Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sony RX100: Getting the best video out of it...

153 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Those tests don't take into account highlights. So even if ISO 125 is clean in the shadows, who knows what happens to the highlights. 

BydrodoFieddy likes this

Posted · Report post

I've never seen noise showing up in highlights more than in shadows. Is that even possible?

richg101 likes this

Posted · Report post

I think this should be the worse it gets, I don't usually see ISO noise tests in highlights, or at least not that I remember.

They would probably need to be done on highlights right before they blow up completely, no point doing it for overexposed burnt out white areas of the image, as those will probably show no noise at all.

Noise is usually a problem in underexposed areas, not so much in properly exposed or overexposed ones.

Posted · Report post

Not noise, I meant blowing out the highlights earlier. That's what happens when cameras go less than native db or ISO usually.

Posted · Report post

I took a video of a dawn sky today - one in Shutter priority, in Portrait profile and custom settings - usually looks the best from my own tests

And another video in Superior Auto mode.

The SAM video look way better - not sure what the RX100 is doing, but the whole scene was better lit....

I have DRO on 2 in my custom settings, so it's not that :)

I'll post a  comparison later

Posted · Report post

I took a video of a dawn sky today - one in Shutter priority, in Portrait profile and custom settings - usually looks the best from my own tests

And another video in Superior Auto mode.

The SAM video look way better - not sure what the RX100 is doing, but the whole scene was better lit....

I have DRO on 2 in my custom settings, so it's not that :)

I'll post a  comparison later

That'd be interesting to see...

Posted · Report post

Link is broken...

Posted · Report post

Yeah, does it even do anything when shooting videos?

Posted · Report post

Nice one, but I would leave Steady Shot in standard mode by default, Active mode crops too much out of an already small sensor. I'd save it for situations where more extreme stabilizing is required.

Posted · Report post

Is it just me or the NR High setting actually results in more grainy video ? I tested this at ISO 1600. Can anyone confirm this ?

And about 50i 24 setting, I've run some tests, and the video shot at 50i is more clean, not by much but it is visible. However, at least on my RX100 this settings gives me weird looking video, any motion has some kind of staccato effect or how's called. Played on OS X on Movist, Quicktime, VLC. Playd on Windows Media Player. Played on Windows Media Center trough a Full HD LED TV at 50Hz. Loaded in Premiere CS 6, export to progressive 25p quicktime mov but still, motion looks weird to me. The motion is not fluid, everything moving looks like it's leaving trails or something. The 50p settings looks soooo smooth.

Posted · Report post

Could be because of the interlaced file, have you tried de interlacing first?
Could also be the shutter speed you're using.
50p will definitely look smoother, but not necessarily more cinematic.

As for the NR features, I don't use them, I'd rather do it in post if I really need it than have damaged footage because of it.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, does it even do anything when shooting videos?

Well it does something - the backlight icon flashed when I was shooting the dawn sky

Still haven't gotten around to doing the videos, but here are some screen caps

SAM top - they sure look different, taken 1minute apart

20INRmG.jpg

Posted · Report post

I haven't tried it on videos yet, but even for stills, I think it's only useful for non moving subjects.

What it does is it takes a burst of images and blends them all together, so if your subjects are moving the image gets blurred/ghosted.

It takes a while to save the stills like this, so I don't think it would do exactly the same in video mode.

Will need to do some tests, but maybe all it does when shooting videos in SAM is use different settings?

Posted · Report post

I'm out of the club, I sold mine! Lack of low-light performance when not at full wide angle amd the destructiveness of AVCHD at low bitrate and high ISO, didn't suit my dark style! ;) Til next time!

I suppose in the end I just wasn't feeling it, despite the great stats. I'll miss the tiny size and SteadyShot most.

On reflection too, when watching back my footage I had the same reaction as GH2 when it was cut together with Canon, yes it's sharper, but it feels a bit more... electronic... especially with people in the frame Call me fussy...

Posted · Report post

I know what you mean, it feels too fiddly and fragile when compared to a Canon brick, but with the RX100 I'm taking pictures again, it's always with me, and the 7D always stayed home, except for planned shoots.

