Sony FS5 firmware update version 2.0 - FS RAW costs $600 / 500 euros

Andrew Reid

17 minutes ago, Nick Hughes said:

Are you on the newest firmware? That looks somewhat similar to the artifacting that was happening before the fix. 

Regardless of the FW, there's definitely going to be aliasing happening at 240, especially on vehicles and buildings. 120 seems better. Bummer there's no middle ground.

Ye I updated yesterday to version 1.11

I was expecting aliasing but this is so noticeable and could easily ruin footage in a professional environment.

Hopefully the raw update will improve this problem as on my fs7 180fps looks quite a bit better.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/24/2016 at 11:42 AM, TheRenaissanceMan said:

12-bit linear RAW is exactly the problem. That's why Blackmagic encodes in 12-bit logarithmic RAW, which unpacks to 16-bit linear in Resolve. 

Exactly.

On 4/24/2016 at 2:36 AM, Jonesy Jones said:

Why does its codec look so bad and it's raw look so much better?

Please point to where XAVC-Intra 24p is demonstrated as worse than FS7 raw 24p? Everything I've read and seen does not demonstrate that. 

On 4/28/2016 at 6:25 PM, nomadicanuk said:

So what would be the better purchase now - Sony FS5 with firmware upgrades & Odyssey 7Q+, or just the Sony FS7?

As nobody has used the FS5 with the firmware upgrade and an Odyssey, we really can't say.... I'm inclined to say that the FS7 will still be a better choice. And FS7 is certainly is currently a better choice if ultimate image quality is what matters most. 

However if Variable Internal ND / 240fps slow motion / HD (more than 4K) / small size is what matters most for you, then perhaps maybe the FS5 is a better choice than an FS7. Otherwise in almost all other cases go with FS7 instead. 

• 1 month later...

The fs5 raw codes are starting to ship now. Reports in that the 10 bit prores conversion is gives about the same or slighty better than the internal XAVC-I from the fs7 (which makes sense). Haven't seen anyone try the raw itself yet.

• 2 months later...

According to this Sony page 'Outboard 4K (3849 x 2160) recording via HDMI output (8-bit sampling, 4:2:2 color)'.

Speaking of which, interesting article about Sonys shooting the all new format: X-OCN (eXtended tonal range Original Camera Negative). A 'RAW' format that's good for lower filesizes and easier operation.

Don't think the RAW update changes anything about that, you're probably best off checking that with a Sony representative/customer service though.

The single 3G-SDI-output is supposed to do HD only at 10-bit 4:2:2 before any upgrades? Thereafter from what I've gathered:

The Sony PXW-FS5 RAW software upgrade key allows users to record 4K 60p/50p and continuous 2K 240fps/200fps on an external recorder, such as the Atomos Shogun Flame or Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q+.

The CBKZ-FS5RIF option key enables the FS-RAW interface output on the PXW-FS5 camcorder. This option will output a data stream via the 3G-SDI connector on the camera and provide the same data format as found on the PXW-FS7. When installed this will allow the PXW-FS5 to output 12 bit RAW up to 4K (4096x2160) 60p/50p and continuous 2K (2048x1080) 240fps/200fps to an external recorder. As the FS-RAW format is the same type as found on the PXW-FS7 the same third party RAW recorders and workflow may also be used with the PXW-FS5 after the CBKZ-FS5RIF has been installed.