Olympus Pen-F in Full Auto

Mattias Burling

• Super Members

I recently got an Olympus Pen-F.
The debate was between the Pen or a Fuji (x100t, xt1, x-pro1/2 etc). Ive always loved Fujifilm, even the small sensored X20 is an absolute joy to take stills with (to bad I needed wifi).

The stuff I wanted was,
Larger than 1" sensor
Range Finder styled
Awesome in camera colors
Wifi

The reason I got the Pen-F instead is because its almost as good a range finder as the Fujis. Plus it has incredible IBIS for video. And I already have lenses and adapters for m4/3. Both of them have problems in video regarding aliasing, but for the BTS and home videos I will use it for its fine.
If the X-t2 do in fact get 4K, so I can get aliasing free video, then I will upgrade. Maybe I will keep both the Pen and the Fuji... who knows, have a few months to deside.

Any who here is the very first video test I did. 
All shot handheld, in auto, no color correction or grading of any kind.

Like I said, Im not gonna use this camera for any serious video, grading, etc. Its my stills camera. 
And for that I love it. Its got great handling, lovely sound (yes thats important) and the baked Monochrome 2 is so sweet I don't have to use raw.

P4210151.md.jpg

P4230388.md.jpg

Some say the Monochrome 2 looks a lot like Kodak Tri-X. To my eyes its at least not far off. 
Here is a pic with actual Tri-X and an Olympus Trip 35.

13336750994_8ab75f1caf_o.md.jpg

And here is a Monochrome 2 from the Pen-F

P42303701.md.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
1 minute ago, BrorSvensson said:

The fuji x30 has wifi

I know but they ditched the OVF, that bugs me like crazy, I loved that. Still might get it. Or a X70 with external OVF.... Fuji drives me nuts, every single one of their models are so sweet and affordable. Have you seen the used prices here in Sweden on the X-T1 or the lower en Rage Finders (dont know their model names, they all sound the same).

35 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I know but they ditched the OVF, that bugs me like crazy, I loved that. Still might get it. Or a X70 with external OVF.... Fuji drives me nuts, every single one of their models are so sweet and affordable. Have you seen the used prices here in Sweden on the X-T1 or the lower en Rage Finders (dont know their model names, they all sound the same).

oh that sucks, yeah the prices are crazy low, im stongly thinking about getting an x100 for 2300kr used for stills.

• Super Members
6 hours ago, Nikkor said:

It's funny because I've been looking for a fuji too for a week or so. Unless you want video, any model is fine, I guess. The lenses are great, but expensive.

Thats why Im lucky to be in Sweden. On the used market they are very affordable.

5 hours ago, The Chris said:

Wifi card?

Seems to drain the battery without a workaround. Atleast on the x100.

6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Thats why Im lucky to be in Sweden. On the used market they are very affordable.

Haha, how much for the fuji 23 1.4?? Pff I really want that lens and the 35 1.4 because they have rangefinder couplings (is this correct? xD) for the x-pro. I don't want a mirror, but neither do I want to stare into a screen (I have enough computer time).

• Super Members

Here is a quick test with some rough grading. I just wanted to see how it reacted to being pushed and didnt fine tune, in other words, excpect ugly grades.

I say it holds decently. This was also shot in auto mode.

The Stills however does not need any grading at all imo.

IMG_20160424_182755.md.jpg

• Super Members
7 hours ago, BrorSvensson said:

Mattias are you the one trading it on Fotosidan? just curious cause i saw your picture of it

Its my ad, not sure if I actually would go through with it, just wanted to see if its possible. Think I want both now :)

4 hours ago, Flynn said:

I love how Gunpowder spotted that other French bulldog and was having none of it. LOL! So cute. Is she aggressive or protective of you around other dogs?

Only until she gets to say hello. Its usually when dogs are kept apart that they get stressed.

On 23 April 2016 at 10:49 PM, Mattias Burling said:

I recently got an Olympus Pen-F.
The debate was between the Pen or a Fuji (x100t, xt1, x-pro1/2 etc). Ive always loved Fujifilm, even the small sensored X20 is an absolute joy to take stills with (to bad I needed wifi).

The stuff I wanted was,
Larger than 1" sensor
Range Finder styled
Awesome in camera colors
Wifi

Any who here is the very first video test I did. 
All shot handheld, in auto, no color correction or grading of any kind.

Looks good Mattias, I'm going to follow this with interest as I use the Olympus cameras as I love the colours, the IBIS, and especially for stills with the small m4/3 primes.  Both of your videos looked great.  I'm still experimenting with the various profiles to get ones that I like that look good without having to mess with grading.  

In full auto mode (well, semi as I often use S priority), I find that the auto white balance quite good.

What lenses have you been using with the Pen (I see the Olympus 17.5/1.8 mounted)?

• 3 months later...