GH4 - Time Code

Chris7

Never had this issue with other cameras.  For some reason, the clips I shoot with the GH4 don't have time code starting at 00:00:00 (see attached image).  I've tried the different settings on the camera (free run, record run).  Is this a bug in the firmware or am I missing something? 

I use FCPX and apparently no ability to change time code (as you could in the previous FCP7).  If you know of any software apps that can fix this, would appreciate suggestions! 

GH4_ClipsTimeCode_FCPX.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So, I went into the TIME CODE VALUE settings and pressed "RESET", then selected "MANUAL."  In the attached image, you can see it did reset to "0" but only once, then it started cumulatively again.  The highlighted line shown is the 2nd clip of my test - started at 00:00:11;00 instead of 00:00:00:00.  Any other suggestions?

GH4_TimeCode2.jpg

This normal! It continues where it left of, until you reset it again. Time Code wouldn't make sense otherwise, it is there to help you distinguish consecutive clips (and maybe synchronize them with other equipment). You wouldn't need the special function of time code for any new clip to start at "0", that is the case with any "normal" videocamera (without time code feature). You should turn time code off to get what you want, but I don't know if it's possible, I'd have to check the manual...