Canon 1DX-II vs. 1DC - Which one would you buy?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

What's a better buy?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What's a better buy?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

@Andrew Reid just to note the 1DX II has the same incredible 1080p HDMI signal output when set to 4K 1.3x Crop mode. Just like the 1Dc but of course without C-Log. 

I have been testing that signal a lot lately on the 1DC. The image is identical to the one shot in 4K then downsampled to HD using Sony Vegas Pro (Lanczos sophisticated downsample).

So essentially the HDMI is just saving you the trouble of post scaling and doing a high quality 4K to HD downsample intetnally. I'd expect this to be a harder task to perform hardware and software wise than just to spit the 4K out of the HDMI, so I wonder why and how. 

-The image is in Digital Cinema 1:85:1 Aspect ratio (16:10), like the internal 4K aspect ratio (makes sense), so when I record it to ProRes it has tiny letterboxing. I just upscale to 2K DCI or Crop down to 16:9 HD

-Another point, don't underestimate the power of the super35 HD mode. It's really the mode that makes the 1DC suitable for a major number of video genres other than film that can handle the MJPEG 4K To HD workflow.

With little difference to the end product (for TV/nonfilm) the s35 HD mode looks just as good as the 1.3x 4K-to-HD.

So for interviews (s35 HD unlimited-time small files is a killer combo for interviewing), for broadcast, for ENG, for wildlife, for weddings, events, travel, having that S35, high resolution HD (C100 level of detail) with Canon colours and C-Log 12 stops of latitude, at 6th of the file size of shooting in 4K-to-HD, is a really important feature for me.

Just to get a sense of it it's side by side IDENTICAL to the C300 image produces and having that mode is key for me. Perhaps actually the most important feature making me weigh in for buying the 1DC over the 1DXII as my A camera for my company. 

Most if not all of my video business does not require the 4K extra quality boost and having the extra small file mode is something I'd use the hell out of. Maybe more than 4K. Especially when it's my crew that's working not me (whom I'll not trust with MJPEG 500mbps handling after they've been used to 24mbps H.265 HD) 

****With the 1DX II, it's either go 500mbps CFAST 2.0 4K 4:2:2 DCI or horrendous 5DII/III-like binned HD

The only way I can see out of this is using my ninja blade to record that great HD 1.3x HDMI signal to a ProRes 4:2:0 8bit flavour to get similar functionality, but still, the 1DC has this duty internally to the CF cheap cards without needing a separate monitor on top of the camera that has power to take care of and different media type and an HDMI cable to watch out for and a heavy awkward VERY TALL and slim camera (1DC+ninja on hotshoe). 

Canon sure are a master of product segmentation, and giving users a very hard time making compromises between their own line up. 

60p + DPAF + 120p Vs C-Log + S35 + 29:59+. It's not an easy one to decide at all. 

They should just put the 1DXII/1DC sensor inside a C100 MKII body. Same 1D image/codec/sensor/media + C100II ergonomics/features. 

Camera hunting over. 

Did a shootout with 1DX II and 1DC in a park today, had a quick look at the files when importing them. Here are the preliminary results:

1. Full frame HD video 24/30p they are the exactly the same quality in terms of sharpness and detail.

2. 1DX II 60P/120p are softer than HD 24/30p, but very slightly better than 1DC 60p.

3. 4K mode they have exactly the same quality in terms of sharpness and detail.

4. 1DX II and 1DC have about the same dynamic range when using neutral profile (0, -4, -2, 0), 1DX II has more chroma noise in the deep shadow but less pattern noise (vertical stripes). C-log on 1DC gives a lot more highlight headroom.

5. In neutral profile 1DX II is warmer and slightly desaturated than 1DC.

Original clips from the camera will be available for download.

2 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

And? The Alexa sensor is even older and still rules the industry.

We are not talking about Alexa here are we? stick to the thread am not putting him down or anything 

i just dont get the point buying OLD ass tech when NEW is just around the corner 

Update: you can order on Amazon alredy 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B6UR3ZM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1464566893&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=1dx+mark+ii&dpPl=1&dpID=41NlF1KSKKL&ref=plSrch

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

When that old ass high-end stuff is actually better than new gatbage at the same cost or lower, buying the old high end makes a lot of sense. 

Buying an old ass 1DC instead of getting the newest modern A7s MKII is exactly like buying a BMW 7 series 2010 make vs a brand new 3 series.

When you need the extra spacious interior, the stronger engine, the largee seats and more electronics, the stronger body and stability at on highways, it's a much better buy than the new 3 series. The 1DC has 7-series image quality. The image it peoduces in 4K DCI 4:2:2 500Mbps C-Log puts any other new camera to shame. Including the 1DXII believe it or not. And the FS7/F5 image, admittes by owners of these cinema cameras, that the final image output is ''better'' and much more filmic and easier to make it look perfect. Just a unique filmic image that cannot be found except in very few much more expensive cinema cameras. That's why uses 1DCs are flying off the internet and very hard to catch unless you peep and wait. 

Very high-end camera and the output quality will stay relevant and highest-end for a video business until 8K is standard. I.e., 5-10 years from now as 4K still isn't the standard! That's what makes the 1DC a smart but, it has YEARS left in it for high end 4K video prosuction. And it will survive and youget a 100% functional body even if the first user used to use it as a nail hammer. You it ain't gonna fail no matter how used it is, so a great used item!

19 minutes ago, Matthew19 said:

Because I got it for $2500 cheaper than a 1dx II. And it looks better. What's everyone use as a LUT for grading Log?

Resolve 12.5 has colour space transform FX, absolutely the best, without the issues that come with traditional LUT

Thanks for posting that Cinema5d review. It's really informative.

With Technicolor Cinestyle installed on the 1DX II, he achieves the exact same DR as the 1DC with C-Log (those final stops look much darker but they are there indeed: note that the 1DC is shooting at f5.6 while the 1DX II is at f11):

dynamic-range-1dxii.jpg

Of course, I'd love to see footage that demonstrates this in a side-by-side (like the one on the other thread). Honestly, I would not have believed it based on most of the 1DX II footage I have seen, but this is concrete proof.

Is no one else shooting with Technicolor Cinestyle installed on the 1DX II?

Moreover, the rolling shutter on the 1DX II has been reduced to 14ms, which is incredible! That's better than the FS7 and Ursa Mini 4.6k.