The Digital Bolex just got False Color

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I see the display as awesome. It actually shows a poor image, but still, an image. In an emergency its usable. The Red camera have no display. Not even a bad one.

S16 film cameras, which its supposed to replace don't have displays either.

Think of it as an onboard mic. Not ment for everything, but most would go apeshit if the gh5 came without a built in mic.

I had the Alphatron evf for the d16 but still used the on board display lots of times.

You can buy a cheaper evf. The D16 supports older evfs that doesn't work on Blackmagic.

Most 16mm and film Bolexes had built-in viewfinders.. i think it would have been cool and coherent to have a built-in EVF instead of the poor display but hey it is what it is (and better then nothing indeed!).. maybe on their next camera (hopefully S35). FWIW i think they're a great company with a think different approach. I really miss high-end CCD, triple sensors etc.. although I know why the market ran with CMOS. Sadly i think DB are the only ones looking back (towards golden age) when everyone else is trying to leapfrog each other and often failing at the most basic of requirements..

ugh the image out of this camera is GORGEOUS. the clip in the op is SO BEAUTIFUL

i remember when i first saw this i thought the motion was really something... and it is. she has so much physical presence 

whats the story with this camera as far as people actually shooting with it? anyone here have any personal experience? whats it like to use? would you use it on an indie film?

• Super Members
1 minute ago, kaylee said:

ugh the image out of this camera is GORGEOUS. the clip in the op is SO BEAUTIFUL

i remember when i first saw this i thought the motion was really something... and it is. she has so much physical presence 

whats the story with this camera as far as people actually shooting with it? anyone here have any personal experience? whats it like to use? would you use it on an indie film?

Its like using the bmpcc when using a tripod. But with great audio, lots of media space and 5h battery.

Paired with an EVF its very nice to use handheld.

It takes a while to boot and is loud between takes. Other than that its joyful.

18 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Now that's what the Magic Lantern team should do. Hack the APS-H M8 or the FF M9 CCD cameras and give them video with Leica/Kodak/DB Mojo I would pay anything :)

I'm very pleased with the colors straight from my M8s sensor.

27002295691_50e44edf38_h.jpg

I know it won't happen and is probably impossible, but still....

Jeez, for an image like that, just shoot all your films on it at 2 frames per second. I'd forgive you :)

22 hours ago, tomastancredi said:

Anyone know if it is possible to use external recorder on it? 

It says on the firmware update news link : "This version may be compatible with HDMI recorders, however further testing is necessary." 

Can't find info to know whether it was already possible to proper record it externally, or if maybe now it could be. I would buy it if I could sometimes shoot on proress externally.

The Blackmagic Video Assist as well as the newer Atomos Flame and Inferno series. We're working on making the HDMI recording functionality more compatible with recorders.

8 hours ago, cpc said:

False color probably targets the built-in display, but the new gammas should be handy for monitors and EVFs. The Bolex Log in particular should play well with monitors with LUT support. I don't know if it is possible with this camera but simultaneously having false color on the built-in and one of the gammas on the hdmi out sounds cool.

False color works on the raw data to let you know when your first channel clips. Because the D16 doesn't do any internal highlight recovery or noise reduction, we thought it'd be good to know this. This means that you have anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3 of a stop more highlight range in the raw file than you'd get over HDMI. So In raw at 800 ISO you're gonna see close to six stops of overexposure range, but in the HDMI you're gonna see around 5 1/3.

I will ask about being able to separate the LCD from HDMI.

8 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

I think it's pretty cool that they still promote/update ONE camera. Instead of new models every year. At first it seems like a terrible idea, but now it almost makes the camera more appealing.

Our goal is to make the current camera as best as it can be before we start trying to sell people a new one.

11 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

S16 film cameras, which its supposed to replace don't have displays either.

S16 cameras have viewfinders which allow you to look straight through the lens. I'd love to have a digital camera with an optical viewfinder, however I find it much more pertinent to monitor what you're actually getting on a digital camera.

Also, not sure this was meant to replace S16, just an idea of a digital version of S16. Bolex's were standard 16mm anyway.

32 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

the ikonoskop is ccd, isn´t it. beautiful footage from it anyway. anybody had the chance to work with it? it´s a rare beast and not in production anymore, afaik.

Yeah, it is. The sensor is from the same family as the D16's. Never had the pleasure of shooting with one, but it makes some very nice images.

This music video by one of the artists I follow was shot on the ikonoskop as well.

• Super Members
6 hours ago, jax_rox said:

S16 cameras have viewfinders which allow you to look straight through the lens. I'd love to have a digital camera with an optical viewfinder, however I find it much more pertinent to monitor what you're actually getting on a digital camera.

Also, not sure this was meant to replace S16, just an idea of a digital version of S16. Bolex's were standard 16mm anyway.

Like I said earlier, the viewfinder in my s16mm film cameras are less usable than the d16 screen.

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Like I said earlier, the viewfinder in my s16mm film cameras are less usable than the d16 screen.

I actually think it would've been pretty damn great to have an OVF on the D16. Probably not doable at the price range, though.

• 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Have only had my new D16 for a few hours and shot just to make sure it works.

But damn.. The iso 800 looks pretty darn OK to my eye... Need more testing though.

Feels nice to have CCD on both stills and video.

IMG_20160610_195713.md.jpg

Excited to hear you went back to the D16. After using the BMMCC for the past couple weeks, I have a new appreciation for cameras that shoot Raw, and ProRes, and I'm unsure if I can ever go back to an 8 bit camera again. But then again I am probably over stating because I love my new toy/tool. Anyway, I look forward to some D16 footage. 

• Super Members

Quickly tested the ISO800 and Im very happy.

I was very satisfied shooting ISO 200 and 400. 
One gets used to it. I shoot a lot of film and my leica M8 likes ISO160 but its not a problem. After a while you learn to live with in, both in daylight and nighttime. I get why people want A7s ISO capability, but if they just took the time to learn it wouldn't be such an issue like some make it out to be.
Even the BMPC4K was usable in very low light at ISO400. One just had to watch out for the FPN.

I underexposed the Digital Bolex at ISO800 and pushed the footage in post. Of course I got a lot of noise, but pretty close to the amount from the BMPCC.
And unlike the BMPC and, from what Ive heard, the Micro, NO FPN.
Plus, this is with zero NR and Im trying to see the noise. With a simple curve adjustment I could get usable footage without Neat Video.

A bonus is the new Color Matrix, its awesome. This is 100% not graded, straight from the camera. Looks very accurate to my eye. No magenta bias like before so no need to switch to BMDFilm Gamma. 

Will shoot something more interesting soon.

And again, please note, the test was to see noise, so expect noise.