Aputure: the Blackmagic of lighting

Jonesy Jones

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
50 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

Aputure COB 300d Comparable to 2k tungsten on a single source led. It's just a little longer than the 120d and takes two batteries. They said probably under a grand.

This thing's amazeballs. Under a thousand would be a steal. Too bad won't be able to find them here in VN.

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

This thing's amazeballs. Under a thousand would be a steal. Too bad won't be able to find them here in VN.

Same here in Korea. I need to import it but with the rate and the import tax and dealing with possible returns, I have to really need it to justify the cost and headache. On the bright side, living abroad has saved me some money.

3 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

Aputure COB 300d Comparable to 2k tungsten...

I wouldn't be too sure of this claim.  We need to see the photometrics with the beam angle delineated at 50% (one stop less) of max.

3 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

It's just a little longer than the 120d and takes two batteries.

Plus, it has a long ballast.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2017 at 0:16 AM, AaronChicago said:

That 300d is quite amazing. The amount of detail that they put into the lighting is astounding. Such as changing the pitch of 2 fans to keep it quieter. My entire lighting kit now is Aputure and Quasar Science.

I was very pleased to discover that nice little touch with the fans! Good job Aputure

6 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Amateur hour question here: what are the benefits of a Fresnel over an LED light panel? I've always worked with panels and found them super useful, especially bi-colour ones. So wondering why someone would opt for a fixed K value light over a bi-colour...? I'm gonna guess colour accuracy?

Yeah Accuracy, and the ability to have a lot narrower light beam. Also the Fresnel lens helps magnify the light just like a Lighthouse Fresnel does. So you can use a lower wattage lamp, bulb, LCD in them. And the good ones are built like a tank. Arri ones are for sure.

You have to have in reality all kinds of light to cover making a top notch film. Even bare light bulbs. Lighting is not an easy thing to pull off. It does take a lot skill. And I hate, a Bunch of light stands.

And the Bi Color ones are for high and low kelvin values. And you can get a bit of softer light on the darker yellowish LCDs compared to the clear or white ones.They are getting better and cheaper by the day. Heck some of the new ones you can just fold them up, who would have ever thought!

20 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Amateur hour question here: what are the benefits of a fresnel over an LED light panel? I've always worked with panels and found them super useful, especially bi-colour ones. So wondering why someone would opt for a fixed K value light over a bi-colour...? I'm gonna guess colour accuracy?

Fixed color temp will get you more light output at the same rated wattage. In bi-colors, half the leds are daylight and half are tungsten. So if you're at either daylight or tungsten, you're only getting half the potential light output. Even if all the led lights were going, fresnels would most likely offer superior light output, since there is a big reflector behind the lamp.

Also fresnels offer much more controllable light. You can go from zoom to spot, whereas with panels, you're at a fixed, often wide, beam angle. 

3 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Thanks @Kristoferman & @webrunner5, very helpful. I'd never thought about the bi-colours only being half and half, super obvious but I had never considered it. I'll make an investment into lights at some point and Aputure's stuff looks great, just got to work out what might make a good starter kit.

I think I would go for LCD panels for now, They are damn cheap, and for concentrated light you just get closer if you can, with a small LCD panel. Plus the fold able ones don't weigh anything! Sure have a couple of Fresnel spots is sort of a necessity though. Cheapest way to light is to go to Wal Mart and buy their 3x4" 2x3' what ever they have, white foam panels and bonce light with them, They are like 4 bucks each. They work wonders, beautiful effect, if the Wind isn't blowing like hell LoL.

• 9 months later...