Imagine Cuba - A7R II / RX100 IV / Pilotfly

wolf33d

Hi guys, 

I have been using the A7R II and the RX100 IV for travel in Cuba, check my video if you want to see the result. 

So far I loved the RX100 for the slowmo (I filmed everything in 120fps with it) and the A7R II was good too. The IBIS is not great but better than nothing especially when you dont have an IS lens. 
No overheating problem (this is mostly a problem for people who record long times). The biggest problem that made me sell it is ergonomics (body and menus, ..). It is atrocious. 

Also I am very disappointed with the AF. Actually my 2 biggest challenges during my trip for video were focus and ergonomics shits of the A7R. Having to set everything all the time was a pain, and the AF was not satisfying. I had no time for manual focus for the type of shots I did so missed a lot of shots because of this. I did focus manually 25% of the time though but it was a pain too. 
The only solution for me is DPAF from Canon or A6300 AF (I did not try it). 

Rolling shutter is insane on the A7R. 
I used the 60p FHD mode sometimes and also the FF mode instead of crop mode sometimes without noticing a big difference. 
I used a Pilotfly H1+ that was ok. Used it only for the RX100. 

The good thing is the combo RX100/gimbal 120fps and the A7R II for DoF shots and 4k.

Who has used this combo successfully? 
What do you think about the video? I feel horrible about how Vimeo destroyed it, the original file is SO clean on my screen... But I guess we are all in the same basket here.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think you've done a great job, but...I preferred the little sections in the middle where you weren't really trying to emulate the style of other videos like this. The wooshes and swoops kind of take me out of the action a little bit and I'm left thinking, does this fastly cut interwoven style work for your subject, Cuba? I don't know, I've never been, but the feeling I got from your actual shots was a more laid back lifestyle, people seemed to be taking their time, life looks more sanguine - could you capture that?

Otherwise on an aesthetic level the colours are amazing and your movement is lovely. You also seem to great way with the locals, they let you get close and film them which is always pretty challenging. I guess I'd just like to see more of the human side come out of it.

What Gregormannschaft said. I prefer the non "Watchover" parts and you did great with people!!! 

With my Canon 7D it took me a couple of months to take nail focus with the rear LCD. But now with the LX100 and 4K, I lose a few clips to slighty unfocused clips, that don't show well on the rear LCD. I want an Atomos or something!  4K and FF are much worse, so you really need a monitor and manual focus to do what you want.

Thanks for the interesting comments. 
I agree that people are more laidback in Cuba, and that my editing is on the fast side. I did not use this technique specifically for this project but just because I wanted to try it (never did this type of edit before). I took 600 clips in Cuba in 2 weeks so it was the good opportunity. I tried to be slower though than Watchtower where it's so fast you sometimes dont even know what is happening.
Maybe a classic edit would have been more adapted to this video. 

For the people, I could have put more people in the video. But on this point Cuba is just not the people but also the lands and animals which are all fantastic so I tried to put a mix of them. 

The thing with Atomos and LCDs is the weight and volume and the equipment you need which is not practical when traveling with your GF and doing this not as the main purpose but on the side of the travel :) Thats why I need good AF. 

wolf33d, i really like it - looks awesome and reminds me of this one, which I also like very much:

As much as I like this style of editing, I agree with the others that it was maybe a tad too much. Yet, I am really curious to try this one as well!

Beautiful video Wolf, very impressive.  I quite liked the hyperlapse style.. didn't seem too overdone and you did a good job of it.  I'm wondering how much you shot in that style (camera moves / quick pans / lots of slo-mo / etc.) and how much you were able to do in post.

I haven't had a lot of AF issues with the A7R2 so far, but my shooting has been a lot less demanding compared to the amount of motion in your shots.  What lenses were you using?  Ever try the center lock-on AF?

Those editing get faster every year... by 2020 only robots will be able to watch anything that we produce... Just because the attention span is shortening doesn't mean we have to make everything faster and/or shorter. Well that being said I'm going back to watching some Kurosawa's movies... :) Great job anyway ;) 

10 hours ago, tellure said:

Beautiful video Wolf, very impressive.  I quite liked the hyperlapse style.. didn't seem too overdone and you did a good job of it.  I'm wondering how much you shot in that style (camera moves / quick pans / lots of slo-mo / etc.) and how much you were able to do in post.

I haven't had a lot of AF issues with the A7R2 so far, but my shooting has been a lot less demanding compared to the amount of motion in your shots.  What lenses were you using?  Ever try the center lock-on AF?

Thanks. 
I did a lot of movements in shot directly, but then for each shot I use speed ramps on FCPX. But the movements are real, from the camera, except for one or 2 zooming effects. 
It's all about playing with speed ramps at the right time during the right movement. 
No twixtor since I used 120fps and 60fps for slowmo

I took 600 clips during the 2 weeks.

20 hours ago, Inazuma said:

I really liked it :) The big thing that stood out to me though was the mixing of different cameras. I'm not sure if it was the GoPro or the RX100, but you could clearly see the drop in quality when it was used.

Interesting. GoPro is only for the underwater shot so I guess it is the RX100 then. Basically all the slowmo is RX100, swallow DoF shots A7RII