Compensation for Actors/Actresses

Jonesy Jones

I'm in the middle of casting for an upcoming project. Wanted to know what your experience is with paying talent. First, do you typically pay by the hour, day, or project? Second, what are the rates you'd normally pay? 

I am fully aware rates will vary drastically from project to project due to skill, experience, demand, geography, role, budget, etc. But any bone you can throw me would be great. 

Also, where do you find your talent? A couple/few years ago I'd put an ad in Craigslist and get a hundred responses in a day or two. This week..... wait for it..... 3.

I'm in SoCal if that's of any value.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I know here it's around $650 minimum day rate for SAG actors. 

Fark! In Aus the union rate is just over $200 a day, that's under $200 a day $USD!

Jonesy you didn't mention what kinda project? I've had very talented actors work on my shorts gratis. I've sometimes reciprocated and shot shorts for actors reels gratis. Up and coming actors here generally have really shit reels, so they're hungry for anything that showcases their talent. Barter is a thing. But actors do tend to lose interest fast if they're not paid and fed well.

25 minutes ago, squig said:

But actors do tend to lose interest fast if they're not paid and fed well.

They're asking for money now? And food?!? Who do they think they are?!?

In Portugal there's no union, so no union rate, but for TV it's 200/250€ a day.

For a film you're payed by the project, if it's a short and it didn't get public funding, you're most likely doing it for free - with some exceptions.

In Spain I can't get any decent actors for less than 350€ a day, though usually it ends up being around 500€ (for corporate or web advertising) and at least 750€/day for a commercial. And yes, feeding them properly and general pampering is worth it -they work better in a good mood-.

In France, the bare legal minimum is with the "intermittent status" which appriximates to ~$200/day (then the states comes and takes a third of it, thank you France...).

Usually with indie filmmakers, you just pay for the expenses related to the job (sleeping, eating, and so). Not really legal, but with 0€ productions ... we have to :o

2 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

I know here it's around $650 minimum day rate for SAG actors. 

You'd be surprised how low it is under Modified and Ultra Low Budget contracts. I've worked with a group of pretty big names making under $200/day on a feature produced by an A-lister under Modified low budget. Ultra Low Budget you can get away with deferred pay (no pay).

And how high it is for ads ($50k+/day for background including residuals on major spots).

There's also always non-union. Most non union actors will work for a couple hundred dollars a day to have something for their reel.

26 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Thank you for all the great intel. Very useful. I knew I could count on you guys.

Plenty of useful info here too... http://www.sagindie.org There's a little misinformation in this thread, like being able to defer payment under the Ultra Low Budget Agreement. that contract requires a minimum of $125/day plus $17.3% for pension and health and you must hire a payroll service. It's the New Media agreement that allows you to negotiate payment as low as $0.

On 4/29/2016 at 1:22 AM, Jonesy Jones said:

Also, where do you find your talent? A couple/few years ago I'd put an ad in Craigslist and get a hundred responses in a day or two. This week..... wait for it..... 3.

Maybe Craigslist has moved out of favor in your area? I am sure there are still places. Try Facebook groups perhaps?