New Canon 1DX Mkii Footage

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah it looks great. Whatever it is... the high bitrate, the color science, or even the mjpeg codec... Canon 4K is the nicest 4K I have seen. 

Definitely the nicest 8-bit 4K. They've always gotten motion cadence really, really right, and that MJPEG color feels so thick compared to other 8-bit cameras. 

Clean lowlight although blacks are super crushed. Dynamic range suffers from the grade too. Looks very digital. I'd love to see the log/flat ingest.

A lot of the tonality and detail issues are down to how YouTube compresses the hell out of the picture. There's too much movement and not enough noise. I'm sure the upload version looks much, much better.

I'm more impressed by how well the GH4 has held up. If this is what's to come from Canon, I'm sure people who bought into m43 will be happy knowing their investment is sound.

Grade is also terrible for a Canon camera. People hate on Sony's colours. Obviously they chose to go cold and green but it'd make more sense to play to the brand's strengths.

36 minutes ago, andrgl said:

Clean lowlight although blacks are super crushed. Dynamic range suffers from the grade too. Looks very digital. I'd love to see the log/flat ingest.

A lot of the tonality and detail issues are down to how YouTube compresses the hell out of the picture. There's too much movement and not enough noise. I'm sure the upload version looks much, much better.

I'm more impressed by how well the GH4 has held up. If this is what's to come from Canon, I'm sure people who bought into m43 will be happy knowing their investment is sound.

Grade is also terrible for a Canon camera. People hate on Sony's colours. Obviously they chose to go cold and green but it'd make more sense to play to the brand's strengths.

Not sure why you show this video. I see the image falling apart plenty. Lots of artifacting. Also at a maximum ISO of 800, well, let's be honest, that not exactly pushing the envelope now is it? Granted, Youtube compression does not exactly help. But I think the Canon has this soundly beat, and no doubt at much higher ISO's. The 1DX Mkii is said to be clean up-to 12800... Can the GH4 do this? And let's not even start to get into the focus system on the 1DX Mkii. After all, would it even make sense to go there? I'll give you this much, the 1080p on the 1DX Mkii needs to be cleaner. Really, no excuse for it not to be. I'm sure this is fixable in firmware. But everything else is golden.

2 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Definitely the nicest 8-bit 4K. They've always gotten motion cadence really, really right, and that MJPEG color feels so thick compared to other 8-bit cameras. 

Yup, the weight, thickness of the image is amazing. I wouldn't mind at all if they stuck with mjpeg for their future 4K offerings. 

1 hour ago, andrgl said:

I'm more impressed by how well the GH4 has held up. If this is what's to come from Canon, I'm sure people who bought into m43 will be happy knowing their investment is sound

I agree on the grade. Not feeling it at all. 

The 1DXii is going to be an amazing camera. I've been using the auto focus on the C300ii and it is amazing. I love the canon image. Want the FS700/7Q because it's cheap and has so many features, but I think this camera will do very well and the feature set makes it a useful tool for the years to come.

Hopefully the right balance of grading and custom settings will help get the best out of this camera... In that framegrab above, there is a good level of shadow detail in the clothing, the back wall etc... so maybe they were going for that look rather than protecting the highlights.

I would have bought this camera if it had C-log though... Of all the frustrations around canon, not adding c-log to their flagship DSLR ranks the highest.

Nice footage indeed, but knowing it could be 1 or 2 stops better is a punch in the face i'm not willing to take on a flagship model.

I can certainly understand the desire for C-Log, and it's a poor decision for Canon to leave it off their flagship model. No doubt that decision is going to cost them more than a few sales. Especially when one considers that Nikon includes log profiles on even entry level models. But that said I'm liking the motion cadence much more than my Sony A7Rii. To me this camera does not have that classic "film look"... rather it looks more like the modern take on what cinematic is evolving to be. I think the images out of it look great, and are very workable. This camera could be a serious tool for video production. The low light also looks good. It's clearly much more forgiving that a traditional cine camera would be under less than ideal lighting conditions. Another point is this thing is rugged... built like a tank, so no worries about needing to baby it. The camera is weather sealed also. For a gorilla style shooter, this camera could be ideal. IMO, this camera is looking like it might fit the bill as an all around tool. Great at video and stills. Loving the 14-16 fps stills mode. Auto-focus is epic in both stills and video. You can fly this bad boy and not worry about pulling focus. Yes, I would have taken a flip-out screen, two CFast slots... but most of all C-Log (Why no stinking C-Log Canon?) and 10 bit would have been very 2016 (well in this price range anyway). But in any case, I know of no other camera this versatile, while being able to shoot 4k 60p. The fact is most cinema cameras are also "permit cameras". The 1DX Mkii is much more discreet than say an Ursa Mini. I'm in for one. I've always loved the Canon look, and this 1DX Mkii seems like a workhorse and a serious pro level piece of kit. Mine should be in next week, I'll be happy to post a few frame grabs to let you know how it works out.

give the crew a $60k budget to shoot, and a $20k budget to pay for the edit/post for a promo video for the nex5n and the results would be just as awe inspiring.  The level of production value on this video makes it impossible to judge the camera because in real instances with these budgets they'd just add another $2k for the rental of an Alexa Mini for the couple of days of shooting.     $80k for 8bit acquisition and a lens mount incapable of using real cinema lenses, or $82k for arriraw acquisition and the ability to use cooke s4's..  

Nothing more annoying than consumer advertising techniques selling a dream to people that they'll be using a dslr to shoot these types of projects.

Lol you guys talk about thickness of the image like wine conocers talk about their drink.   Please stop. You cant possibly make judgements lile this from a compressed web video. You need the raw footage in your hands and know about how it was lit, shot etc. Most people who use cameras like the gh4 arent setting up huge diffusers to soften 1k watt lights or even the sun. Thats really where the difference lays when you see footage from a 10k camera and from a 1k camera

9 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Lol you guys talk about thickness of the image like wine conocers talk about their drink.   Please stop. You cant possibly make judgements lile this from a compressed web video. You need the raw footage in your hands and know about how it was lit, shot etc. Most people who use cameras like the gh4 arent setting up huge diffusers to soften 1k watt lights or even the sun. Thats really where the difference lays when you see footage from a 10k camera and from a 1k camera

As a viewer, how else are we to make judgements? I don't own the camera, probably will never use one, so I base my judgements on the images I see on my screen.

I don't know, maybe you're right... maybe the web compression makes every image I have seen from this camera blow away anything comparable. But that's just my opinion... I have an 8 bit palate I guess. 

I don't want to derail this topic but based on the Inazuma - mercer discussion: If you anyway produce for the web, how relevant is quality? I see so many "you can't judge by YouTube/VIMEO" comments on the web, when probably 95%+ of all footage ends exactly there.

Reminds me of the photography discussion of "how many megapixel and how big can you print it" when 99.5% ends up on Instagram/Facebook/flickr/500px.