Why remove saturation in camera?

BrorSvensson

Removing the saturation in camera is one of the things which i've never really questioned or understood why you should do it until recently. What is the reason behind doing this? Wouldn't adding saturation in post vs in camera add more banding and similar? I understand for raw and 10 bit 422 cameras when you have a lot of leeway and are using lü†s, but on an 8bit 420 avdhd image i would only assume that it really isn't that good of an idea. 
Would love to hear the reasonings behind doing this.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm no expert, but I'll do my best. 

As I understand it, a luma (brightness) signal is an average/combination of the R, G, and B channels. While the overall brightness (luma) in one area of the frame may not be clipping on the histogram, one of the individual color channels may already have clipped, which causes lost information and strange color artifacts. 

If anyone who understands this better than me cares to chime in with clarifications, please do. 

Just now, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I'm no expert, but I'll do my best. 

As I understand it, a luma (brightness) signal is an average/combination of the R, G, and B channels. While the overall brightness (luma) in one area of the frame may not be clipping on the histogram, one of the individual color channels may already have clipped, which causes lost information and strange color artifacts. 

That makes sense, thanks you!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It's absolutely essential to me to remove saturation whilst shooting to reduce chroma clipping. Especially Red channels. I did tests and you can add as much saturation in post as you can but you can't lower the saturation if the channels were clipped. So I reduce saturation. 

11 minutes ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

It's absolutely essential to me to remove saturation whilst shooting to reduce chroma clipping. Especially Red channels. I did tests and you can add as much saturation in post as you can but you can't lower the saturation if the channels were clipped. So I reduce saturation. 

in what scenarios do you find red clipping to occur most frequently?

I'm no technician but do have experience.

red goes earlier on Canon, Blue goes out horribly on Sony... (Try a blue LED) And guess what, those are the tones each is known for.

I'm not sure which part of the analogue or digital pipeline is responsible for this, but do know it's what happens.

A bit of a WB tweak or a saturation drop can help. On Canon the WideDR profile is nice. Sony I don't know as I sold mine. Because it all looked blue.

2 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

To keep color channels from clipping. You don't want to lower it all the way; 1 or 2 points will do.

Exactly. As long as you lower it enough where the color looks realistic and not oversaturated like the TV's on a best buy display you're good. Point is to keep color channels from clipping and also exaggerating chrominance noise like many cameras tend to do @BrorSvensson

oh & like @Mattias Burling said, leave the contrast alone !

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

Exactly. As long as you lower it enough where the color looks realistic and not oversaturated like the TV's on a best buy display you're good. Point is to keep color channels from clipping and also exaggerating chrominance noise like many cameras tend to do @BrorSvensson

oh & like @Mattias Burling said, leave the contrast alone !

Forgot about chroma noise. Another great reason to dial down sat a couple points.

Seconded on not touching contrast. Maybe it worked on Canon cameras, but on a Panasonic/Sony especially, it just causes a bevy of problems with no real benefits.

I think a little lowering of contrast with Panasonic is fine. In fact, I think it really depends on the lens. If you're using a low contrast lens, then -2 is a good contrast level. If you're using a modern lens, then all the way down does work ok. Stu Mascwitz still dialed down his contrast, all the way, with his brief testing of the GH4. Shane Hurlbut found -2 to be the best contrast setting. The Leeming LUT is based on -5 contrast. Martin Wallgren with the GX85 used the Natural Profile with everything dialed all the way down. They all were getting really good images. 

with the gh4 I got away with lower contrast BUT I used the shadow and highlights feature to create an s-curve. I think the contrast dial on these cameras just destroy midtones if you go too far. It's like they inverse the s curve at the expense of midtone accuracy so you end up with plastic looking skin and weird saturation. This is DEFINITELY the case in the nx1. I pretty much leave my saturation alone and jack up the master pedestal to get raised shadows and keep my midtones looking nice. its better on compression as well @mercer

my gh4 natural settings were

-5 sharpness, -4 contrast, -1 saturation, -5 nr -2 shadows and +1 highlights

@kidzrevil IDK I think every shooter exposes slightly different and is looking for a different aesthetic. You have a very distinct visual style, so the combination between the way you expose and your profile settings need to be a specific recipe. You're getting really good results with the hack, but to be honest, your footage is the only example of the hack that I have seen that has benefitted by it. Ricardo underexposes, doesn't use the hack and he produces some of the best, cleanest images I've seen from the NX1.

You say to use the master pedestal and a curve with the gh4 and that obviously worked for you because your footage is some of my favorite footage from the gh4(I still think you should go back to it) but Noam Kroll says to never use those settings and he has some of the best videos I've ever seen shot with it... Different roads to the same destination. 

@mercer your definitely right, "different roads to the same destination". We are all trying to come up with settings to optimize our workflow but you gotta admit certain cameras respond to adjustments like the master pedestal differently. I started noticing I have to jack my MP to +15 to prevent it from hard clipping shadow detail. That plus negative saturation and high bitrate hack allows me to squeeze a lot of detail into the 11 stop DR especially when underexposing. I have a complete different method if I am shooting with an a7s (thinking about getting the a7sii for the full frame 4k btw) or a GH4 etc. etc.

one rule has been universal though : lower your saturation enough to prevent color channel clipping