Sony a6300 or a7sii for indoor?

Jasonlam

This has been asked a lot since the a6300 has come out and many has been explained the advantages of the a7sii but for me I don't really need the extra features of the a7sii, so I don't know if I should get the a6300 or the a7sii?

I should music video of myself playing piano indoor, and these are the things that I DON'T need from the a7sii in this situation:

• IBIS- The camera does not move at all
  • A bit better rolling shutter- save as above
  • Headphone Jack- Will record externally

Crazy low light- obviously I won't be shooting in the dark (however I wonder if the cleaner image at same ISO is worth getting)

So if you take those away it pretty much is the same as the a6300 despite the full frame, which leads me to the next point: Will the full frame image be way cleaner than the a6300? (note that I have to shoot in 30p mode too). I'm wondering if the supposedly lesser noise in the a7sii is worth the £1100 difference?

One thing I've been really unsatisfied about my pass cameras is that they're very noisy (been using the G7), often had to shoot above 1000 ISO. So obviously with the a7sii I don't need to worry about the ISO but would it be overkill, would the a6300 be fine? Even with the a6300 and a speedbooster its still way cheaper than the a7sii alone.

So should I get the a7sii or will the a6300 do? I've been using the Panasonic G7 and the dynamic range is real bad indoor (lit with sun light), as you know the piano keys are white and reflective so I always keep that below clipping, but by doing that the shadows are all crushed and noisy. Plus the fact that I need to set my aperture around f/4 to let more of the keys in focus so I'm forced to use higher iso.

Many thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The A6300 is probably the best performing APS-C sensor out there. I believe you can just set it to ISO3200 and not worry about it. ISO6400 seems rather acceptable. Checkout test videos, sub-10K ISO the A6300 doesn't give much away to the A7 cameras. Apply some slight Neat Video noise reduction in post and you should be good to go. Also, the A6300 appears to retain details and color just nicely at higher ISO. You can of course invest in some lighting equipment to fill every nook and cranny around your performance with light and even out hotspots better. There's going to be the issue of reliability... as the A6300 is prone to overheating.

Unless you need to shoot at nightvision-like sensitivity with only candle- or moonlight I think the A6300's performance should be perfectly usable for your application. If you can re-do a take (you don't state if it's home recordings or events), the reliability of the A6300 might not be a big issue.