Atomos Ninja 2 and GH3

milandirector

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi evarybody,

I have a question regarding Atomos Ninja 2 and GH3. Does one work with the other at all, and if it does, is it recording as 8bit 420 or 10bit 422?

If they are not working together what other DSLR records 10bit 422 with Atomos (C100 perhaps???)?

Thanks gang...

you will be looking at an 8-bit 4:2:0 image in 10-bit 4:2:2, minus GH3 compression.  

• Administrators

I've tried the GH3 with Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle 2.

Unfortunately there's no quality gain from the HDMI 1080i output. Internal codec is very good and the HDMI output is interlaced before it reaches the external recorder. I could successfully deinterlace it with JES but final result was a bit softer than internal recording. It would be interesting to try the 1080p output, but you'd need a recorder that can do 1080/60p.

It doesn't do 24p or 25p native 1080p via HDMI. The 24/25p is PsF (interlaced wrapper).

I've tried the GH3 with Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle 2.

Unfortunately there's no quality gain from the HDMI 1080i output. Internal codec is very good and the HDMI output is interlaced before it reaches the external recorder. I could successfully deinterlace it with JES but final result was a bit softer than internal recording. It would be interesting to try the 1080p output, but you'd need a recorder that can do 1080/60p.

It doesn't do 24p or 25p native 1080p via HDMI. The 24/25p is PsF (interlaced wrapper).

Andrew so it is possible to get a clean 1080 60p image out of the GH3? Any idea reasonable recorders that can capture 1080 60p you can recommend?

Thanks, but sadly I do not understand what you wrote... :)

Well one would doubt that a trendy HQ capture device, today, would provide anything less than 4:2:2. Therefore its not going to make the quality better than 4:2:0 aside from an elite compression. Hence you're capturing an 8bit 4:2:0 in whatever color space you want to capture. In other words "you can't polish a turd."