Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 First Impressions

Lintelfilm

• Administrators

Got my hands on it as well today, only in store. Not decided whether to buy it yet as I have the Canon 70-200mm F2.8 II and that has stabilisation.

The image is beautiful from the Sigma. It has a bundle of character.

Nice build quality but the tripod mount collar is non-removable so something to note if you plan to use on a rig.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, The Chris said:

This is pretty common with zooms in this range, MFD is always about 1m.

Yeah I realised that. It's actually a little better than average.

I just wrote a more in depth article for Newsshooter about my first impressions noting this. Don't know when it'll be live but I've done a short video too. 

The more I use it the more I like it though. The longer focal length basically amounts to that lovely 18-35 bokeh on steroids!

I'm using the manual zoom a lot too as it's very smooth. Dan Chung has alluded to it being not quite parfocal BTW. For critical stuff you might not want to zoom but you can definitely get away with it without adjusting focus if you want to.

On May 4, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Lintelfilm said:

I'm using the manual zoom a lot too as it's very smooth. Dan Chung has alluded to it being not quite parfocal BTW. For critical stuff you might not want to zoom but you can definitely get away with it without adjusting focus if you want to.

The manual zooms above looked really nice. I want one! Thanks for sharing.