Aputure: the Blackmagic of lighting

Jonesy Jones

I just got my Pixapro 100D MKII+ and a 120" softbox... All seems nicely built (I really like the softbox), but surprise! My 177Wh Kayo Maxtar batteries don't work with it. That means I can't use my 700€  investment in batteries with this light :confused:. The Maxtar's work perfectly with my 1040 LED panels, so I suppose the problem has to do with the power input of the 100D, but I can't find any clear info on this. I'll send them a e-mail to see what they got to say.

So BEWARE! If you already got V-lock batteries, make sure they work with it beforehand.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Okay, here is an update after I got a fresnel lens attachment for the Aputure 120t.

The Aputure light is brighter than the Arri 650, by eye. I used my CineMeter II app to take some Lux measurements. (Keep in mind that the app isn't 100% accurate but it is extremely accurate relatively. In other words comparing 2 readings will give a correct interval.)

At 2 ft. away it was reading

Aputure 120t: 15,000 Lux

Arri 650: 11,000 Lux

At 5 ft. away things started to even out.

Aputure 120t: 4,000 Lux

Arri 650: 3,800 Lux

Color temps:

Aputure 120t: 3050

Arri 650: 3150

I'm still not convinced that this is hitting a 1K equivalent. I'd say more like 800 watt.

IMG_0350.JPG

7 hours ago, John Emery said:

I just got my Pixapro 100D MKII+ and a 120" softbox... All seems nicely built (I really like the softbox), but surprise! My 177Wh Kayo Maxtar batteries don't work with it. That means I can't use my 700€  investment in batteries with this light :confused:. The Maxtar's work perfectly with my 1040 LED panels, so I suppose the problem has to do with the power input of the 100D, but I can't find any clear info on this. I'll send them a e-mail to see what they got to say.

So BEWARE! If you already got V-lock batteries, make sure they work with it beforehand.

Same problem here. A lot of v-mount batteries are only rated for 50, 70, or 80 watt loads. You can get v-mounts rated for up to a 135w load but they're usually more expensive. My 190wh Comer battery does power the 100D but it runs flat in around 20min. The 190wh Comer powers my 72w 1200 LED panel for over 2hrs. The 100D MKII is quite bright, I measured 11,000 lux at 1m with the 45 degrees reflector, and 14500 lux at 1m with a fresnel at around 20 degrees. The problem with the reflector is it doesn't cast a solid shadow and creates a bit of a halo effect. It also has a slight magenta cast. I think the CRI figures are exaggerated.

I took the measurements with a Cine meter II and a Luxi. I checked calibration against the published Fillex 180E and Dedo DLED4 photometrics and it was bang on. The measurements above were taken 1m from the LED chip. From the rim of reflector it's 8500 lux and the fresnel glass it's 12500 lux. Colour temp is 5800k with the reflector and 6000k with the fresnel. The cine meter tint reading is 15M ( 1/2 plusgreen for correction). It's 11 without the fresnel. In contrast the Fillex 180E (96 TLCI) has a tint reading of 1G.

6 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Okay, here is an update after I got a fresnel lens attachment for the Aputure 120t.

The Aputure light is brighter than the Arri 650, by eye. I used my CineMeter II app to take some Lux measurements. (Keep in mind that the app isn't 100% accurate but it is extremely accurate relatively. In other words comparing 2 readings will give a correct interval.)

I noticed you've got the fresnel lens attached in that shot. Where those measurements taken with the fresnel? And does that fresnel actually focus to 40 degrees with the 120T? On the 100D it only goes to about 20 degrees on the wide end.

2 hours ago, squig said:

My 190wh Comer battery does power the 100D but it runs flat in around 20min. The 190wh Comer powers my 72w 1200 LED panel for over 2hrs...

Only 20min? I'm a bit lost with all this... In the review of the 100D done by McGregor, he says that a Pixapro BP130Wh LED V-Lock Battery (supplied with the light) can last around 1 hour at full power. Hasn't a 190Wh battery got a higher capacity? Does it depend on the power it can output?

Just for the record.... a 177Wh Kayo Maxtar gives me just over 3 hours on my 1040LED Excelvcans @ max power.

1 hour ago, John Emery said:

I'm a bit lost with all this... In the review of the 100D done by McGregor, he says that a Pixapro BP130Wh LED V-Lock Battery (supplied with the light) can last around 1 hour at full power. Hasn't a 190Wh battery got a higher capacity? Does it depend on the power it can output?

Just for the record.... a 177Wh Kayo Maxtar gives me just over 3 hours on my 1040LED Excelvcans @ max power.

