Help setting up for a documentary project

yiomo

I purchased the A7s mainly for fiction work and general photography. It seems to me very complicated for documentary work. However I am about to begin the production of a feature documentary and this is all I have. I would like to have a very simple/ lightweight setup that would include my AC7 monitor and a small mic on top (propably rode pro) as well a lavalier mic. This photo is exactly what I have in mind. Although I will record on cards internally and not on a hard disk. Could someone with experience on A7s please help me with the following things:

1. I cannot understand how the monitor is attached on this Lanparte base. I have the same base but fail to undestand how this is set up. I presume a rail accessory + a ball head but it hast to be a very small ball head. Any ideas?

2. By now, I believe most A7s users will have settled on simple as well as more elaborate image settings. I will be shooting mainly indoors at this stage, but still struggling with the 3200 min ISO with s-log (and everything that it requires), so was wondering if there are any other non slog settings that could be recommended.

Many thanks.

a7r-rig-hdmi.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For doc work, I would think that just shooting without a monitor would be easier; one less thing to worry about.

plus, it keeps your public profile low is often better for doc work, depending on circumstances  

And, yes, I'd think no need for LOG. Just dial in flat settings with the basic color profile. 

Lots of A7s picture profile threads here and on DVXuser. Cine 4 and Autumn Leaves will give you nice results with the full ISO range.

Smallrig has lots of rod clamps with threads in between the rods, looks like any generic small ballhead plus a clamp would do the trick. Personally I'd go with a small arm so you can articulate the monitor as needed.

IMO the A7s would make a pretty good doc camera, a lens like the 24-105 could cover pretty much anything you'd encounter. I've used mine with the 24-105 for ENG type stuff. Set all your custom buttons to video functions to reduce menu diving. APS-c mode is sharp and extends your lens range.

I'd consider one of the Sony XLR mic attachments, you can have two sources of audio if needed, so you don't have to fiddle with swapping plugs with a lav and shotgun.

Good luck.

I shot a documentary last year on a Panasonic FZ200. Audio was via a Zoom H1. I was going to delay everything until I had £15,000 worth of rig, but decided to shoot once the opportunity was hot and there for the taking.

My entire equipment cost £500.

Unless you are planning to sell to a broadcasting company, it doesn't really matter what you use if the story is good enough and you have the heart to do it.

I only say this because it is tempting to use the excuse that we don't have the perfect set up as a cover for procrastination. We end up never producing anything.

Next documentary will be filmed using the a7sii - this time I will be able to shoot indoors, as well :)