Quesrion. A7sII or A7rII

Curtis Ross

I have read the differences about each but i am still confused. I will be purchasing use strictly for video. In areas with not the best light. Natural light mostly. Will be using with canon lenses and naitive sony lenes likely. Can some please break it down for me. Thanks,

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Curtis,

I have an A7RII, I am a photgrapher and I also shoot video. A7RII is my main camera for traveling project run and gun with small package. I shoot 80% photos and 20% videos. For video only I would choose the A7SII.

Go the A7RII. I owned it, and though not owning the current A7SII, I owned the A7S - the BSI sensor in the A7RII produces an image that I believe is much superior to the original A7S, and everything I have seen from the A7SII. I find the colours of the A7RII are much more accurate, shadows much cleaner. You really don't need more than 12,800ISO (if not 6400ISO), which the A7RII does fine. Personally, I scrap a location if it needs more than 6400ISO (back in the day I'd scrap it if needed more than 1600ISO) - when ISO gets ridiculous, good chance one shouldn't even be shooting there in the first place.

15 hours ago, bristo said:

Yes Simon but I also find 6400 isos really good for video but in crop mod (S35) on the a7rII not in full frame. However I do not own the A7SII (just the a7rII) but you can go go 6400 isos full frame.

True. I don't like shooting full-frame, though. To be honest, 16mm is my favourite format. Hence my love for the sensor-size in my Blackmagic Pocket and Micro :)

2 hours ago, Curtis Ross said:

I almost feel like the a6300 will be a better value than the A7s ii... What are the main factors in the additional $2000 price tag difference??? Could use that on a lens or two :)

I think the A6300 is a much, much better purchase than the A7SII. Low-light is very good, especially in 4K. But with all Sony cameras, one must be conscious of the rolling-shutter when shooting 4K. The A6300 has the sharpest 4K image of all Sony cameras - even trumping the FS series in some tests I have seen. Most likely due to the 6K over-sampling.

Buy the A6300, and invest your money in glass. Always invest in glass. Camera bodies come and go, glass will be with you for many, many years. And whats more, never underestimate how important glass is when it comes to your image. We spend a lot of time analysing sensors and whatnot, but many lose sight of the contribution good glass makes to a cinematic image.

If I were you, I would buy the A6300, Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 ART and Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART in Canon EF mount, and the Sigma MC-11 Canon-EF to Sony- E mount adapter and Sigma USB dock (for updating firmware).

28 minutes ago, Simon Shasha said:

True. I don't like shooting full-frame, though. To be honest, 16mm is my favourite format. Hence my love for the sensor-size in my Blackmagic Pocket and Micro :)

I think the A6300 is a much, much better purchase than the A7SII. Low-light is very good, especially in 4K. But with all Sony cameras, one must be conscious of the rolling-shutter when shooting 4K. The A6300 has the sharpest 4K image of all Sony cameras - even trumping the FS series in some tests I have seen. Most likely due to the 6K over-sampling.

Buy the A6300, and invest your money in glass. Always invest in glass. Camera bodies come and go, glass will be with you for many, many years. And whats more, never underestimate how important glass is when it comes to your image. We spend a lot of time analysing sensors and whatnot, but many lose sight of the contribution good glass makes to a cinematic image.

If I were you, I would buy the A6300, Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 ART and Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART in Canon EF mount, and the Sigma MC-11 Canon-EF to Sony- E mount adapter and Sigma USB dock (for updating firmware).

Definitely food for thought... Only thing I am worried about is out growing the a6300 since this isnt my first rodeo...But i could be wrong.. Its definitely in the running because of that price and abilities.