Panasonic GX80 - 5 Axis IBIS works on video!

ntblowz

8 minutes ago, Fatalfury said:

I think the IS on GX80/GX85/GX7-M2 is mechanically implemented thanks to the new compact sensor tech. GX8 itself is in difficult situation when the lower end model is in some (actually very important) ways more advanced model. Shame that the GX80 battery is so weak, but that problem will be liquidated in GH5. 

Yep.  I use my GX8 for both video and photos and am getting very good results with the well stabilised 1080 video, even if it is only 4 axis.

Buying a GX80 as well might be a great option for dedicated video, but the audio syncing and lack of tilting screen is a pain. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

You must have missed the part where it does have a tilting display...

Probably he's mentioning the lack of vari-angle. It's an error in my opinion; in that price bracket and with the 5axis it would have been great to shoot selfie vlogging style or not to kill yourself shooting somebody while walking backwards.

The GH5 can't arrive soon enough!!!! I hope it carries all of this!

Yeah, that be my way of implementation too. A vari-angle screen. The E-M5II, which this is kind of similar to, should've been it... but unfortunately isn't (maybe the E-M2).

Sony have some great higher segment stuff, but that's twice or thrice the price of the GH4. The A6300 is the direct competitor I'd say, but I can't say I'm eager to jump on that one. That's a good oppertunity for Panasonic to swoop in and claim the segment throne. But I hope they don't rush it. I want a good implementation.

GH4, but better sensor chip infrastructure of pulling data and enhanced processing for: cleaner high sensitivity (they should be able to come up with something that's fairly clean up to ISO6400 and well recoverable with denoising), better bit date: improved color & dynamic range, better rolling shutter performance. Of course global shutter would really nail it! But we've learned that's tricky and comes with performance penalties, so I don't see them doing that quite yet. Could be higher MP sensor with 5 ~ 6K. Better codec/bitrate. New LOG approach, maybe V-LOG XL. If they could pull a Blackmagic and do internal ProRes, that would be wicked, but something else I don't see happening quite yet. Anamorphic shooting with de-squeeze. Remember, they've been hammering that the GH4 wasn't designed with all these later add-ons in mind, they're just 'freebies' because of demand and looking into it. The GH5 will be designed as a more serious indy filmmaking tool right from the get-go. In that it should work pretty sweet. Probably getting an EVF update. The vari-angle touchscreen is of course already implemented. For audio interface they might take a look at how the Canon 80D has implemented it. Batterylife is already great. Dual-SD slot is a must. I'd love a battery grip that includes a storage solution much like the PIX-E series field recorder/monitors have, so maybe a new intelligent connector on the bottom. Maybe some nice little accessory that gives you two XLR inputs. Anyways, it would take a while to come up with something like that and implement it well, and the longer they wait, the more likely the tech will be around to support it. So... announcement... no earlier than Photokina. Roll-out, maybe Christmas, maybe Q1 2017. Of course, by then probably the A6500 is already there. But we'll see then.

I am surprised, not not so many people are as excited about the Panasonic GX85. It seems to have solved two of the biggest issues with Panasonic cameras, namely shutter shock and in-camera stabilization. It will obviously move all these, and add a lot more to the GH5. But, for the $797.95 price tag, for the camera AND the lens, it's a superb deal.

Atleast it doesn't overheat like crazy and become unusable well before 30 mins of continuous use, have terrible rolling shutter, and some curious color science. Though the lack of headphone jack is really a bummer. Panasonic would at best have saved $3 per camera. Like seriously???

This is exciting but it's not something I would purchase for the same reason I will not purchase the G7.  I would like to record internal 4k and monitor via HDMI.  If the GX85 allows HDMI monitoring while recording 4K internally, then I will consider purchasing, especially if it does as well as the G7 at high ISOs.

3 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

This is exciting but it's not something I would purchase for the same reason I will not purchase the G7.  I would like to record internal 4k and monitor via HDMI.  If the GX85 allows HDMI monitoring while recording 4K internally, then I will consider purchasing, especially if it does as well as the G7 at high ISOs.

I guess Panasonic somewhere it trying to save it's Premium Range (the GH series) from mid range one, so it conveniently disables some features. The G7 already does far better low light than the GH4, at half the price (with a kit lens), so they had to be careful. They have added 5-axis IS and a new shutter mechanism to the list, so they removed some stuff.

With an Atomos monitor you can monitor the recording on the monitor, so that should not be an issue, I guess. 

29 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I am surprised, not not so many people are as excited about the Panasonic GX85.

Though the lack of headphone jack is really a bummer. 

Lack of mic input is the real bummer. Add to that the lack of any cinelike profile and now you see why there is little excitement. 

At least the dual IS looks very nice: http://bcove.me/extn978a

http://www.thevideomode.com/equipment/panasonic-lumix-gh5-2295/

I am more excited for a GH5 with dual IS...

8 hours ago, sanveer said:

could you share the source. Also, I could not see a mic socket in the B&H pics.

It originally said -

"External Microphone Input: 2.5mm for external microphone, Stereo/Monaural is selectable when attaching DMW-MS1 (optional)"

I think it could have been a mistake un-fortunetly :( .

