Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sony RX100: Getting the best video out of it...

153 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I have had a play with numerous profiles on the RX100 since my purchase last year. To be honest I have not seen much difference using a flat profile compared to a standard profile when it comes to grading.

Ir you look at the Portrait Style (standard vs flat) test image you'll see that even within the same profile, using flatter settings will give you a cleaner image after grading, compared to leaving everything at 0.
Of course we're talking about subtle details, but everything helps when you only have an 8 bit image.
Sending a flatter image to the encoder will allow it to do a better job, leaving you with less compression artifacts, banding, etc. One extreme example of this is the B&W test, just not having to deal with color makes the same bit rate footage look A LOT less compressed.

Posted · Report post

I have had a play with numerous profiles on the RX100 since my purchase last year. To be honest I have not seen much difference using a flat profile compared to a standard profile when it comes to grading. The camera is great but even at 1.8 is not great in low light with the small sensor and grading then becomes near impossible.

Here is a couple of examples shot with the standard picture profile with everything set at 0 except for contrast which is at -1

Thanks for posting the low light files, but really need native source files rather than encodes out of the NLE.

Bruno, do you have a low light MTS you could make available?

Posted · Report post

Looking at the 50i MTS files yes they're really interlaced not progressive...

Do you agree though that the images seem to be captured progressively and only interlaced when recording the file?
Do you see any interlace weirdness at all after de-interlacing?

Posted · Report post

Bruno, do you have a low light MTS you could make available?

I'll post something later on tonight that will allow you to evaluate color clipping, just hasn't had a chance to do it yet. :)

Posted · Report post

Interlacing is done at encode time so yes. Depends on the deinterlacing method as to the quality, haven't tried as yet.

Posted · Report post

Portrait is definitely the flattest, it has a better highlight roll-off than Sunset, by a bit of a stop.

If you use portrait all -3 and DRO at 3, then grade in a 32-bit RGB app like After Effects, that's as close as I've found to Cinestyle on this camera.

It's very good. Only the motion codec artifacts hold it back.

Posted · Report post

Great post Bruno, thanks for all of the info! It's great that you can get 25p out  the 50i footage. I wish there was a way to somehow get 24p out of this camera. I guess dropping frames is the only option. Sigh...

Posted · Report post

I just found a rather nice feature on the nex5n (which will be the same on the rx100 and other nex's)

You know how annoying it is when the image aspect ratio and brightness changes after you press record?  Well, set your camera to 16:9 mode on stills and you'll get more screen area to compose in before you press record, and the screen wont crop and change your view after pressing record.  Also for some reason you get a lot more accurate brightness/colour representation of how the image will look during recording, before you actually hit record:)

Posted · Report post

Yes, I've been using the 16x9 option for video recording, and I think that if you're in video manual mode you don't get that brightness change when you hit record, isn't that the case on the Nex?

Posted · Report post

Yes, I've been using the 16x9 option for video recording, and I think that if you're in video manual mode you don't get that brightness change when you hit record, isn't that the case on the Nex?

up until i changed to 16:9 mode I found whatever setting I was using, flat profile, black and white, dro on/off, 50p/25p etc,  when i pressed record the image changed very significantly from how it looked before pressing record.  Now there seems to be less of a jump

Posted · Report post

Yes Video Manual gets rid of most of the reframing issue.

The reframing is to do with digital stabilisation i think.

The colour change can be a bitch too, but again, it's not there in video mode.

Posted · Report post

up until i changed to 16:9 mode I found whatever setting I was using, flat profile, black and white, dro on/off, 50p/25p etc,  when i pressed record the image changed very significantly from how it looked before pressing record.  Now there seems to be less of a jump

Yeah, it's not about the settings, it's the shooting mode in the upper wheel, Manual Video will solve it.

Posted · Report post

Just a heads up, I've updated the Record Settings section and added the Shooting Mode and Dynamic Range Optimizer sections to the original post.

Posted · Report post

Awesome, thanks Bruno!

Posted · Report post

Bruno, thanks for this advice. My main gripe with the RX100 is trying to do 24p with the NTSC version.  Neither 30p nor 60p cleanly converts to 24p (at regular speed, not slow-mo).  It always has that weird, skipped-frame look.  

I've used Optical Flow rate conforming in FCP X to some success, but it's never been perfect.

I understand you're in a PAL region and are shooting 25p, but if anyone has any advice on getting non-jerky 24p out of this cam I'd appreciate the help.

Zach, Ratguity and Taxrummawoodo like this

Posted · Report post

I'm actually not in a PAL region at the moment, but I ordered the PAL version of the camera exactly because of that.

It's a shame Sony won't make these cameras world cameras.

Anyway, when shooting 60i (30p in fact), have you tried playing around with the shutter speeds and see what looks better?

Have you used 1/50? (the closest to 1/48, which would be the same as an 180 degrees shutter in a film camera)

Some people here defend that 1/40 looks more cinematic than 1/50, maybe you could try that as well?

I think that might get you closer than using optical flow retimes. At least for handheld or locked camera footage it should look pretty good.

Smooth pans or dolly shots could still look a bit jittery though...

Wateexpaftnem likes this

Posted · Report post

I just want to email sony and say "give us 24p" 

Posted · Report post

Question to OP (and everybody else).

How are you finding the RX100, especially coming from the canon 7D - are you satisfied with the quality, the fixed lens, and with it as a filmmaking tool - is it everything you expected it to be? Are you able to do the same kind of projects as before, or are the limitations of this kind of camera a bit to much. Basically, knowing what you know today - would you still have bought the RX100 as a filmmaking tool? 

Reason I'm asking it that I'm thinking about getting one myself - as a sole camera for minor personal projects until im more aware of my needs and then ready to buy into a system (camera and lenses).

Thx

Michael

Posted · Report post

I've tried pretty much everything - different shutter speeds, different conform tools - and the results are hit-and-miss depending on what kind of motion is happening in the frame.  It's got to be possible to get good results though; I read that Act of Valor was shot in 30p.  Maybe it's just a bit of a painstaking process.

I've also thought about ordering a PAL RX100 off Ebay just for the 25p.  

Posted · Report post

I don't find that 24p with dropped frames looks too bad (not amazing, but not bad), but it would be so much easier to just have true 24p. The biggest problem is trying to add the footage to other sources that are 24p. Otherwise I would just leave the projects as 30p, which in my opinion looks fine with a slow shutter speed.

Posted · Report post

I always forget that having a PAL model, the camera is a lot nicer.

Can you not shoot 60p and interpolate down to 24 or 23.976?

Posted · Report post

Interpolation looks really bad imo. Dropping frames looks much better, but still not perfect.

Posted · Report post

I have read it, but I am on a PC :(