An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Awesome Andrew ! looking forward to footage. looks promising. I need to try out the new m43 cameras to see for myself.

however there still one thing I remember from using the old Olympus E 420 (4/3 DSLR, smallest DSLR at that time) and that was over blown highlights when strong light source was pointed into the camera over when exposed on something in the shadow the highlights would blown out bigger portion of the pic. see the picture for reference and don't get me wrong pls I understand exposing etc. :blush:

m43.jpg

As written in the article "You can touch the screen whilst recording to rack focus. It works well but not quite as well as Dual Pixel AF on the 1D X Mark II since there’s a millisecond of a shimmer at the end of the rack. Contrast detect AF doesn’t yet eliminate hunting." Actually this my major problem with Panasonic/Olympus cameras. I have the Sony A5100, the only touch-operable Sony Alpha camera, and because of its phase detect autofocus points, it performs brilliantly smooth, shimmer-less focus pull for $500. This inherent shimmer in MFT cameras practically negates an important benefit of their anyway brilliant touch screens. Canon 70D, 80D and Sony A5100 are the only reasonably priced cameras (all HD-only, unfortunately) that can perform shimmer-free touch-to-pull-focus operation. Sony is repeating its silly mistakes again and again not to add touch-operability to its excellent 4K PDAF cameras: A7Rii, A6300.

Thank you Andrew! I was hoping we would get a post on the GX85 from you soon and am glad that this isn't the last we'll see of it from you. I'm most likely going to order one in the next few days with your link, makes me wish I had a Canon Mount Sigma 18-35 (use Nikon) so I could easily take advantage of IBIS with it... will have to do something about that soon. What interests me most about this camera is of course the IBIS, but I'd like to see the benefits of it when paired with a gimbal like a Ronin M as the Ronin M doesn't correct for up and down bobbing motion while walking. Do you plan on looking into this? I don't see anyone else testing this. I understand you can turn off the correction for the pan axis too which would be useful for pairing with a gimbal. Also, the XL .64 works fine (mainly in terms of attachment) besides the usual soft edges w 18-35 and other aps-c lenses while in the 1080 mode? I still have my Nikon to BMCC adapter lying around which might find it's place on the gx85 until I decide it's worth it to buy another EF speedbooster as I'd like to use this alongside my GH4. 

• Administrators

I think the Y axis (and X) is useful for reducing handheld jitter and locking down a shot from the hand more than can be done with an OIS lens, but I don't think it can do much for the bounce of a walk with a gimbal, simply because the sensor would have to move a rather large distance to compensate for it! Interested to see some tests from others.

I sold my 18-35mm Nikon mount for the Canon version, but Sigma also offer a mount-swap service. It's paid though!

1 hour ago, Miklos Nemeth said:

As written in the article "You can touch the screen whilst recording to rack focus. It works well but not quite as well as Dual Pixel AF on the 1D X Mark II since there’s a millisecond of a shimmer at the end of the rack. Contrast detect AF doesn’t yet eliminate hunting." Actually this my major problem with Panasonic/Olympus cameras. I have the Sony A5100, the only touch-operable Sony Alpha camera, and because of its phase detect autofocus points, it performs brilliantly smooth, shimmer-less focus pull for $500. This inherent shimmer in MFT cameras practically negates an important benefit of their anyway brilliant touch screens. Canon 70D, 80D and Sony A5100 are the only reasonably priced cameras (all HD-only, unfortunately) that can perform shimmer-free touch-to-pull-focus operation. Sony is repeating its silly mistakes again and again not to add touch-operability to its excellent 4K PDAF cameras: A7Rii, A6300.

Interesting about the A5100, never realised it could do a phase-detect AF focus pull off the touch screen. I thought the A6000 was the first Sony sensor to get onboard phase-detect AF, and even then it didn't work very well in video mode.

Thanks for the article Andrew. :)

Can i ask..

On a list, from "No stabilisation" to a "omg i don't need a tripod (for real).. where would you put the A7SII? (you can use 1-10 if it makes it any easier ;)). It sounds like you would put the GX80/85 at "omg I don't need a tripod (for real) (10).. But is this true?.. i mean. When i first heard of the IBIS on the Alpha7mk2 series i was blown away. But then i got hold of a a7Sii myself, and i was first pleased.. but the more I shot the worse it got in my mind. I've heard the phrase "end of tripod use" with the a7Sii IBIS.. But I, to this day, I don't understand the people that say that.. I mean.. yeah, it removes most of the micro jitter (though not all if you look on a 400% crop of the video) and bigger movements are not handled well. Well atleast not as well as my Canon 24-105 F4 IS (which does a much better job). And the pitching and Yawing corrections are so easily seen in the footage - often looking like software stabilisation where it warps the footage.

Soo.. to sum up. How does the two systems compare (Sony a7sii vs Panasonic GX80/85)?

THANKS! :heart::)

• Administrators

You can do bigger, sweeping movements and even walk with the GX85's stabilisation, you can't do this with the Sonys.

If the GX85 is 10/10 as good as it gets in 2016 then the A7R II is a 7... not bad, just more like a Canon IS lens than anything revolutionary.

Thanks for posting this, Andrew. Awesome that Panasonic have got on the IBIS wagon.

As a recent Metabones XL adopter, I'd be interested to know how the ibis works with more EF lenses. Maybe a Metabones firmware update could make this in body stabilisation play ball with more EF lenses?

I'm a little confused about this technologies' application: You mentioned the ibis works well with the sigma 18-35 (which is great news!) - but that said, this lens doesn't have any stabilisation...Does that mean it would work with any non-IS lens? Or is some kind of position data transferred to the body electronically?

Shame the GX80 doesn't have flatter profiles. That said, I use the G7 and usually shoot Cine-D, but I also find Natural to work well.

50 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes the IBIS works with any non-IS lens. It is like the Olympus 5 axis IBIS.

If you have a Panasonic Power OIS lens then it will use that for axis Y and X, with the other 3 axis on the sensor.

Either way it rocks.

According to the manual you only have 5axis if you use the Electronic IS. 5-Axis Hybrid.

It work at least like this one mine. Also this mode crop further the image (did not see sharpness loss)

image.png