Canon if you read this.

wolf33d

We all know that you could do:

A full frame mirrorless, usual Canon ergonomics and color science, 20-36 mpx, articulated touch screen LCD, DPAF, in body 5 axis stab, 4K at 60 FPS and 1080p at 120 FPS like the 1Dx2 with C-LOG. WIth EF mount.

Sony does it so you can do it. But they suck with ergonomics, lenses and colours. So you just have to release this to kill them right away, just as you did in the past with their A-Mount stuff. They don't have the lens ecosystem, and ergonomics, service, reliability and so on. 

SO just do it!

There are tons of people like me interested in a photo/video do it all (but well) full frame package. My money is ready, I am sure millions of others too. Is it that hard to be good? That hard to at least match competitors specs? You showed a good sign with the 1Dx2. But who aparts from specific pro/sport shooters want a 6000$ 1.5kg monster? Did you say look at the EOS cinema line? Cause you think I am gonna bring a 10k$ Heavy and unpractical monster that can't take a proper still picture on top of Huyana Potosi at 20.000ft this summer? 

I can't be the only one wishing for this. 

I am sure Panasonic will bring us those specs in the GH5 and with good colours and ergonomics. But with shit AF and shit M43 DoF and stills.

So Canon... Your chance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

A full frame mirrorless, usual Canon ergonomics and color science, 20-36 mpx, articulated touch screen LCD, DPAF, in body 5 axis stab, 4K at 60 FPS and 1080p at 120 FPS like the 1Dx2 with C-LOG. WIth EF mount.

Sony does it so you can do it. But they suck with ergonomics, lenses and colours. So you just have to release this to kill them right away, just as you did in the past with their A-Mount stuff. They don't have the lens ecosystem, and ergonomics, service, reliability and so on. 

SO just do it!

There are tons of people like me interested in a photo/video do it all (but well) full frame package. My money is ready, I am sure millions of others too. Is it that hard to be good? That hard to at least match competitors specs? You showed a good sign with the 1Dx2. But who aparts from specific pro/sport shooters want a 6000$ 1.5kg monster? Did you say look at the EOS cinema line? Cause you think I am gonna bring a 10k$ Heavy and unpractical monster that can't take a proper still picture on top of Huyana Potosi at 20.000ft this summer? 

I am sure Panasonic will bring us those specs in the GH5 and with good colours and ergonomics. But with shit AF and shit M43 DoF and stills.

So Canon... Your chance.

We all know this isn't going to happen. And if it does, expect it to exceed C300 II in pricing. It'd be easier to convince Samsung to bring a full frame version of NX1 from the dead.

50 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

SO just do it!

So Canon... Your chance.

Just add C-Log to the 1DX Mkii and call it a day.  As for a smaller body,  not gonna happen. They need room for heat-pipes, and that cannot fit in the smaller body. And given what you need it for,  I take it you'll want that weather sealed also.  Btw, who else is packaging these specs into a weather sealed body? Sony A7 series, FS5/7 are not weather sealed. 

53 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

I see. Canon management is probably filled up with people like you. Pessimistic can't do/impossible attitude. :) 

All those specs exist but are spread on a few brands.

sony are innovative and try things and push specs. But they forget the basics

Some wonder, like I did, why Canon seem to innovate so slowly. As it turns out this was to reward customers with the knowledge that when purchasing a new Canon camera, they could rest assured that their product would remain current for years to come. Sony on the other hand replaces their models once or twice per year. Canon started this practice many years ago, and even went as far as to promise not to change a model for 10 years. 

Here is a very informative video about the history of Canon. It will help you understand their philosophy.

Please canon don't give us 4k, it will overheat and the rolling shutter issues will ruin your reputation. Instead give us 10 bit 422 at 2.5k with a good sensor readout (3ms), in different codec flavours with different storages rates. It would be nice to have the possibility to record to hevc 10 bit 422 and also pro res 10 bit 422 HQ. The rest you already do right. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
On 4/29/2016 at 11:26 PM, wolf33d said:

A full frame mirrorless,

usual Canon ergonomics and color science,

20-36 mpx,

articulated touch screen LCD,

DPAF, in body 5 axis stab,

4K at 60 FPS and

1080p at 120 FPS like the 1Dx2 with C-LOG.

WIth EF mount.

