

7D was a notoriously difficult port, and the 7DII likely the same... Couple that with low 7DII interest and the dots begin to connect.

Now @tugela may well be right that Canon make the port very hard for the 5DIV... that is beyond any educated guess.

Anyway... boring as fuck discussion.... If ML happens, i'll be buying one... If it doesn't and there is no c-log... Canon lose out my money.

Yes they were difficult to port and so will be the 5Dmk4. There was a fair bit of interest in ML for both those cameras I mentioned but no Devs were available/ willing to take up the work, they are both feasible ports (eosmk2 being a fairly straight forward one with proof that it could be done).
I don't see why ML would now magically get Devs willing to work on a 5Dmk4 port just because it's a 5Dmk4... 

If 1DXmk2 doesn't get C-Log then I think it's safe to say 5Dmk4 wont either.