Why does RAW DNG change depending on what software you use?

Turboguard

So again, I'm coloring some stuff at the moment, and during my initial rough cut edit in Premiere all footage looks good, except for an interior scene. In premiere, it looks totally useable, but when I open it up in DaVinci, it's completely f***ed, BOTH BMD color space and REC.709 shows the same kind of underexposed, crushed black phenomenon. I understand that REC.709 handles the contrast, but again, it's in BOTH. Why is this happening? 

DNG RAW in Premiere untouched.

Rough.00_12_40_16.Still002.png

RAW set to REC.709 in DaVinci

Untitled_3.1.2.png

Here's another example;

BMD in DaVinci

BMD_1.77.2.png

DNG in Premiere

Premiere.png

REC.709 in DaVinci

Rec709_1.77.1.png

I feel like, when I push exposure in DaVinci to achieve same exposure as in Premiere, I just introduce extreme grain. Ugh, I'm so confused.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Doesn't Davinci have a noise reduction control for raw files though? 

Raw is literally raw data. It's really up to each individual program to determine how it should look. Like when I open my Panasonic stills in DXO Optics or Phase One Capture One, they look far better than they do in Lightroom. 

1 minute ago, Inazuma said:

Doesn't Davinci have a noise reduction control for raw files though? 

I only have resolve, not Studio...

What's confusing is how I can get a better picture with PP than DaVinci for the extreme low light scenes.

Premiere defaults to sRGB which is brighter than BT.709. Adobe also has a default curve it uses before conversion to sRGB if I remember correctly.

BMD Film also has a relatively low middle gray point and black point at 392 and 36 respectively on a 10b scale. So BMD Film's middle gray is actually lower than sRGB and BT.709.

Also, because each program uses different methods to do color conversions, you'll find that each program can produce a different results. Adobe uses the DNG SDK while Resolve uses libraw which is based on dcraw.

DNGs are not like ARRIRAW, Sony RAW, or REDCODE. All of those have specific SDKs and using those are the only way you can process those raw files. In order to use a different method, you'd have to reverse engineer the formats. But since the DNG/TIFF is an open standard it's not hard for programmers to put together their own processing pipeline.

It just comes down to programmers using different methods to process the same data.

6 minutes ago, iaremrsir said:

Premiere defaults to sRGB which is brighter than BT.709. Adobe also has a default curve it uses before conversion to sRGB if I remember correctly.

BMD Film also has a relatively low middle gray point and black point at 392 and 36 respectively on a 10b scale. So BMD Film's middle gray is actually lower than sRGB and BT.709.

Also, because each program uses different methods to do color conversions, you'll find that each program can produce a different results. Adobe uses the DNG SDK while Resolve uses libraw which is based on dcraw.

DNGs are not like ARRIRAW, Sony RAW, or REDCODE. All of those have specific SDKs and using those are the only way you can process those raw files. In order to use a different method, you'd have to reverse engineer the formats. But since the DNG/TIFF is an open standard it's not hard for programmers to put together their own processing pipeline.

It just comes down to programmers using different methods to process the same data.

Got it. I could find a pretty similar range with Rec.709 and Gamma 2.4. BUT so much noise now :(

36 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Just curious, but aside from what can or cannot be accomplished with RAW, why weren't the scenes lit and exposed properly to begin with?

I ended up using the gamma 2.6 range and now it looks exactly like I had and wanted the exposure like. This was a short I shot 2.5years ago and spent 0 dollars and only used the bmpcc with the 18-35mm Sigma. Not only wanted I to push and see what the result would be with a improv script, 3 friends on a weekend trip with nothing but a camera, but also learn from the experience.