Canon will not make a mirrorless full frame camera. Period. They believe the mirrorless line is APS-C and they WILL release a higher-end APS-C EOS M soon. So first requestm nota chance. You'll get a DSLR if you want full-frame.

Canon clearly state that they believe in-camera stabilization is a lot less accurate than in-camera stabilization as it can be made and tuned for each lens/optical formula. They will not give you IBIS. 

To get 60p at 4K they need the 1DX size with CFAST 2.0 slot that literally still gives you an almost 3rd degree burn when you shoot a sequence. So not going to happen in a smaller camera, physically impossible for Canon at the moment. 

Other than these, what you're describing that will come from Canon, the closest is their upcoming 5D series camera. Which will have

-high resolution 24-28 stills sensor (still being tested)

-with a CFAST 2.0 card slot (along with one CF) and

-shoots 4K (UHD) full sensor readout up to 30p,

-with an in-camera 120p HD,

-fixed LCD with touch functionality

-Dual pixel AF sensor architecture, 

-Typical Canon ergonomics and colour science, without C-Log.

-and of course EF mount. 

It will be a 5D improved upon in each little way, an evolution rather than a revolution. HIgher resolution stills, dynamic range, burst rate, viewfinder, LCD, Autofocus in both VF and LCD (DPAF), higher shutter actuation rate, stronger weather sealing, better video, i.e., a 5D MK VI!

That's the most you'll get from Canon in the next 4-5 years in the small form hybrid market for video. If it's not enough then look for another company right away. 

18 hours ago, Tiago Rosa-Rosso said:

Please canon don't give us 4k, it will overheat and the rolling shutter issues will ruin your reputation. Instead give us 10 bit 422 at 2.5k with a good sensor readout (3ms), in different codec flavours with different storages rates. It would be nice to have the possibility to record to hevc 10 bit 422 and also pro res 10 bit 422 HQ. The rest you already do right. 

But then the major focal group of buyers (much larger group than us) will demand 4K and aggressively put it down marketing-wise if it had HD or 2.5K with better RS/DR/Codecs, because, 2.5 is a smaller number than 4, isn't it? In the grand scheme of things the 5D MKIV will have improved video functions in the package and it WILL make its hand into lots of video productions but mostly it's an improved stills digital SLR camera. While video productions are ''mostly'' moving up to dedicated video cameras like the FS5/C100/LS300/BM. That's what I see anyway in all the video houses around.   

8 minutes ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

But then the major focal group of buyers (much larger group than us) will demand 4K and aggressively put it down marketing-wise if it had HD or 2.5K with better RS/DR/Codecs, because, 2.5 is a smaller number than 4, isn't it? In the grand scheme of things the 5D MKIV will have improved video functions in the package and it WILL make its hand into lots of video productions but mostly it's an improved stills digital SLR camera. While video productions are ''mostly'' moving up to dedicated video cameras like the FS5/C100/LS300/BM. That's what I see anyway in all the video houses around.   

No doubt. It would be nice to have it, but I'm perfectly conscious it wouldn't sell. The majority wants 4, 6, 8k. Personally I think this chase for resolution it's ridiculous. My guess is that we will end up having 8k cameras that still deliver 8bit- 4.2.0 with horrible RS and overheating issues.         

3 hours ago, wolf33d said:

I see. Canon management is probably filled up with people like you. Pessimistic can't do/impossible attitude. :) 

All those specs exist but are spread on a few brands.

sony are innovative and try things and push specs. But they forget the basics

Out of curiosity, how long have you been with Canon?

I was okay with Canon leaving out 4K in the 70D, I was iffy about Canon leaving out 4K in the 7D mark 2, and now I'm pissed that Canon left it out of the 80D.

I understand that doing DCI 4K @ 60fps in the 1DX mark 2... and it was all in the right direction...

But the 80D without 4K was in the wrong direction, in my opinion... especially if they were competing with Nikon and its releases of the D5 & D500.

At this point, I highly doubt that the 5D mark 4 will get it. And, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.... you shouldn't either.

3 hours ago, wolf33d said:

You bet. It is pretty certain it will come and not long after 5DIV. 

Magic Lantern has shown us that Canon could have done a lot more if they wanted ages back. But it's just not in their DNA. It's not pessimism if it's grounded in reality.

12 hours ago, wolf33d said:

SO just do it!

So Canon... Your chance.

12 hours ago, wolf33d said:

SO just do it!