The Canon image does have its special something though, regardless of soft image, alias, and whatever everybody keeps bitching about, there's a reason why most people keep choosing them over anything else out there. I have my hopes on the 7DmkII, even though the 5dmk3 upgrade could be awesome if they want it to...

Posted · Report post

I did get used to setting it fast with custom assigns, and I always felt it was reasonably solid, (though the battery door was annoying) but in the end the image matters most... I can shoot 85mm 1.4 at ISO3200 with a Canon and Magic Lantern, and get a clean image.

It was good for holidays though and run and gun in daylight, but that's not my main use (as you can see from my web site.)

Posted · Report post

I still think it's a technological marvel though, and exceptional for many uses, and easily the best compact ever created. I may re-buy it when they're cheap ;)

Posted · Report post

Yup. That's why I always wondered why people were crazy about the HX100v. It's electronically sharp (oversharpened) and the AVCHD breaks down. Same thing with the RX100 though I haven't used it personally but every video I've seen gives that HX100v vibe.

AVCHD breaks down even in FS700 but the 5dmarkIII all-i never breaks down that badly. Even the old Canon 7d I still have lying around, never broke down as bad as some of the AVCHD stuff I've shot with macroblocks flying. Except for some horrible aliasing here and there.

Posted · Report post

It's odd because even with the sharpness off it looks like video, much more so than the Canon. I tried to ignore it, but it bothered me... I recently watched some videos with Iscoramas, hacked Panasonic GH no matter how high the bitrate, and they still looked like very electronic video to me. Same with most Sony camcorders. I was recently shown a film without being told what it was shot on and said "AF100 or GH2" and the fellow was surprised that I knew, he probably expected me to say "film" or something silly! But it looked really flat, and I didn't have a doubt. Poor fellow...

There's so much involved in CMOS, AD conversion, gain, readout methods so on and so on, then codecs too, that despite the statistics two cameras can feel completely different. Canon give you piss takingly poor stats, but as long as their final image is lovely, they can get away with it. :S

Yes, the codec falls apart under motion, and motion is the most useful thing due to steady shot...

Anyway, technology only gets better. Even though I didn't stick to the RX100 in the end, it's a good sign, and a great piece of kit for most purposes and less fussy tastes than my own.

I dropped my HX9v in the sea. If I hadn't I would've kept it for b-roll, but in the end I could always spot the shots too easily, and that really annoyed me after a while. I thought "just be less lazy and do it all on the Canon with a rig".

Posted · Report post

Well I do think the RX100 looks more videoy than the GH2 - I own both.

GH2 tends to look pretty cinematic out of the BOX IMO - with the Nebula v7 444 Matrix, soft and sharp2 hack, even with the kit 14-42mm lens :)

I did this as a test on the RX100, and I think it looks pretty cinematic

Used portrait mode, all settings to minimum -3, in 60p mode, then graded in Vegas and conformed to 24p, some of it as 40% speed slow mo - the parts in normal speed look a bit jerky due to super fast shutter speeds and skipped frames. It was in Aperture priority mode F1.8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huQx_v9NdBo

Been thinking of grabbing the PAL version.....

Posted · Report post

Well I do thing the RX100 looks more videoy than the GH2 - I own both.

GH2 tends to look pretty cinematic out of the BOX IMO - with the Nebula v7 444 Matrix, soft and sharp2 hack, even with the kit 14-42mm lens :)

I did this as a test on the RX100, and I think it looks pretty cinematic

Used portrait mode, all settings to minimum -3, in 60p mode, then graded in Vegas and conformed to 24p, some it as 40% speed slow mo - the parts in normal speed look a bit jerky due to super fast shutter speeds and skipped frames. It was in Aperture priority mode F1.8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huQx_v9NdBo

Been thinking of grabbing the PAL version.....

Try a demo of ReelSmart Motion Blur, which re-generates the missing motion blur in high-framerate footage.  Just drop the effect on the shot in a 24p timeline.  It actually works pretty well in making 60p/24p footage less jerky.

Posted · Report post

Canon give you piss takingly poor stats, but as long as their final image is lovely, they can get away with it. :S

I'm curious if you think Canon's APS-C cameras also share that quality? I've never used any of their DSLRs that could shoot movies.