1 hour ago, Chrad said:

I hope they'll feature the 5 axis IS in the GH5, but I'm not sure. They excluded it from GH4 after introducing IS in the GX7.

Then again, they'd be foolish not to include it now that it's a feature of the Sony flagships.

I may be wrong, but they excluded it then, because they believed that 4k (internal) would be an issue. They obviously solved this issue, it appears. 

I just recently bought the FZ300 and it has the 5 axis in 1080p, but not in 4K. And even in 1080p it is a dual IS system that requires the in body and the lens stabilization to work. 

With 4K it just uses the ois from the lens. But the worst part is how confusing they describe the IS. So, that is my fear me with this camera.

From the announcement, it sounds like there is in body, 5 axis stabilization, in 4K, but then they discuss the need for OIS lens stabilization for dual IS.

So are they being vague and you need the OIS lens to get the full 5 axis in 4K, or with the OIS lens you are getting like 7 axis?

Is that a thing?

So, the question is, can I use manual lenses, in 4K, and get 5 axis stabilization?

To be honest, I find it a little suspect that their latest models cannot even do 3 axis, in body stabilization, in 4K without an OIS lens, but this can do in body 5 axis?

Yeah, the way they make it sound is that either way it results in 5-axis stabilization, just perhaps not Dual (2-axis O.I.S. correcting two of the same axis as the 5-axis B.I.S.).

The LUMIX GX85 incorporates a new 5-axis Dual I.S. (Image Stabilizer) for more effective suppression of blur. Combining an O.I.S.(Optical Image Stabilizer, 2-axis) and a B.I.S.(Body Image Stabilizer, 5-axis), the 5-axis Dual I.S. compensates for a larger range of movement than ever before.

So yeah... hum. :grin:

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I just recently bought the FZ300 and it has the 5 axis in 1080p, but not in 4K. And even in 1080p it is a dual IS system that requires the in body and the lens stabilization to work. 

With 4K it just uses the ois from the lens. But the worst part is how confusing they describe the IS. So, that is my fear me with this camera.

From the announcement, it sounds like there is in body, 5 axis stabilization, in 4K, but then they discuss the need for OIS lens stabilization for dual IS.

So are they being vague and you need the OIS lens to get the full 5 axis in 4K, or with the OIS lens you are getting like 7 axis?

Is that a thing?

So, the question is, can I use manual lenses, in 4K, and get 5 axis stabilization?

To be honest, I find it a little suspect that their latest models cannot even do 3 axis, in body stabilization, in 4K without an OIS lens, but this can do in body 5 axis?

It has 5-axis stabilization in the body itself, plus another 2-axis from the lens (New 5-axis in-body sensor stabilizer works with LUMIX 2-axis optically stabilized lenses in video and still capture modes using class-leading Dual Image Stabilization). Source: http://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-interchangeable-lens-ilc-cameras/DMC-GX85K.html 

The lens is usually sufficient for photos (like in the GX8 test in some site). The 5-axis will be gr8 for video (it is, like tested by people already). Also, it actually means that you should be able to use some non-Panasonic lens, with very respectable (as good) stabilization, unless Panasonic has disabled it to save battery, or their lens lineup.

Btw, this is from ePhotozine.com (https://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-gx80-gx85-review-29143/performance):

"We tested the in-camera sensor based 5-axis image stabilisation system, by using the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lens which lacks lens based image stabilisation, and we were able to take shots at 1/5th of a second and still get a sharp shot, which we were also able to match with the Olympus OM-D E-M5. The image stabilisation appears to work as well when using the continuous shooting mode as well. "

I guess, now Panasonic officially matches the 5-axis stabilization of the Olympus cameras. I also hope the video stabilization WITHOUT Panasonic lenses is as good. 

15 minutes ago, sanveer said:

It has 5-axis stabilization in the body itself, plus another 2-axis from the lens (New 5-axis in-body sensor stabilizer works with LUMIX 2-axis optically stabilized lenses in video and still capture modes using class-leading Dual Image Stabilization). Source: http://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-interchangeable-lens-ilc-cameras/DMC-GX85K.html 

The lens is usually sufficient for photos (like in the GX8 test in some site). The 5-axis will be gr8 for video (it is, like tested by people already). Also, it actually means that you should be able to use some non-Panasonic lens, with very respectable (as good) stabilization, unless Panasonic has disabled it to save battery, or their lens lineup.

Btw, this is from ePhotozine.com (https://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-gx80-gx85-review-29143/performance):

"We tested the in-camera sensor based 5-axis image stabilisation system, by using the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lens which lacks lens based image stabilisation, and we were able to take shots at 1/5th of a second and still get a sharp shot, which we were also able to match with the Olympus OM-D E-M5. The image stabilisation appears to work as well when using the continuous shooting mode as well. "

I guess, now Panasonic officially matches the 5-axis stabilization of the Olympus cameras. I also hope the video stabilization WITHOUT Panasonic lenses is as good. 

If I can use my c-mount lenses and get 5 axis... that would be wicked!!!

The lack of a microphone input does suck, but with a simple L-bracket, one of those new, tiny juiced link recorders and a rode micro, you can have a small and simple, one man band, run & gun, footprint.