Is it possible to expose correctly Slog2 in A7RII????

bristo

Hi,

I am using extensively the A7RII for photos in video...

I went thru the Andrew guide for video that helped me a lot.

Actually I am shooting video with Andrew "trick": PP6 and what he explains....then I grade with color finale in fcpx (using curves.... and lut...). It works pretty good.

However I would like to give one more try with Slog 2. After surfing on youtube and watching tons of videos I am really confused.

From what I have seen I need to overexpose by three stops to get good result with SLOG 2 because of grain. WHAT IS A GOOD WAY TO DO IT without external recorder with an A7RII ???? 

If someone has a good practical method with A7RII it would be cool to share it.

A7R II doesn't have zebra 40, do i have to be in spot metering and look at the metering but when I expose manually it goes just from -2 to +2???? how can I reach +3??? I am really confused....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

No need for +3. +2 is fine.

To expose correctly I use these three things:

1. Internal meter

2. Histogram 

3. Image

Zebras are mostly at 100+ for clipping but sometimes I use them at 70 for max skin exposure. 

Keep in mind that many times you have to deviate from +2, for example less when trying to keep things from clipping or more when a face is in the shadows.

for typical scenes in outdoors bright daylight with dark shadows:-

set your ev dial to +2 then use the histogram.  If you're not sure what the histogram should look like for correct s-log2 exposure just set the camera to auto mode and see what settings it wants for a +2 exposure.  then you know roughly how to set the camera up and how the histogram should look.  

for fool proof exposure just use a +2 setting on your ev dial and auto shutter.  use a variable ND to keep your shutter as close to 1/50th as you can

if you're not shooting in these conditions switch to another picture profile.  a cine profile will be more preferable for low light where less priority is given on maintaing highlights of light sources etc.

for easiest exposure, I am a fan of cine4.  this was shot with the ev dial at -1.0

Ok thank you, this is approximately the way I do it. Is it better to be in spot metering to set my correct exposure? 

I also use my zebras at 100 to see what is clipping but some people told me to use it at 70 to expose skin tone...