An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

16 hours ago, Thpriest said:

Another example with the GX85. The shoot was a bit of a disaster! Record company said they needed the video for the next week. We had a Sunday to shoot. Only one venue available. Picked up lights on Saturday. Group arrived late on Sunday. Get to the location and plug in the lights...fuse switches off! We could only use overhead fluorescent lights! Arrrrgh! Anyway, the GX85 held up quite well all things considered.

Lenses: SLR Magic 12mm T1.6 and Voigtlander 25mm F0.95. A mixture of 4K and 1080 50p

Gran trabajo.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, jase said:

Although nowadays GH5 and 5d 4k raw (:grimace:) are getting most of our attention, my partner GX80 doesnt let me down. Nothing special, yet another festival recap. This time however, I started getting used to color masks to remove the orange/green tint. Not perfect yet, plenty of room for improvement. Tell me what you think:

Honestly Jase, once again great job. I think you are the Panasonic master... continuously great colors... they should make you one of their ambassadors... I wonder what you could do with the GH5... and so far... I think it needs your help. 

On 4/1/2017 at 11:11 PM, jase said:

Although nowadays GH5 and 5d 4k raw (:grimace:) are getting most of our attention, my partner GX80 doesnt let me down. Nothing special, yet another festival recap. This time however, I started getting used to color masks to remove the orange/green tint. Not perfect yet, plenty of room for improvement. Tell me what you think:

If there's plenty of room for improvement, I'm not seeing it. Really excellent work, Jase!

27 minutes ago, jase said:

Mh, as in you think it looks too digital, too clean?

As in your own words 'really shines', I bet. Convincing enough to make him consider going quality MFT lenses. Recent Panaleica/OlyPRO primes are definitely sick! As in cool, not as in 'needing bed rest'. :grin: Atleast the Leica 15mm is affordable... that 12, 25 & 42.5mm... different story. They're baiting you with a tasty little worm and you end up getting reeled in being the one on the menu!

9 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

As in your own words 'really shines', I bet. Convincing enough to make him consider going quality MFT lenses. Recent Panaleica/OlyPRO primes are definitely sick! As in cool, not as in 'needing bed rest'. :grin: Atleast the Leica 15mm is affordable... that 12, 25 & 42.5mm... different story. They're baiting you with a tasty little worm and you end up getting reeled in being the one on the menu!

Interesting, I understood it exactly the other way round: As in that it looks way too polished - being a reason to NOT to invest into native glass. sender - receiver issue.

2 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

I just saw this AF review on the new GH5. I'm rather happy to report that I think the GX80 (in terms of AF performance in video) is doing about as well as or even better than the GH5 that costs about 4 times the price. ...not that I use it much. 

I've got the G85, don't use AF-C at all. But being happy that our cameras perform just as well as the GH5 in AF-C is small consolation.

3 hours ago, jase said:

Thanks! Got myself a Smallrig cage as well as a top handle, improved the smoothness a lot.

58e916c78564a_gx80cage.thumb.jpg.f2233d90489fee6a50075269a36350ff.jpg

Aaah, Jase! Beautiful setup! One of the prettiest, that camera, that cage, that lens! Oh, almost forgot the handle:)

Did you buy cage and handle in a set? Ebay or where from? I got myself a beautiful Tokina 24 40 2.8. It is

like a rig for my GX85, awesome to hold on to.

I have a question regarding stabilization. What is the best firmware version for IBIS? Does that version

make a difference?

Just now, PannySVHS said:

Did you buy cage and handle in a set? Ebay or where from? I got myself a beautiful Tokina 24 40 2.8. It is like a rig for my GX85, awesome to hold no to.

I bought it from smallrig.com right away - shipping was pretty fast and I did not had to pay any taxes which puzzled me, but I wont complain :)