"Organic" looking lenses

kidzrevil

• Administrators

Forget the Nikon stuff. Keep a DSO handy.

Meanwhile, the best of the 'modern' organic looking lenses combine high contrast with funkiness - an x-factor which is difficult to describe. Those that have it are:

Batis 25mm
Zeiss 28mm F2.0
Canon 50mm F1.2 and 85mm F1.2

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@Parker do you have any links to your NX1 footage with the contax lenses ? thats what I will be using them with. @TheRenaissanceMan thx ! Gonna look deeper into the contax survival guide. Russian glass is cool I just hate having to order from Russia on ebay, had some bad experiences with that lol. 

Yeah...plus, Russian quality control was pretty iffy. You have to buy a few copies to make sure you get good ones, which inflates the cost. That's why I'm buying the CY Zeiss set. 

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

right now I am torn between nikkor and contax zeiss. Since I do not want to get in the habit of buying hella lenses I won't use I am torn between getting the Contax Zeiss 28mm f2 and 50mm f1.4 and how I can use nikkor 20mm f2.8 ais, nikkor 55mm f1.2

I have the Nikkor 28 AIS and use it with a Metabones on a GX8. It rocks. I also used it extensively on a Nikon 810 (for stills and video) and it worked well with that too so it is fine in high resolution systems.

I have a Contax 50 1.7 MMJ which is nice but I notice that I don't get as much focus peaking on the GX8 as I do with the 28mm AIS, so it isn't as sharp. Still has nice rendering though.

37 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@Parker do you have any links to your NX1 footage with the contax lenses ? thats what I will be using them with. @TheRenaissanceMan thx ! Gonna look deeper into the contax survival guide. Russian glass is cool I just hate having to order from Russia on ebay, had some bad experiences with that lol. 

Maybe try Artem! My go to guy for Russian lenses can be found here: http://www.ebay.com/usr/artemstore . Always a pleasure doing business with him. He has standard and occassional gems (as well as NOS (New old stock)/surplus). I always find myself going through his offers ever now and again. There's a couple of more stores like it in my favs. Zenit/KMZ/HELIOS/JUPITER/etc never disappoint on character.

Contax Yashica Zeiss, it has been said many times before, they have that Super Speed/Ultra Primes-touch. I wanted to go with Leica R as well, but you know... for a whole set you'll be spending pretty crazy money and a fair CY Zeiss set can be had for perhaps what one of your Milvus lenses goes for... just the 21mm f/2.8 is a very rare and expensive one... the 100mm f/2.8 is priced outside of the range of the others as well, the 25, 28, 35, 45, 85 and 135mm aren't actually that mad expensive. The 50mm -> f/1.4 would be the exception to the f/2.8. The 45mm is a bit of an oddball there, it's more of a pancake lens that kinda takes a slight hit on performance. But a very solid line-up otherwise. Not sure how they'd match with the NX1... but I take it there's enough people who've tested the particular combo.

I also 2nd the Ai-s! Especially the 28mm f/2.8. It's kind of a legendary one. Very sharp, hardly any distortion (sweet for landscape with D5300). I had gotten mine through: http://www.aclub.com/product-p/nik_28_2.8_mf.htm . They might give you a small discount if you ask nicely. ;)

17 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Meanwhile, the best of the 'modern' organic looking lenses combine high contrast with funkiness - an x-factor which is difficult to describe. Those that have it are:

Batis 25mm
Zeiss 28mm F2.0

The DSO Trumps are definitely "organic" in their rendering.

That mismatched set you listed isn't exactly ideal for serious work, though.

10 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

wow damn thing looks like it shoots down aircraft lolllllll

nikkor 55mm sounds good !!! I had the 50mm f1.2 and loved the image out of it. Have you ever shot with any contax zeiss glass ? @BrorSvensson

yeah the 55mm is a real beaut. Haven't tried contax zeiss lenses but from what i've seen they are very sharp and have a very modern look.

3 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

One word: Helios. 

Mir and some Takumars look sweet. Also SLR Magic. 

Canon FD are very accessible, but look almost identical to their modern equivalents. 

Man, i was reading the thread and thinking "how can no one reccomend the Helios 44-2 ?" 
How do you get more "organic" than that ? :D

@Oliver Daniel agreed. I have a 50mm & 85mm takumar. I love how they look especially in black and white ! The helios 44 is so cheap I may get one on ebay if I can.

@TheRenaissanceMan thats exactly the look im going for. Definitely has an organic feel to the footage, reminds me of movies in the 80s. I've settled on getting the two lenses you mentioned

Been playing around with the Asahi Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 lately. It has a classic rendering to it and its super sharp. These are stills from the hacked nx1 at 200mbps h265 downscaled from 4k to 1080

takumar.jpg

takumar 2.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 5:38 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Batis 25mm
Zeiss 28mm F2.0

I like the look of the batis lenses. Too bad they are only emount :(