Why remove saturation in camera?

BrorSvensson

1 hour ago, aldolega said:

The newest version of the Leeming GH4 LUT is based on setting more contrast than the earlier versions... 0 I believe, or maybe -1.

I didn't know that. I picked up his FZ300 LUT and I know with that one and the G7 he was keeping contrast  at 0, but didn't know he reversed on the GH4. 

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

@mercer your definitely right, "different roads to the same destination". We are all trying to come up with settings to optimize our workflow but you gotta admit certain cameras respond to adjustments like the master pedestal differently. I started noticing I have to jack my MP to +15 to prevent it from hard clipping shadow detail. That plus negative saturation and high bitrate hack allows me to squeeze a lot of detail into the 11 stop DR especially when underexposing. I have a complete different method if I am shooting with an a7s (thinking about getting the a7sii for the full frame 4k btw) or a GH4 etc. etc.

one rule has been universal though : lower your saturation enough to prevent color channel clipping

I haven't been following the hack too closely, just checked out a few grabs and a couple videos, and unfortunately I've never owned a camera that had master pedestal adjustment, but whatever you're doing it's working. Honestly, though... I'd be afraid of frying my camera.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Liam said:

Well, in theory, decreasing the saturation would make the colors easier to adjust, right?

yyeah as long as you don't go too low. you don't want the imaging process to boost the saturation too much but you need it low enough that you wont clip color channels or completely desaturate areas of low saturation. I came up with some nice settings for all the nx1 profiles except gamma dr