So Canon... Your chance.

Such kind of fanboy attitute has allowed for canon to come out with Cameras like the 1300D,  7D ii, and almost everything else in the DSLR range in the last few years.

Go pick up a 5D mark ii. You don't deserve anything apart from that.

Whether they can or not, they won't. A lot of people are still really happy with their current Canon equipment because they care less about image quality and have lower end needs. I've had my C100 since it was released and all I wish it did better was highlight dynamic range and internal codec.

Most of the people I work with are low end users ($600-$1000/day, low six figure/year) so for them the extra cost of higher end storage isn't worth it. Editing in 4k is a LOT more expensive than 2k. For higher end users, I think most people I know go for an Alexa and attempt to raise their rate accordingly, but I get the frustration with camera size and battery life. An Alexa Mini that required less rigging and was actually affordable would be everyone's dream (though I suppose I only need 2k, whereas you'd want 4k+, but its internal 4k upscale isn't terrible).

Unfortunately your needs exceed those of most and the market bears what it bears. We're dragging you down, sorry. I would just up your rate and try to afford an Alexa Mini.

• Super Members

(imo)

All I know is that the 4K raw from the BMPC looked great when I shot it.
But so does the show "Curb Your Enthusiasm" from when they where still 4:3 SD, the colors and detail is smashing.
Just recently rewatched Seinfeld, the 35mm in SD looks amazing.
I just binge watched a new favorite photo channel on youtube, shot on the EOS-M with a 22mm, it looked great. Not once did I feel the image lacking.

Point?
Resolution is not that important. 1080p HD is still overkill for 99% everything being made.
What really matters is (leaving out content here), DR, colors, composition, mood, movement, etc.

And with DR its not so much having as many stops as possible, but more what you do with them.
You can always light, choose the time of day, bounce, crush, etc so the image falls within the DR you have.
Working with the limitations.

4 hours ago, SR said:

Magic Lantern has shown us that Canon could have done a lot more if they wanted ages back.

Magic lantern would have shown the same with most any camera in the world, if they had access to the full firmware.

Manufacturers have to aim for a certain level of performance with an average SD/CF card, especially with the consumer range.

What I would like to see manufacturers do is add a paid "pro" firmware upgrade, that would assume certain minumum specs on your media

53 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

What I would like to see manufacturers do is add a paid "pro" firmware upgrade, that would assume certain minumum specs on your media

two words: app store

its been brought up before, years ago by @EOSHD_Twitter himself, and others, time and again

> why have literally zero manufacturers capitalized on this. dont they like money?

the "app store" is keeping apple alive right now. u kno whats great about my 13" ipad pro? app store. nothing else. apples software implementation of their pencil stylus is hot garbage – but an app like procreate changes everything – and it shows what the future of photoshop could be with a touch interface. its great

but you dont have to download apps on your ipad!!! and 98% of people who buy an ipad download few if any apps, beyond social media/etc, that actually expand the depth of functionality of their device. perfect analogy!

if there was a 1dxii app store id be downright sympathetic about that $6k pricetag smh. instead, please forgive me for being very critical of that image vs 5diii raw

The guys at the major rental houses in my area of the U.K. They said there's been a huge decline in the rental if Canon camera, most notably the C300. They said there's been zero demand for the C300 II, so they sold their units off. 

The reason is because of the FS7 - which is now the most popular and successful camera right now at the rental house. It has functionality the Canons don't. 

This is quite amazing seen as Canon literally dominated rentals the past few years (besides the Alexa of course). 

I like Canon products and the image. I think they should change their tactics to make more appealing products at more sensible prices. 

19 hours ago, wolf33d said:

12 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Canon will not make a mirrorless full frame camera. Period. They believe the mirrorless line is APS-C and they WILL release a higher-end APS-C EOS M soon. So first requestm nota chance. You'll get a DSLR if you want full-frame.

Canon clearly state that they believe in-camera stabilization is a lot less accurate than in-camera stabilization as it can be made and tuned for each lens/optical formula. They will not give you IBIS. 

To get 60p at 4K they need the 1DX size with CFAST 2.0 slot that literally still gives you an almost 3rd degree burn when you shoot a sequence. So not going to happen in a smaller camera, physically impossible for Canon at the moment.

Hey,guys

If you really want Canon to change ,the first step is to be their largest shareholder,otherwise nothing you say make a difference