Panasonic GX80 - 5 Axis IBIS works on video!

ntblowz

15 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

The GH3 has a 2.3 crop. Maybe you're thinking of the GX8, which is more severe. 

Unless the technical specification given for the gh4 is incorrect. And if the gh4 uses a native qhd crop then it mathematically must be 2.5 crop.  The 2.3 was a mistake that was parroted.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, Inazuma said:

I was worried that we might get big crop or some weird resolution to the image (like Olympus cams) but no, it just looks like your usual Panasonic footage!

Looking forward to this camera, as it might convince me to sell my Olympus cameras, although I still prefer the Olympus colours vs my lx100/g7, and the image looks pretty good with shallow depth of focus stuff.

Actually, the e-m5 2 has newer firmware that has no crop when using sensor stabilisation only. When using sensor plus digital stabilisation there is a crop.  I wish they would update the firmware to allow shutter/aperture changes in the dials while recording.

On 21 April 2016 at 3:24 PM, furfoot said:

Anyone found a video showing the C-AF in video? Judging from this video of the ZS100/TZ100 panasonic seems to have finally fixed the hunting associated with contrast af in video (DFD at work?).  If I can get focus pulls like that with the GX80 touchscreen I'm ordering it with 12-35 and 35-100 (jitter gone with 5 axis?).

I find the autofocus on the g7 not bad either, but I haven't tried the c-AF when shooting video, only s-AF. Funny how they keep adding these small incremental features as they go (s-AF during recording does not seem to work on my lx100).

i really hope the gx80 ibis fixes the p35-100/2.8 jitter as it is such a nice compact lens and you can get all the extra zoom you need with no image penalty using the digital teleconverter (DTC).

I also saw a video of the GX80/ 85/ 7ii, where the zoom function in-camera is used to replicate a dolly shot, and I thought it's pretty neat. So it effectively replaces a stabilizer and dolly (for HD). These may seem small, but they are actually pretty neat functions.

Even the focus in video seems improved (especially considering he was using an Olympus lens, so DFD or similar tech may not help with as smooth and quick focus). 

Last week I used my RX100 IV to test the best stabilization mode offered by that and although that one is limited to 1080p 50p, I think it does a pretty amazing job. Not as good as the GX80 obviously, but still I was very suprised. Unfortunately I dont have any clips to share since my Vimeo quota has been reached until next wednesday :(

10 minutes ago, jase said:

Last week I used my RX100 IV to test the best stabilization mode offered by that and although that one is limited to 1080p 50p, I think it does a pretty amazing job. Not as good as the GX80 obviously, but still I was very suprised. Unfortunately I dont have any clips to share since my Vimeo quota has been reached until next wednesday :(

OT but do you like the RX100iv better than the LX100?

1 hour ago, jase said:

Ditto the RX10. Any of them. No interchangeable lenses, but the stabilization is quite excellent for run and gun.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

OT but do you like the RX100iv better than the LX100?

As similiar as they look like, I found them pretty different.

If you need shallow(er) DoF, then skip the RX100 and go for the LX100. If you however need better slowmo and an even more smaller package, take the RX100. Codec-wise, I found them pretty similiar for the 4K option, 1080p is better on the RX100.

7 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

It looks as though Martin Wallgren shot another video showing off the IBS (with the Panasonic 15mm). Cute video with seemingly great stabilisation.

instagram.jpghttps://www.instagram.com/p/BE3qDpYknMs/

Looks good to me! For me, this is the camera to get, even if it doesn't have a microphone input.

Yeah this looks great. And yes this is the camera to get. Am already selling off a bunch of lenses so I can pay full price for it. I agree though, I do wish it had a mic input. I mean, the FZ300 has a mic input.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Yeah this looks great. And yes this is the camera to get. Am already selling off a bunch of lenses so I can pay full price for it. I agree though, I do wish it had a mic input. I mean, the FZ300 has a mic input.

From what I gather, the IBS ruins the in-body sound; so, you're only left with the option of off-camera sound. I've got a Zoom H1 and I plan on using it to the fullest with this camera. It's a cumbersome process to keep track of the audio and matching video files, but I find that if I do it immediately after sooting, it works.

So far, I've sold off a bunch of gear too... only my RX100 to go. Last month, I had bought a GX7 (before sending it back because the GX80/85 appeared) and just loved the combo of the GX7's Natural profile and an easy grading option of film convert. With the FZ300, Panasonic really gives you everything but a large sensor; however, I'd trade the microphone input for a large sensor, pocket-ability and the interchangeable lenses any day. The GX80 is going to be a great option for off-the-cuff style shots and possibly more serious projects too- a great allrounder. Some will say not an A camera, but in the right hands, it could be.

