Vimeo Plus Or Youtube Or What?

User

I've always made due with a Vimeo basic (free) account. 500mb in one upload is all I normally have needed.

Now, I have a 1.2gb file that I would like to upload asap (and password protect) just this one time but this is not possible with this free account.

A 'Plus' account will cost $60. I don't really want to pay this for one upload.

I recently saw some posts on this site indicating the Vimeo is becoming shite.

Are there decent 'free' options? Anything worth recommending?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, OliKMIA said:

Vimeo is not bad and $60 a year is an ok price for me. I use youtube and vimeo and the quality is similar.

In your case I would take a look on dailymotion, the french youtube. http://www.dailymotion.com/us

There is a password protected option https://faq.dailymotion.com/hc/en-us/articles/203790756-Privacy-visibility-and-comment-moderation

Thank you Olikmia.

Have you used the Dailymotion yourself? Quality? Is there a catch?

Only the French would miss the irony in a name like this ;)

Yes I use it sometime. Similar to youtube in terms of features and advertisement. The quality is ok and as youtube most video are junks, you know: teenage girls doing make up Vlog, crappy 10 sec cell phone cat video with 8 millions views and so on. Just youtube in french.

It's free so give it a try. Cheers

I guess there is a certain level of 'perceived' professionalism that comes in skirting the cat video banner clips so me thinks it's over to Vimeo Plus.
Anyone know where or if there is an accessible promo code to be taken advantage of?

11 hours ago, User said:

I've always made due with a Vimeo basic (free) account. 500mb in one upload is all I normally have needed.

Now, I have a 1.2gb file that I would like to upload asap (and password protect) just this one time but this is not possible with this free account.

A 'Plus' account will cost $60. I don't really want to pay this for one upload.

I recently saw some posts on this site indicating the Vimeo is becoming shite.

You can pay for upgrade to Vimeo Plus on a month to month basis, 9,95$ per month.

http://vimeo.com/store/plus_monthly

18 hours ago, User said:

If it's for a private client review - which they can also download, I'd strongly recommend https://frame.io 

The free account comes with 2gb capacity I believe...much more professional platform for video sharing than YT or Vimeo private link IMO.

4 hours ago, Hans Punk said:

If it's for a private client review - which they can also download, I'd strongly recommend https://frame.io 

The free account comes with 2gb capacity I believe...much more professional platform for video sharing than YT or Vimeo private link IMO.

I'll take a look. Thanks Hans.

On 5/21/2016 at 0:04 AM, Hans Punk said:

Hi Hans, Frame I/O looks interesting. Is it possible to embed the player into my website? I can't seem to find a way.

Also, it's twice now that I tried to upload a 1.3GB ProRes file to the site and had an error and failed to finish the upload both times.

Any thoughts?

Hmm, never needed or tried to embed from frame.io so am unsure if that is an option. Prores is supported, not sure why it's failing on upload. Perhaps biting the bullet with Vimeo may be better if you need embedding options. Frame.io is a superb way of distributing video to clients when you share the project workspace for feedback, as for a presentation platform in itself that can be embedded, it may not be what you are after.

vimeo pro for me is the best choice, also somehow my videos stopped getting cut for using commercial music tracks. I dont know if its because im Pro. I can upload whatever i like.

youtube is a pain for any commercial work. But its a huge marketing tool if you want to reach to the masses.

so for specific clients i would use a sleek account on Vimeo

but for tutorials, videocasts or personal work that i would want to get a mass audience i would use youtube

xxx chris

Would really like to use Frame I/O now and for future work as it seems a step in a decent direction, but 3 different uploads have all failed (I'm on a decent connection) so with a deadline approaching I think I'll have to bite the bullet and move towards Vimeo.

7 hours ago, Christina Ava said:

vimeo pro for me is the best choice, also somehow my videos stopped getting cut for using commercial music tracks. I dont know if its because im Pro. I can upload whatever i like.

youtube is a pain for any commercial work. But its a huge marketing tool if you want to reach to the masses.

so for specific clients i would use a sleek account on Vimeo

but for tutorials, videocasts or personal work that i would want to get a mass audience i would use youtube

xxx chris

I've actually never had any issues with vimeo taking down any of my videos with copyrighted tracks at all, very much unlike youtube. I'm only on the the plus version of vimeo, but that's why I prefer it over youtube, which always flags anything like that, or slaps some ugly ad banner over top.

1 minute ago, Parker said:

I've actually never had any issues with vimeo taking down any of my videos with copyrighted tracks at all, very much unlike youtube. I'm only on the the plus version of vimeo, but that's why I prefer it over youtube, which always flags anything like that, or slaps some ugly ad banner over top.

As a Basic Vimeo user, I've never had any music copyright issues. Let's see if that changes now that I'm over to the 'Plus' side of things.