video coming later but here are the highlights:
- Color Management System with ACES
- HDR grading
- Digital cinema delivery
- Tangent control surface support
  (including NEW "Ripple" panel)
- Group grading
- Grading gallery (still store)
- Price $149 (upgrade path for CF owners $49)
- Availability May (next month)

Should the still store mean that I can view grades as splitscreen-comparisons, this would be really exciting ...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, I assume it's like LUTx, all of your LUTS are stored in a gallery format and when you go to select one you can swipe through the image to see the original image and the image with the LUT attached. It's a nice feature. On LUTx, you can actually swipe the FCPX viewer as well to see the original. I don't know if you have tested LUTx yet, but it's a pretty nice plug in. This and the ability to adjust the highs, mids and lows, independently, is another amazing feature. But in my computer the plug in is too power intensive and slows down FCPX. Hopefully, Mr. Riddle will implement both of these features into Color Finale, because it is a much better plug in overall.

19 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah, I assume it's like LUTx, all of your LUTS are stored in a gallery format and when you go to select one you can swipe through the image to see the original image and the image with the LUT attached. It's a nice feature.

Grading in Resolve, despite the necessary roundtrip, is still more comfortable than grading in FCP X, for different reasons. The two most prominent for me are (1) saved grades represented by stills, as described in the Resolve manual page 600:

Stillstore.jpg

You don't grade 20 shots separately, you grade the sequence. You start with a defining shot, and you then compare the rest to this reference and match them. Within FCP X, there are two workarounds for this (maybe you know a better one): 

1. you can make a freeze frame of the reference by hitting alt+f and move it over all your other shots, making the splitscreen manually (cumbersome).

2. you can park the playhead on the reference frame and compare it quickly with "s" (skimmer on the current frame on/off). Easy, but somewhat limited. For instance, you can't directly compare the scopes which help tremendously in quickly matching shots.

This is what I hope the still store to do in CFP.

The second reason why I find Resolve more suitable right now is that every saved grade has a very clear node representation that lets you see at once what stages of correction were just for the clip and should be adjusted after copying the grade to another clip. 

3 hours ago, Axel said:

Grading in Resolve, despite the necessary roundtrip, is still more comfortable than grading in FCP X, for different reasons. The two most prominent for me are (1) saved grades represented by stills, as described in the Resolve manual page 600:

Stillstore.jpg

You don't grade 20 shots separately, you grade the sequence. You start with a defining shot, and you then compare the rest to this reference and match them. Within FCP X, there are two workarounds for this (maybe you know a better one): 

1. you can make a freeze frame of the reference by hitting alt+f and move it over all your other shots, making the splitscreen manually (cumbersome).

2. you can park the playhead on the reference frame and compare it quickly with "s" (skimmer on the current frame on/off). Easy, but somewhat limited. For instance, you can't directly compare the scopes which help tremendously in quickly matching shots.

The second reason why I find Resolve more suitable right now is that every saved grade has a very clear node representation that lets you see at once what stages of correction were just for the clip and should be adjusted after copying the grade to another clip. 

Interesting, I have only messed with test grades and haven't graded a finished project yet, but I know with Color Finale you can do a title grade (I forget what they call it) where you drag a Color Finale Title over top of your scene or your sequence and can do a finishing grade. 

6 hours ago, Axel said:

Stillstore.jpg

There is an easy way to always have a reference shot - and not a still image, but a live piece of footage - open in FCP when you want that.  

You make/grade your reference shot(s), put them in a library (which you could call "ColorRef") within your working event. Then just open the event viewer and put your ref. shot in there. Then you have a constant reference  to the left in the event viewer and can compare the rest of your footage to that in the player to the right,

It would be nice to have nodes. The best way for me to "copy" this in FCP is to save a preset including the different plugins and their settings for the reference shot. Then it is pretty easy to make these settings available for all shot in the timeline and make adjustments when nessecary.

• 5 months later...