45 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

From what I gather, the IBS ruins the in-body sound; so, you're only left with the option of off-camera sound. I've got a Zoom H1 and I plan on using it to the fullest with this camera. It's a cumbersome process to keep track of the audio and matching video files, but I find that if I do it immediately after sooting, it works.

So far, I've sold off a bunch of gear too... only my RX100 to go. Last month, I had bought a GX7 (before sending it back because the GX80/85 appeared) and just loved the combo of the GX7's Natural profile and an easy grading option of film convert. With the FZ300, Panasonic really gives you everything but a large sensor; however, I'd trade the microphone input for a large sensor, pocket-ability and the interchangeable lenses any day. The GX80 is going to be a great option for off-the-cuff style shots and possibly more serious projects too- a great allrounder. Some will say not an A camera, but in the right hands, it could be.

Yup, my thoughts exactly... The GX85 on an L-Bracket with a small recorder and a rode mic. 

2 hours ago, John Matthews said:

It looks as though Martin Wallgren shot another video showing off the IBS (with the Panasonic 15mm). Cute video with seemingly great stabilisation.

instagram.jpghttps://www.instagram.com/p/BE3qDpYknMs/

Looks good to me! For me, this is the camera to get, even if it doesn't have a microphone input.

The video is actually very impressive. And his daughter knows her daddy is filming her and is in full form (with her cute facial expressions and head turns) in the video. 

7 minutes ago, sanveer said:

The video is actually very impressive. And his daughter knows her daddy is filming her and is in full form (with her cute facial expressions and head turns) in the video. 

Yes, something rather "cheeky" in her look, to use a British expression.

So far,  the only concerns I've had about this camera are:

1) Lack of Microphone (just use external recorder)

2) IBIS potentially ruins audio (again, just use external recorder)

3) Potentially, the lack off AA filter could lead to more moiré. I'm just not sure on how this will translate into video and exactly how much Panasonic modified their Venus engine to manage it. Pixel-peep on this photo of a pre-production release to see what I mean (look at the subject's right arm):

https://www.magezinepublishing.com/equipment/images/equipment/Lumix-GX80-6097/highres/Panasonic-Lumix-GX80-Detail-P1050537_1459799772.jpg

I took the photo into Lightroom and fixed it easily. I just hope the Venus engine can do the same in processing.

1 hour ago, John Matthews said:

Yes, something rather "cheeky" in her look, to use a British expression.

So far,  the only concerns I've had about this camera are:

1) Lack of Microphone (just use external recorder)

2) IBIS potentially ruins audio (again, just use external recorder)

3) Potentially, the lack off AA filter could lead to more moiré. I'm just not sure on how this will translate into video and exactly how much Panasonic modified their Venus engine to manage it. Pixel-peep on this photo of a pre-production release to see what I mean (look at the subject's right arm):

https://www.magezinepublishing.com/equipment/images/equipment/Lumix-GX80-6097/highres/Panasonic-Lumix-GX80-Detail-P1050537_1459799772.jpg

I took the photo into Lightroom and fixed it easily. I just hope the Venus engine can do the same in processing.

1. I agree, Panasonic did a shitty thing by saving on the tiny expenditure of a mic socket, and to save the GX7 line. 
2. The IBIS is noisy. Though, TBO, not any more, or less, that the one on the Olympus' either. I dunno how silent it is on the Sonys. 
Though, I feel, for good audio, one always still needs an (or a few) external mic(s). Also, I wonder of the shoe mount is active or passive, and whether Panasonic can fix the missing mic socket issue, by allowing 
3. Actually, most Panasonic cameras fix moire and other things in-camera, and they do it pretty well. I am guessing that either this is a non-Panasonic lens, or the the user didn't switch between Panasonic and non-Panasonic lenses, in camera. But, it is pretty bad. The Fringing is very weird looking. Almost like Iridescent of some sort. It almost looks like her jacket is a 2-tone jacket.

It's not a good thing to have to fix photos for things like purple fringing in post. It almost has that strange iridescence look. 

I think we should inform Panasonic on all social media, and keep telling them what we want in the GX80/ GX85/ GX7ii. 

On 30 April 2016 at 9:40 AM, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Ditto the RX10. Any of them. No interchangeable lenses, but the stabilization is quite excellent for run and gun.