The Pixapro battery is rated for a 10 amp load. There's battery capacity (Wh or Ah), and there's load (amps or A). If a 5 amp load rated battery is connected to a 10 amp load the best that can happen is nothing, the worst is your house burns down. I'm not an expert on lithium ion, but I did my homework on AGM and gel batteries when I installed a solar power system a few years back. A high load will drain a lower amperage rated battery much faster. Solar storage batteries are rated at 10hr and 100hr discharge rates; the higher the load the faster the battery will discharge, hence me only getting a few minutes power from the Comer 190wh v-mount with the 100D vs over 2hrs from my 72w LED panel. The Comer max draw isn't specified but I suspect it's 70-80w. A 72w draw @ 14.4 volts is only a 5 amp load. Not all v-mount battery manufacturers specify the max power draw for their batteries which is really annoying.

So basically either we buy higher load rated batteries or a less power hungry light.

9 hours ago, squig said:

I noticed you've got the fresnel lens attached in that shot. Where those measurements taken with the fresnel? And does that fresnel actually focus to 40 degrees with the 120T? On the 100D it only goes to about 20 degrees on the wide end.

Yeah the measurements were done with the fresnel. Beam angle claims 10-40 degrees but I'm not sure if it goes all the way to 40. I had both fresnels about 1/2 way down (guessing around 25).

8 hours ago, rotgg said:

can you get barn doors for that fresnel attachment

Unfortunately no.

There's another Chinese LED fresnel contender http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Focusable-and-Dimmable-LED-Fresnel-Spotlight-60W-for-Broadcast-and-Interview/32595094675.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_10,searchweb201602_4_10017_10040,searchweb201603_10&btsid=e090920e-4c96-468c-9905-efe28aea3239&smToken=1383bb2caa75405f8d462134e1cf35a5&smSign=dAHarG7gPYLgQqyHTLMjfw%3D%3D It's rated at 60w but if the photometrics are for real it's in between the 120t and 100D for brightness; has no fan, comes with fresnel lens and barn doors, should run with lower powered v-mount batteries, and is cheaper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfPsGPY2YtU

There's a 100w version too, but it's twice as expensive and runs on 24v DC, so you can't power it with a single v-mount.

10 hours ago, squig said:

There's another Chinese LED fresnel contender http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Focusable-and-Dimmable-LED-Fresnel-Spotlight-60W-for-Broadcast-and-Interview/32595094675.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_10,searchweb201602_4_10017_10040,searchweb201603_10&btsid=e090920e-4c96-468c-9905-efe28aea3239&smToken=1383bb2caa75405f8d462134e1cf35a5&smSign=dAHarG7gPYLgQqyHTLMjfw%3D%3D It's rated at 60w but if the photometrics are for real it's in between the 120t and 100D for brightness; has no fan, comes with fresnel lens and barn doors, should run with lower powered v-mount batteries, and is cheaper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfPsGPY2YtU

There's a 100w version too, but it's twice as expensive and runs on 24v DC, so you can't power it with a single v-mount.

It looks like an interesting option, only problem is that buying from China and it going through customs can bring the price up a fair bit.

7 hours ago, Parker said:

Well shoot fellows... if the couple of us that ordered stuff from Pixapro had waited just a few days longer we would have gotten a lot better deal! The pound is tanking right now after the Brexit vote. So it's probably a good time to buy if anyone's still on the fence. 

Thanks for the tip! Just ordered one, can't wait to try it out

Just wanted to let you guys know that I contacted Pixapro (essentialphoto), and I told them my problem using the Kayo Maxtar batteries on the 100D. They were quite supportive and they gave me the option to buy their 130Wh batteries at the bundle price (135£), so I got a few, plus a double charger (also with a small discount). Not a bad deal given the £ to € rate. So yes, I spent a small fortune, but I'm keeping the light (which I like a lot), and it's huge but great 120" EasyOpen softbox.

So if you have the same problem and/or need batteries... contact them.

5 hours ago, John Emery said:

Just wanted to let you guys know that I contacted Pixapro (essentialphoto), and I told them my problem using the Kayo Maxtar batteries on the 100D. They were quite supportive and they gave me the option to buy their 130Wh batteries at the bundle price (135£), so I got a few, plus a double charger (also with a small discount). Not a bad deal given the £ to € rate. So yes, I spent a small fortune, but I'm keeping the light (which I like a lot), and it's huge but great 120" EasyOpen softbox.

So if you have the same problem and/or need batteries... contact them.

What's the run-time with the 130Wh battery?

