DJI Osmo and X5/X5R - what do we know?

Oliver Daniel

I've done my research on this but I can't find all the answers. It's all a bit confusing. 

Since the end of last year, I've been replacing/buying new gear that's small, portable and compact. It's all very high quality stuff, I don't buy crap ;) . e.g I've replaced my big Kino Flo's with LED panels and lamps with strong battery power. The trend follows through everything else. This is so I can decrease the limitations of where I can go, and increase creativity and opportunity with gear I can take anywhere. It's working out. 

The only thing that isn't is my gimbal. It's a Ronin-M and the package is a huge and can take a while to setup. It's being left behind on shoots where a gimbal could be wonderful, but it's juts too large and cumbersome for the conditions of the shoot (public places, derelict locations, fast paced, low profile). I always use the Ronin-M in controlled environments, but a lot of the time this isn't the case. 

I was filming an event last week. Had the A7SII as my camera. Got a load of lovely handheld shots. But time and time again, I wanted to 'pull off some moves' to add a different dimension to the not very interesting event. I had my Ronin-M in the van, but using it would of been a HUGE BITCH. Would of missed many key shots messing around. 

This brings me to the Osmo - which I believe can now adapt the X5 and X5R cameras, and also has some 4th axis spring thingy to get rid of walking bounce. That's right isn't it? 

The only thing I don't yet understand is the functionality of these Osmo combinations as compared to the Ronin-M. As a solo operator following moving subjects, dollying, orbiting, panning - how does the Oslo differ? Is it possible to replace the Ronin-M with Osmo + X5/X5R and get similar results? Examples? 

TELL ME. APPRECIATED. :) 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Have used the OSMO with the X3 so can just tell you about the operational bit and not the image quality.

It's pretty much good to go out of the box. Of course it's best you customize the settings like the the sensitivity/deadband etc as per your liking. It's worked better with iPhones than android devices with us, but did crash a lot in 4K (DCI not UHD). I believe a firmware upgrade has increased the reliability and battery life. IT works well for following, orbiting and panning. The panning does feel "electronic" but it's good. Mind you it's quite light so keeping your horizon level can be a bit of a challenge at times. I think the z-axis arm should solve this.  

We also have the Osmo. It's GoPro type quality footage... But not as wide. Low light is terrible. And that would be my main concern with the X5/X5r. There really isn't much in the way of footage outside of drone use for these cameras. That makes it a pretty tough pill to swallow for a $3k+ M43 camera, that will be $6k once rigged, though I can certainly understand the appeal of such a light and portable setup. We are planning a trip for Memorial Day and wondering what gear should go, and what should stay. Size and weight constraints play a major role in this thought process. I would love to bring the Helix, but how to carry all this stuff on a plane. I know my camera will not be leaving my line of sight. I don't want to be posting horror stories of losing our gear.

X5 + OSMO handle kit + Adapter + Z Axis should cost less $2000 if you shop hard.

If you have inspire 1 that would be no brainer, I will be getting one to replace my A7S/Pilotfly H1 combo, my Ronin M is for FS5 only.

I like having total control of my camera when flying, just like when flying on the air, change settings and focus on the go without having to stop the gimbal and setup again which can be pain in the ass sometimes lol.

And using my inspire 1 battery for all day shooting is really nice, no need to worry about the battery on both gimbal/camera, just my phone wont have that kind of battery life :/

Though I have to say FS5/Ronin M combo definitely gives me smoother footage when walking/running compare to A7s/Pilotfly combo, but OSMO X5 with Z-Axis should be able to compare nicely, and I plan to do more hyper lapse once I got the X5