A7S II external monitor goes black when pressing record

Kevin Gates

I've seen this posted in a few places. Essentially with a monitor connected via HDMI in Manual mode I can see the image including aperture/shutter speed settings etc, but pressing record the screen goes black and the image goes back to the LCD on the back of the camera. In Movie mode I can see only the image, not the aperture/shutter speed settings etc, but again pressing record the image on the monitor goes black and the image goes back to the camera.

I've tried all HDMI settings, Monitor settings (Monitor/Viewfinder Manual/Auto) but nothing works - the monitor always switches off when I press record. Now I did manage to get it working once a few weeks ago, but I simply cannot fathom out how I did it. I think it's a combination of settings and switching the camera on/off, disconnecting the HDMI etc, but it's completely retarded.

Has anyone got a method from start to finish that works? A monitor is so important with this camera outdoors as if you're shooting in 4K the LCD dims to the point where you can't see anything.

Hope someone can assist.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Found this:

I shoot 4K internal and monitor in HD with no problem but settings have to be right in HDMI output.

Camera HDMI outputs are not labeled with enough detail.

When shooting:

1080p23.98 HDMI progressive output is 1080p23.98

1080p25 HDMI progressive output is 1080p50 (so many monitors can't see it)

1080p25 HDMI interlaced output is 1080i50

2160p25 HDMI progressive 4K output is 2160p25 (so most monitors can't see it)

2160p25 HDMI progressive HD output is 1080p50 (so many monitors can't see it)

2160p25 HDMI interlaced HD output is 1080i50

Tip. Force it to output interlaced. Unless you are using an external 4K recorder.

Cheers

Adam

A few reported the same problem.

• 10 months later...

Old topic, but just ran into the same issue after fiddling with menu setup. Using a Sony A7sii with Small HD 702 monitor. After menu changes when I record in 4k the monitor now goes black, similar to what OP experienced. There is an easy fix. Camera icon menu, second page, third item is "Dual Video Record." If you turn that off, you won't lose your monitor signal while recording in 4k.