Trying to choose for a16mm camera proress/raw

bristo

Hi,

I am trying to decide which setup is the best to shoot a fimographic documentary.

I need to be relatively small, lightweight and shoot handheld.

I also want to shoot in a good codec (prores) but have the possibility to shoot some raw videos.

I am a photographer and I just shoot (99% of the time) with a 35 mm lens (full frame). I mainly use a Leica M9.

however I now also begin to be more involved in video.

My second camera is an A7RII and I use it extensively for improving my video skills....

I color grade with color finale and davinci resolve it depends.

I will have to shoot a documentary in 3 months but in more filmic way (I will not color grade but a professional will do it) so I need to shoot in prores in HD no need for 4K. I will shoot with one lens a 35 mm equivalent because it is the way I am use to frame in photography. 

I will not be able to light properly each shot just 50% of the time...

My A7RII would be perfect : internal stab is enough for me, I use It in s 35 mode with a 24mm Leica R which gives me a 35mm equivalent, it is small and lightweight. The problem is the 8bit Xavc. With an atomos it will be bigger and the camera output 8 bit so not a good idea.

I was thinking using a bmpcc with a 12 mm (slr magic or Olympus) and a kind of small portable rig but I am not sure of the handheld shooting.

I know there is also the new bmmicro cinema camera with the video assist I could also use with a small rig.

Or a bmcinema camera with a small rig...

the urea mini is gonna be too big.

I also think of using an OIS lenses for stabilization (12-35 panda for example)

does everybody as an experience with a small handheld kit that works for documentary shooting?

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What about the JVC LS300 ? Very light and you can adapt pretty much any lens on it. M4/3 lenses with IS are also natively supported. And as a bonus, you don't even need to rig it, and battery life seems decent.

You won't get raw but the codec is good enough if you are not overgrading.