Is the rx10ii stabilisation decent? This article says that there is a fair bit of jitter that put me off.  I don't like the jitter as in my p35-100/2.8.

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2016/03/02/sony-rx10-ii-review/

i was considering the rx10ii as it has the ND built in, a good range and the slow motion. 

I find that the lx100 has really good stabilisation, and it would be killer if they put 5 axis in the next version.

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

3. Actually, most Panasonic cameras fix moire and other things in-camera, and they do it pretty well. I am guessing that either this is a non-Panasonic lens, or the the user didn't switch between Panasonic and non-Panasonic lenses, in camera. But, it is pretty bad. The Fringing is very weird looking. Almost like Iridescent of some sort. It almost looks like her jacket is a 2-tone jacket.

I thought this might be the case. I'm still curious with the gx80 as it's the first AA-free filter sensor from Panasonic and the Venus engine. I'm sure it's going to increase the difficulty in removing moiré. Then again, we probably shouldn't be too obsessed with that.

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

I think we should inform Panasonic on all social media, and keep telling them what we want in the GX80/ GX85/ GX7ii. 

I'm not sure if it would matter for this model as they've already started manufacturing. Also, I'm sure they're aware of what we want and I'm also sure they were very careful about what they didn't include in this camera. I think they don't want the only reason for why you would buy a GH5 to be ergonomics and a couple more picture profiles. Still, telling them to include a 30 cent microphone jack probably can't hurt... especially considering the flawed sound from the GX80/85.

54 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

I'm not sure if it would matter for this model as they've already started manufacturing. Also, I'm sure they're aware of what we want and I'm also sure they were very careful about what they didn't include in this camera. I think they don't want the only reason for why you would buy a GH5 to be ergonomics and a couple more picture profiles. Still, telling them to include a 30 cent microphone jack probably can't hurt... especially considering the flawed sound from the GX80/85.

They can tweak the Cinelike D & V (Especially since they would have disabled the HDMI for external recording). Their burst mode is the same as the GX8, which is pretty stellar. I hope they improve a few things via firmware.

I believe Panasonic needs to work with Manufacturers, and have Atleast 3 good and affordable f.95 lenses in place, a 24mm (12.5mm), a 35mm (17.5mm)and a 50mm (25mm) equivalent prime range. Maybe they could collaborate with Sigma for the cheaper lenses (or even Mitakon, since the only noticeable issues with Mitakon lenses appear to be 'incorrect' f-stop marking on the lens, and the flare, which frankly I feel may be adding to dynamic range, like a ultra-low density filter). 

I also hope Panasonic improves its supply chain. Here they still Don't have the G7, GX8, LX100, etc etc. They got the FZ1000 a short while ago. I had met a council in Panasonic a year or so ago, and the first thing I told him was that their marketing and supply chain is crap. He agreed, and also insinuated some shady stuff happening inside Panasonic, but it ended there. No improvement in either department. 

I see the Canon 1300D Ads EVERYWHERE. They could have spent Atleast a Few Million Dollars in each country. Panasonic still has terrible marketing, for many countries. 

9 minutes ago, sanveer said:

They can tweak the Cinelike D & V (Especially since they would have disabled the HDMI for external recording). Their burst mode is the same as the GX8, which is pretty stellar. I hope they improve a few things via firmware.

Yeah, I guess it can't hurt to at least tell them what we want, but I can't help thinking that there's some marketing "genius" at Panasonic grinning every time someone asks for some little change to a camera (especially in firmware). Isn't that the reason why they get people people to buy the latest and greatest? If they offered the "perfect" camera, they would have a tough time selling the next one. Still, there has been amazing progress on the video front in the past 5-10 years.

9 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I see the Canon 1300D Ads EVERYWHERE. They could have spent Atleast a Few Million Dollars in each country. Panasonic still have terrible marketing, for many countries. 

Canon has a great marketing team! Who else can sell virtually the same product over and over to the masses without having to actually innovate. They're in a unique position. Like most Japanese companies, the boss is viewed as a "god." That means big mistakes can be made. Companies like Panasonic also seem more Japan-centric. If they do well in Japan, they probably think it's "good enough." Also, Panasonic is playing a different game than Canon. I think they're trying to convince people to move to their system whereas Canon is trying to convince people to stay in their system. One is harder than the other and Panasonic probably chooses to put their money in places where they feel makes the most impact. But, then again, who am I to say?