Opinions on an upgrade

localstarlight

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Spent an hour or so reading about the Digital Bolex, feel like I want one, can't afford it right now.

Battletested KineMini sounds great! Not available though... Will have to keep an eye on that one.

And then after reading the article on underrated cameras (thanks Jimmy), I'm now revisiting the 5D2 ML raw, to see if I can avoid upgrading the camera after all...

But only 9 seconds of shooting at 1920 x 1076 ?! That doesn't seem very workable. And the reasonable resolutions only work on the crop mode, which seems impossible to monitor properly – granted I've only just started looking into this, but how is anyone shooting anything serious with this? Perhaps someone could point me in the direction of a decent guide to shooting raw on the 5D2?! Feel like I must be missing something, because I can't imagine shooting a real project on this. Hope I'm wrong!

1 hour ago, localstarlight said:

Spent an hour or so reading about the Digital Bolex, feel like I want one, can't afford it right now.

Battletested KineMini sounds great! Not available though... Will have to keep an eye on that one.

And then after reading the article on underrated cameras (thanks Jimmy), I'm now revisiting the 5D2 ML raw, to see if I can avoid upgrading the camera after all...

But only 9 seconds of shooting at 1920 x 1076 ?! That doesn't seem very workable. And the reasonable resolutions only work on the crop mode, which seems impossible to monitor properly – granted I've only just started looking into this, but how is anyone shooting anything serious with this? Perhaps someone could point me in the direction of a decent guide to shooting raw on the 5D2?! Feel like I must be missing something, because I can't imagine shooting a real project on this. Hope I'm wrong!

We have used the 5D2 raw for professional work across more than a dozen projects. Some of the quirks can be annoying, but the 14bit raw image quality is unmatched. The 5D2 does not shoot 1920, it is actually 1880. There is a framing guide option in Magic Lantern.

The 5D3 does shoot 1920 and can also do slow motion due to the faster speed of the CF card controller. And if you don't have one, the 5D2 needs an OLPF filter as moire will be far more apparent with raw.

I find myself in the same situation. I was really waiting for BM micro to finally be released so i could see some footage before i jump in buying it. And now, after seeing some test footage, don't know why their is so less proper footage out there, am not convinced i want to buy it anymore or save some more and go for the A7S II. Of course the price gap is something you should be aware of, but on micro there is other things you end up buying to make it work as a cinema camera. External screen, rig, maybe a 3 axes gymbal, an so on. You'll end up with spending at least 2000$ and comes closer to A7S. 

Anyways, if this camera had the sensor from the BMCC 2.5k with the same m4/3 mount would have been the best camera for pro enthusiasts no doubts about.