1.33x Shootout - INTRUDER

Tito Ferradans

I shot a small narrative (I won't call it a "short") mixing all 1.33x anamorphic adapters with various taking lenses. The goal was to test out if all that talk of "this adapter is good, this one is bad", to see if we can actually notice the difference between lenses when there's a story being told. I included both well lit and low light shots to evaluate performance with different apertures. The camera used was Kinefinity's Kinemini 4k, and I shot it all raw for more flexibility in post. Taking lenses were all Russian, from 28 up to 135mm. The blog post has a cheat chart with all the data for each shot.

Can you tell when this or that lens is being used? Is there anything in particular that bugs you? Do you think this test makes the difference between 1.33x adapters easier to notice?

Lenses used were Century Optics WS-13, Panasonic LA7200, Isco 16:9 Video Attachment I, SLR Magic Anamorphot 1.33x-50, Century Optics 16:9 (the small one).

http://www.tferradans.com/blog/?p=8333

There's more info on the blog post above, but if you're feeling lazy, here's the video.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nice one Tito!

Overall I'd say I agree that story is far more important than lenses/ gear. If it's captivating you're not focusing on the quality too much. I think that the night shots also helped hide some of the lenses imperfections better than broad daylight would have. There were a few shots in there that I thought "well that looks really soft", but as I said it didn't stop me from watching it. At a guess I would say it was the small Century, but I couldn't be sure on that (I don't own any of them).

17 hours ago, tweak said:

Nice one Tito!

There were a few shots in there that I thought "well that looks really soft", but as I said it didn't stop me from watching it. At a guess I would say it was the small Century, but I couldn't be sure on that (I don't own any of them).

Thanks! :D

Well, you can check your guesses at the blog, every shot is labeled there!

14 hours ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

Yes, there is too much tension to focus on the anamorphics! ;-)

Goal achieved then! Thanks!