Anamorphics and Blackmagic’s URSA Mini: NAB 2016

enny

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

'Affordable Anamorphic

As someone who has to wear the producer’s hat at times, all of this means money saved while delivering higher production values. In the past, if a client wanted an anamorphic film, or music video, it meant you needed to rent not only expensive glass but a more expensive camera like an Alexa Mini. Locally an Alexa Mini rents for $750 a day whereas the 4.6K URSA Mini rents for $250. The extra camera costs can really drag a budget down or cause a client to drop the idea all together. With the URSA Mini you should be able to shoot relatively affordable 2x anamorphic. Affordable 2x anamorphic, a phrase I never thought I would write. This is brilliant of BMD’s part. They’ve single-handedly made the camera more appealing to a larger client base; a client base who likely ignored or openly mocked Blackmagic’s initial cameras years ago.'

I'd suggest as the producer he finds the extra $500 a day for an alexa mini and get his money's worth out of any anamorphics he's fitting to the camera (which will cost a lot more in rental than the camera).  makes no sense renting anamorphics if you can't use their full image circle.  a 3k image area on the ursa sensor is a 1.5x crop of an alexa mini in 4:3 mode!   The $500 saving on camera rental is moot.