I think I'm gonna return mine. I've ordered one of those 60w fresnels from China.

1 hour @ full power, 2,5 hours @ 50%. Not bad, given that 30 to 40% (with softbox, grid and double diffusion on) is the sweet spot when I shoot 800 iso with the BMMCC + Speedbooster. And if I need extra power, for exteriors mainly,  I can get up to  3 hours...

2 hours ago, squig said:

I think I'm gonna return mine. I've ordered one of those 60w fresnels from China.

I was tempted to do the same thing, but I do think the extra power can be handy. And I must say that I'm pleased to avoid customs (in Spain it's a nightmare) and all the hassle/cost of sending it back to UK.

1 minute ago, John Emery said:

1 hour @ full power. 2,5 hours @ 50%. Not bad, given that 30 to 40% (with softbox, grid and double diffusion on) is the sweet spot when I shoot 800 iso with the micro + speedbooster. And if I need extra power, for exteriors mainly,  I can get up to  3 hours...

I was tempted to do the same thing, but I do think the extra power can be handy. And I'm pleased to avoid customs (in Spain it's a nightmare) and all the hassle/cost of sending it back to UK.

I'm not sure it is more powerful than the 60w Chinese fresnel. Sure it draws more power, but there's other factors besides power draw that contribute to illuminance. We'll know for sure as soon as it arrives. There's a 100w version of that Chinese fresnel with a 24v input; if the 60w is close to the brightness of the Pixapro, I'm thinking of getting one and powering it with a 24v LiPo ebike battery. Works out a lot cheaper than v-mounts and should power the light for a few hours.

Sending it back is a hassle but it's just not that great as a hard light (which is what I really need it for), with a fresnel lens it's hard but the beam is very narrow. With the reflector it casts wonky shadows. I think that might be due to change from a rough to a smooth reflector surface on the rim of the reflector.

For anyone looking to buy a softbox for the LS1, this one is amazing. It collapses into an 8" circle (similar to the big round reflectors). Takes about 30 seconds to unzip, open, snap the magnetic frame, and velcro to the light.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1258825&gclid=CNnOwb_90c0CFQ-raQodPRgLwA&is=REG&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C52934714882%2C&A=details&Q=

d_fuse_d_fuse_df_1m_9_5x9_5_collapsable_

3 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

For anyone looking to buy a softbox for the LS1, this one is amazing. It collapses into an 8" circle (similar to the big round reflectors). Takes about 30 seconds to unzip, open, snap the magnetic frame, and velcro to the light.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1258825&gclid=CNnOwb_90c0CFQ-raQodPRgLwA&is=REG&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C52934714882%2C&A=details&Q=

Looks good, and I think they would work great on my Excelvcan 1040s. Only 2 cons... only grey imports available in EU, and the grid is overpriced (30$).

9 hours ago, squig said:

I'm not sure it is more powerful than the 60w Chinese fresnel. Sure it draws more power, but there's other factors besides power draw that contribute to illuminance. We'll know for sure as soon as it arrives. There's a 100w version of that Chinese fresnel with a 24v input; if the 60w is close to the brightness of the Pixapro, I'm thinking of getting one and powering it with a 24v LiPo ebike battery. Works out a lot cheaper than v-mounts and should power the light for a few hours.

Sending it back is a hassle but it's just not that great as a hard light (which is what I really need it for), with a fresnel lens it's hard but the beam is very narrow. With the reflector it casts wonky shadows. I think that might be due to change from a rough to a smooth reflector surface on the rim of the reflector.

Dunno, maybe the power difference could be due to the fan of the Pixapro.

I do like it as a hard light, but I use it without the reflector because it blurs the shadow edges. I might get a cheap reflector and paint it black inside.

12 hours ago, squig said:

@spuig: please tell us how you like the Cihenese Nanguang CN-60F light if you decide to order it. I am interested to hear opinions now after you have tried out the Pixapro 100D. 

23 hours ago, squig said:

It looks like the Nanguang CN-60F is a knock off of the LightPro DN-60F (or just rebranded)...

Could be a similar case to the AXRTEC AXR-A-1040DV and the Excelvan 1040LED (best bang for buck on the market IMHO), aside from some small cosmetic changes, they both seem identical. Axrtec is running for 749$ on BH, and the Excelvan is 200€ on Amazon.

Anyway, just to share the info with anyone that's interested... in the video he measures the light @ 1m with the fresnel on, and it's just under 5000lux on flood, and under 11000 on spot. Not bad at all, but less powerful than the Pixapro (18000lux with fresnel on spot). CRI rating looks better on the DN-60F.