Nikon D500 vs. Sony FS7 4k Color Comparo

rdouthit

Today I put a Nikon D500 vs. my Sony FS7 to see if I could get a comparable look out of each with minimal fuss. I was pretty impressed with the results. 

Details: In this video we shot several scenes on both the Sony FS7 $8000 cinema camera and the new $2000 Nikon D500 DSLR. The Sony was in Cinema EI mode and shot on Slog3.cine with an Alexa-like LUT applied (Sony provided), it then received minor saturation and luma tweaks. The Nikon was shot using the Flat color mode and it too received saturation and luma tweaks. With more tweaking we're sure we could get color even closer but this was to test a quick grade since not everyone is a color master. We feel this is an easily-achievable match for almost any video editor. One thing to note is that the FS7 has a mountain more color information at its disposal. The Nikon requires that footage be shot correctly from the start. 

The Nikon was equipped with the Tokina 11-20 f/2.8 lens, the Sony camera used the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 DX.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

WI do like the Nikon D 500 image more than the fs7 (what a strange sentence!) just more filmic, the only place I see the fs7 has a more filmic image is in the dark and bright areas, it has more dynamic range and rolls smoother. But overal, that's a hell of an image / colour signature. That crop is a killer though. I'd buy one if it it was full readout i'd buy it as an A Cam , even with some aliasing & moire..,

I wouldn't say there's one overall winner here. Some scenes look better with one camera than the other. Like for example the one between 1:00 and 1:10, the Nikon has the same colour qualities that the FS7 did in the first scene, and vice versa. 

And in the final shot the D500 looks like a broadcast camera in comparison to the more filmic tonality and colours of the FS7.