Aputure: the Blackmagic of lighting

Jonesy Jones

13 minutes ago, tupp said:

Okay.  I look forward to those charts.

Thanks.

Actually, I just thought of a great idea! Since you're based in Los Angeles as well, how about I swing by one of your shoots with a light? Coincidentally, the Aputure product manager and I are already doing a tour of film sets in Los Angeles anyways. Seems like you've done your homework on lights so you could give us your input and feedback, which would be invaluable. Likewise, regarding your questions, the product manager is better suited to have this kind of a discussion with you anyways. You can post your findings back here afterwards.

Send me an email at ted.sim@aputure.com. Let's do this! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
51 minutes ago, Ted from Aputure said:

Actually, I just thought of a great idea! Since you're based in Los Angeles as well, how about I swing by one of your shoots with a light? Coincidentally, the Aputure product manager and I are already doing a tour of film sets in Los Angeles anyways. Seems like you've done your homework on lights so you could give us your input and feedback, which would be invaluable. Likewise, regarding your questions, the product manager is better suited to have this kind of a discussion with you anyways. You can post your findings back here afterwards.

Baller.

I am currently using 2 Aputure 672s lights on lightweight 10' stands with 43" shoot-through umbrellas mounted for SERIOUS run-and-gun stuff... I mean like we have from 10-minutes to maybe 30-minutes to get the shots before we get either nailed by security or flat out arrested.
The guy carrying BOTH light fixtures may even have to climb over fences, etc.,

Using these Aputures was the only way this was going to work. And it surely does work. Killer. 

16 hours ago, DPStewart said:

I am currently using 2 Aputure 672s lights on lightweight 10' stands with 43" shoot-through umbrellas mounted for SERIOUS run-and-gun stuff... I mean like we have from 10-minutes to maybe 30-minutes to get the shots before we get either nailed by security or flat out arrested.

Holy crap, where are you shooting and what?? :-o 

18 hours ago, DPStewart said:

Using these Aputures was the only way this was going to work. And it surely does work. Killer. 

Nice! I assume you're using the 672Ws? Do they have enough oomph for moderately sized locations, or do you wish you had a Lightstorm?

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Holy crap, where are you shooting and what?? :-o 

A series pilot. Pretty edgy stuff. 

1 hour ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Nice! I assume you're using the 672Ws? Do they have enough oomph for moderately sized locations, or do you wish you had a Lightstorm?

No, the spot version. This is because I need the greater "concentrated" power going through the diffusor. Personally I never put LED panels on people without large diffusion, unless the light is supposed to be weird or effect-ish. Even a 12"x12" panel is really too small to not be a hard light. The bomb factor is the way the umbrella mount is already built into the standard included mounts Aputure includes with these lights.
Now, the 43" shoot-though diffusor umbrellas - those were really expensive....$13 each, heh...

EDIT: The lightstorm has great power, but the separate power supply would be too much of a problem for this application. A 1000-bulb panel runnning on V-Mount batteries would also work, but I'd have to rig up a different mount to get the umbrellas to quickly and easily sit in the right spot. We rigged up a little extra hardware to use both 672's next to each other behind one umbrella when we need more power. works absolutely perfectly.
As long as you don't drop them on concrete, the 672's are just KILLER tools.

23 hours ago, Ted from Aputure said:

I am certainly interested in trying the 120T, but, alas, I don't have a lot of shoots coming up in which it could play.  However, I am happy to meet with you to briefly test the fixture and possibly give some feedback.

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2016 at 3:28 AM, Ted from Aputure said:

Ted, any word on availability for the 120t?

So my original plan here was to use the sunlight from the window as a key, and the 120t as a fill. Unfortunately it started raining so I had to use the 120t as the key, and use a white board as the fill bounce. It's really bright and definitely needs some diffusion with faces b/c of the hard shadows. My favorite 2 things are the dimmer and the running temperature. It runs cool the whole time and you can pick it up to store as soon as you shut it off. Hopefully the daylight version will be out soon!

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

Pittman120t.jpg

7 hours ago, squig said:

I'm holding out for the daylight version. I found a Bowens fresnel mount for $100. Aaron do you know what the beam angle is? There's no mention of it in the specs.

With the cone reflector it is really narrow. If you take that off its really wide. I don't know the exact angle.

6 hours ago, jcs said:

@AaronChicago is it powerful enough bounce off a white reflector and still be bright enough for key? (solves the diffusion problem)

Normally yes. In this situation I had alot of natural light coming in through the window (although I was planning on evening sun beaming through). If I were away from the window or in a normal indoor setting, or was shooting in shade close to the subject, then YES it would be bright enough to bounce as a key.

Here I had the 120t directly in front of the subject. To the left of the camera. A little bit of diffusion.

Pittman120t_2.jpg

I haven't done any side by side tests yet but I think it's about equal brightness to an Arri 1K. I own a 650w so I'll do a side by side test soon.

Aaron, 

That seems like a bummer, but it isn't quite an apples to apples comparison. The 120T doesn't have the fresnel attachment. I'm hoping that with the fresnel, even when set to flood, will brighten up the 120T. Also, look at the spread. If the light from the 120T were focused into the same size, it surely / hopefully would be brighter than it is now. 

Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Herb said:

Aaron, 

That seems like a bummer, but it isn't quite an apples to apples comparison. The 120T doesn't have the fresnel attachment. I'm hoping that with the fresnel, even when set to flood, will brighten up the 120T. Also, look at the spread. If the light from the 120T were focused into the same size, it surely / hopefully would be brighter than it is now. 

Fingers crossed.

I hope you're right. Honestly I don't even expect it to reach 1.5K. I was just hoping for more than 650w.